Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I decided to camo my T2. It is the base model where only black is available. I live in a mostly desert climate and it sticks out too much for me. I have seen and done some rifles in camo using Krylons Camo line of paints. I decided to give it a go on the Teryx. It is not finished at this time, but here are some pics.

First, remove all stickers and warning labels that you don't want or don't want to mask around.
Second, wash well.
Third, scuff all surfaces to be painted. I used green ScotchBrite pads. It was a little too agressive in some areas, this paint and plastic is SOFT.
Fourth, wipe down with a tack cloth.
Fifth, mask all areas that you don't want overspray.
Sixth, light first cote on all areas. You will use more paint than you think here.
Seventh, I added the second color, and filled in the base. You will go through more paint than you expect here.
Next I will go over all areas with these two colors in the daylight. I ran out of the Khaki, and so did Wally World. I will find more tomorrow,......hopefully.
Then add in the accent colors of olive drab and a darker brown.
After that, remove the masking and find more places that you want to paint (like the CV protectors that are covered by masking)

The prarrie dogs will never see me comming NOW,....BUAHAHAHA!

UPDATE: Finished filling in the light spots and added dark brown kinda like sticks. I just tore up some cardboard and used it as a stencil. I still have to do the seat base bars and reassemble everything that I masked and removed. I am going to let it set for a week though just to make sure the paint cures before I mess with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't see any pics my 08 was a base model in stock camo, I rattle canned my duck boat two or three years ago and it's still holding up. Now they are there looks good military rex.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I can see the picks, looks like your doing a good job.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Good job!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks good. I have a red 2011 and would really like to have black....I was thinking of trying to paint it but not sure how it would turn out. I'll be watching this thread to see if I may try my hand at it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good. I have a red 2011 and would really like to have black....I was thinking of trying to paint it but not sure how it would turn out. I'll be watching this thread to see if I may try my hand at it.
If you want it Flat black it would work most likely. It will take several cotes and probably a light sand in between to get rid of the rattle can marks. Since this is multicolored you can't really see them much.

I apparently sprayed the tan when it was a little too cold and humid. It has a slight sheen to it, where the green is FLAT. When it is warmer, I will touch up the tan.

Branches and rocks WILL scratch and chip the paint relatively quickly. It is easly touched up.

Total it was:
9 cans of green and Khaki
1 can of brown
1 roll of cheap masking tape
1 partial roll of 4"X 75" painter's plastic with tape attached.

I like it, and the wife likes it too!

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
that looks really good! nice job!

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Nice job.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, we like it. We will see how it holds up. I am leaving it to fully cure before taking it in the dirt. I painted it for the flat lands near me, but I have to go through some narrow trails with cedars that tent to hit the paint hard. Next week I will get some better pics.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
I like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts