Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lawdog's 2020 Teryx 4 LE Blue Line build

Howdy all. Been here since last October and have been meaning to get a build thread going. Seen some of you in the intro thread.... We ride in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and have other places in mind. As I said there, we needed the four seats now that my dad is going to be with us most trips. We'll be in some very rugged terrain often, so this machine will be made to go in the tough stuff. That's going to be the focus. I have a YouTube channel too and will try to get this featured in some rides soon. Finally got through the break in period and hope to put some more mud on it soon.

Will try to keep this thread going with updates, pics and rides. I will also try to do sections on some of the various mods as I have time. Please let me know what you think and if I can help, I want to. I'm new to the Teryx, but not to the sport. Learning a lot here already.

We picked this color and went for a '20 because of it. We had a scheme in mind the moment we saw it!

2020 Teryx 4 LE Atomic Silver... fresh off the trailer, stock for a moment.

Attachments

Reactions: SuperATV

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A few pictures...

After the first round of mods.

- Maxxis Carnivore 28" tires, same size all four
- SuperATV diamond plate front bumper & winch mount and 2" wheel spacers on all corners
- Motoalliance Viper Elite 4500# wide spool winch. Their winches have done me well over the years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude the hood looks awesome! Wish I had that idea 1st. Mine is green and would look good with a candy green striped flag!
Thanks! They make em I think. Shoot me a PM if you want info.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Second wave of mods...

I got a lot more done on the machine in the last couple months. First, I did some electrical work under the hood to get it ready for accessories. I added a Blue Seas Marine fuse block, a custom little bar where I can place the relays, and then added a positive bus bar that provides an easy power source for the switch illumination lights in the cab. Now, whenever I want to add an accessory, the wiring is much simpler to do. On that note, I added a budget Nilight 20" LED light bar (model ZH006) to the front bumper as well as a couple flush mount pod lights. I'm not 100% sold on the light bar yet, but for about $25, it was worth the flyer. I wanted a couple things--to use as much of that top bumper space as possible and also I wanted a bottom mount attachment. We might add a bigger bar on the roof later, we'll see.

I added some Trail Armor A-Arm guards. I had the full Trail Armor skid set on my last machine and it was fantastic.

Last thing... threw on a set of Chupacabra mirrors. Put them on the A-posts up high and upside down. This way, I can pivot them so driver can see the rear tires clearly... This helps when backing up in the bad stuff. No guessing! They're running $40 for the set and seem pretty good so far.

Next project is figuring out something better for the winch line. I like to run it out a bit so when I have to pull someone out, it's ready. :wink I am pondering fabbing something like a boat line cleat that I can wrap around a bit. Hmmm.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First real ride and aftermath!

Ran it up in the Little Belts here in Montana. Holy heck this thing is just a beast. We had mud and pretty deep snow in the morning and mud, runoff, water and more mud in the afternoon as it warmed up. Add fender flares to the list of things to do! I did put floor mats cut to fit in the front foot wells.... back seat floor is next. Need to get more organized in the bed area too before the next trip. Got a bunch of Amsoil coming for the first service... FINALLY got there. Eager to get back out and see what she can do. So far, very impressed. Wife is beyond happy with it.

Attachments

Reactions: rocksoffroad

·
Registered
46 Posts
How do you like the Carnivores ? I think they might be my next tire in the same size as yours. I've put too many plugs in the bighorns for my comfort. There are also a few deep cuts I worry about.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you like the Carnivores ? I think they might be my next tire in the same size as yours. I've put too many plugs in the bighorns for my comfort. There are also a few deep cuts I worry about.
Honestly, we don't have enough time in the stuff to give a full review. I am a believer that tires are among the most important changes you can make to a machine. Everyone is going to have different needs depending on where we ride.

I looked at several options, but knew I needed to get out of the Bighorn 2.0s quickly. They're a good tire for what they are, but we ride in some rugged territory and lots of rocks. We also ride long distances and in remote areas. So, a 6 ply tire just isn't an option for us. I have had Kenda Bearclaw HTRs on two machines, including on my quad now. They're excellent. I kind of wanted to try something else.

For the Teryx, I narrowed down to Tusk Terrabites and the Carnivores. I went with the Carnivore because it has a flatter tire profile, like a truck tire and seemed like it may be a bit better tire overall for what we do. I also noted that Kawi put them on the KRX. Visited with some of the guys and we all agreed I should be the guinea pig. LOL. They were a bit more expensive than the Terrabites.

In the first ride, we had sloppy mud, maybe a few inches to a foot deep, lots of snow and slippery wet rocks. Lots of ruts too that we fell into from time to time. The machine pulled hard through all of it and we never once felt like we were slipping much or in danger of getting stuck. So, I am very pleased so far. As we go on, I'll keep updating. They look badass, so there's that!

Reactions: rocksoffroad

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Electrical Wiring for accessories

I have been asked to put up some details on one way to wire up accessories. I hope this is helpful.

I will start with a series of pictures of the stock under hood area for reference. Here is what the under hood area with the dash still in looks like. Center, passenger side and driver's side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dash removed pictures

My idea was to do the hard work on the front end and only once, if I'm lucky. The best way to do this right is to get the dash off the machine and out of the way. This makes running wires from the cab to the front area much easier.

Here is what a stock machine looks like with the dash removed. Pictures of driver side, center area and passenger side for reference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once you remove the dash, there is a visible negative grounding point. I ran negative wires from the dash switches here. This is not a lot of current on these mini-circuits. I run the primary negative lines from the accessories from relays.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ignition on power wiring basics

There are common posts about finding a hot wire that it only hot when the ignition is on. Where this really matters is from the switches. Most need a little power to illuminate their lights. Like most of us here, I tapped off the back side of the 12v port on the dash. Here are a couple pics that show what this looks like. It's the brown wire that comes off it. I tapped into it with a spade splitter. These are available at any auto parts store for cheap. I then heat shrunk the connection... probably not needed given its location.

The red wire you see coming off that goes to a positive bus terminal I added.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Something really cool is coming soon... can't wait to get it.

:devil

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Lawdog (I assume you are a LEO),

So am I in StL MO.

Where did you get the vinyl wrap for the hood??? Awesome

PM me sometime

Wayne

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Lawdog (I assume you are a LEO),

So am I in StL MO.

Where did you get the vinyl wrap for the hood??? Awesome

PM me sometime

Wayne
PM sent! Be safe brother.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Full comm system installed!

Well, after our last big ride, we decided an intercom was going to be in our future. After a ton of reading and research, we settled on one and Fed Ex brought it today. From "The Com" in beautiful Nampa, Idaho, we got The COMsole S4S 4-way intercom and car to car radio.

Soon, I will do a full review here, broken down in parts including installation. I put it in tonight in about 2 1/2 hours, taking our time. Headed out on a trip tomorrow and will post up when we get back.

In a quick test ride tonight, this is going to be nice and a game changer for quieter riding. Be well and be safe everyone. See you here soon with an update.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Setting up an intercom was by far, one of the best things I've done to improve the enjoyment out of the machine. It's quieter and my family can talk and listen to music while enjoying the trail.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts