Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a properly sized youth full face helmet for my son to wear (he'll be 4 in Feb.). His head bounced around pretty good even buckled into a car seat. Is anyone else having this issue and what have you done about it? We aren't riding fast, but the trails in the eastern KY mountains are pretty bumpy.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Get the neck support if you have worries.

·
If a frog had wings..
491 Posts
I'd be curious as well. My daughters are 4 and I went with ski helmets and goggles because it is so much lighter. I know they make toddler neck roles to help but they are still too bulky so I went with a lighter helmet

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be curious as well. My daughters are 4 and I went with ski helmets and goggles because it is so much lighter. I know they make toddler neck roles to help but they are still too bulky so I went with a lighter helmet
What are ski helmets? Like water skiing? A fellow riding friend suggested a bicycle helmet.

·
If a frog had wings..
491 Posts
Snow ski / snowboard helmet. Got them at a local ski shop. much more protection then a bike helmet but cost a lot more as well. It's nice because it also has warm ear covers to keep them warm. With a full car seat holding them in and a role cage my main reason for a helmet is sticks that whack their head or rocks that might get thrown from another machine etc. These are so light they dont mind it at all

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I have a ski helmet for my kids. Also bmx helmets are good as they have full face protection and a light. Both are not safe enough for a quad or dirt bike imo.
Costco is selling the ski helmets for less than $40 right now.
Also hocket helmets would work.

Down hill ski helmets are adjustable too.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Alot of place's require a dot approved helmet. I got a Beanie motorcycle helmet for my 3 year old daughter and it is dot approved.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
To me Dot or better yet Snell helmets are for the quad or dirt bikes. When the kids are older I will move them to one in the Teryx. There is an age/size/strength that is too small for that heavy of a motorbike helmet.

I have 5 point harness seat set up with adjustable heights and a overbuilt 4 seat cage for the kids with side nets for added protection. Picture of the cage is attached and there is a kids down hill ski helmet box on the roof. If you click on the picture to enlarge it, you can even see the adjustment for it on the back of the helmet to get the better fit.
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Car seat

Bike helmets have a bump out in back and don't work well with seats.

Some neck brace links are in this post to protect the necks until they get stronger. Next season my 3 year old is moving to an a dirt bike helmet with a neck brace. I think he will be 45lbs+ then.

link to neck braces in Teryx Forums thread

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Beanie Helmet may be a good option too. Haven't seen them small enough for my kids. XS Children is the smallest I have seen.

I like the hand holds in the earlier picture. :icon_thumleft: Little like ape hangers but they would work pretty good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought some motorcycle helmet neck braces, yet to use them so I will update after thanksgiving! Should be better than not useing them since my kids do complain that there necks are sore after a few rides of keeping those heavy helmets on.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought some motorcycle helmet neck braces, yet to use them so I will update after thanksgiving! Should be better than not useing them since my kids do complain that there necks are sore after a few rides of keeping those heavy helmets on.
I'd like to hear how your kids do with the braces. Do they allow for movement from side to side? Would they work ok with heavier winter clothes/coats? How how/big are your kids?

I like the extra protection the full face helmet I bought provides, so I'm thinking about one of these neck braces.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts