Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
2023 Teryx 4S SE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm away right now and can't get a measurement, also want your opinion. Looking at mounting a light bar on the top bar of the factory bumper, wonder how long of a light I can go with in between (keeping it in the straight section). Anybody that has a bar in this location do you find that is gives you adequate light or would the lower window mounting options with a 50" curved be the better play, Does the bumper location give any issues for cooling the rad? Light recommendations from Amazon would be appreciated as well, and are there any wiring harnesses to avoid?

· Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
939 Posts
Reading is hard...

I don't have a light bar on mine but I have had good luck with the nilight brand stuff on amazon. I've had a 40" light bar on numerous vehicles and it's held up well for 5 years or so. I bought some cube lights too and mounted one as a backup light that works great.

· Registered
60 Posts
Be aware of how much current that light is using. I don't know how many amps the electric system can handle for additional items. I another thread where an owner and others discussing blown stator of the charging system found quite a long occurrence of them blowing or rather burning up requiring replacement. Don't be one of them.
Someone or a knowledgeable dealer may be able to advise you on the max additional load you can use for long periods.

· Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,700 Posts
Its easy to go overboard with accessories. I think most of us subscribe to the "Bigger must be better" theory. Winches and light bars are prime examples of this. I know many riders using the Harbor Freight 3500# winch that have never found it lacking (myself included). I also know people that load up with several light bars, or light bars that are as big as possible. I have a 32" light bar mounted just below my roof line and it provides more than enough light for me to see everything for a good distance. I also mounted two smaller LED pods on the rear for those times I need to see behind me in the dark. Plenty of light for my needs and I don't have to worry about straining my charging system.

· Registered
60 Posts
On my Wolverine I put a 12" bright Yellow light bar on the bumper center. Swapped LED into the headlight fixtures. That in itself was a huge difference. Yellow make really big difference as night. The dark soil, or wet surface absorb white light so its much better. That said I've never driven at night. Despite regularily going on the same trails an trail system. I run into surprised, obsticle in my way. Fallen trees, deep holes, split culverts bolders etc
These all come up fast in bright daylight, at night noticing it isn't easy and not just because of bright lights. The angle of them hide some until you're nearly onto or into them. If you do you must go much slower and really watch what has changed since the last time you were there. Net trails you never been on I'd never recommend to night drive on.

As for winches some are much better built inside with metal gears, two gears and better ratio. Plastic gears I'd stay away from if I knew it was used. I have heard a lot of users of Harbour Feight on the other forum on Yamaha's with good success. Its the mounting to the machine which gets difficult with non standard hole setups varying a lot.

· Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Night riding is lots of fun!

You can take a trail you know inside and out in the daylight, then go ride the same trail at night and its a whole new adventure! Night riding is definitely different, but its also a lot of fun. And if you ride in hot climates, night time might be the right time to ride.

· Registered
60 Posts
Night riding is lots of fun!

You can take a trail you know inside and out in the daylight, then go ride the same trail at night and its a whole new adventure! Night riding is definitely different, but its also a lot of fun. And if you ride in hot climates, night time might be the right time to ride.
True, by that late time or night. I typically have enjoyed a few drinks. That puts going out away for another day. I used to snowmobile at night and the experience is different. Same issue but not nearly as tricky as fewer issue in the snow. Deep creek or gorge dropouts only come to mind which are seen until you're there

· Registered
2023 Teryx 4S SE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am definitely worried about stressing the charging system, so I was leaning more toward a centre bumper mounted light bar, I know the one Kawi sells is only 12" and overpriced so was looking on amazon leaning more towards a 20". I enjoy riding at all times of the day, I have a camp about 2 hrs away from my house by trail so we like to leave the house to go for a run sometimes and spend the afternoon and supper there and return on the same trail system so not as worried about new hazards poping up. I had a champion 3500 on my brute and the Teryx came with the 3500 Warn, hopefully i never need it on the trail but nice to know it's there if I do.

· Registered
60 Posts
20 inch would be more than enough. LED light bars throw of a ton of light. Making you headlamps insignificant. You'd want to direct wire via fuse and relay control for it originating at the battery or what I did off the main feed post of the winch solenoid which is a heavy cable to the battery. Various way to activate it as well then. Control switch through an accessory controlled relay or direct if ignition doesn't need to be one. But you have to remember to turn it off manually. Ignition controlled drops the power to the relay coil and lights off with the engine. FYI

· Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
939 Posts
I think heads would explode if I posted exactly how I rigged up my light bar. :unsure: I may or may not have used a male cig-lighter dingus end, duct tape, and some zip ties.

I'm slightly more refined now. Except for my last-minute at camp wiper motor wiring that runs across the floor....It ain't pretty but I know where there's some wire when I need it to fix something else.

· Premium Member
1,700 Posts
I am definitely worried about stressing the charging system, so I was leaning more toward a centre bumper mounted light bar, I know the one Kawi sells is only 12" and overpriced so was looking on amazon leaning more towards a 20". I enjoy riding at all times of the day, I have a camp about 2 hrs away from my house by trail so we like to leave the house to go for a run sometimes and spend the afternoon and supper there and return on the same trail system so not as worried about new hazards poping up. I had a champion 3500 on my brute and the Teryx came with the 3500 Warn, hopefully i never need it on the trail but nice to know it's there if I do.
That sounds heavenly!

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys I'm away right now and can't get a measurement, also want your opinion. Looking at mounting a light bar on the top bar of the factory bumper, wonder how long of a light I can go with in between (keeping it in the straight section). Anybody that has a bar in this location do you find that is gives you adequate light or would the lower window mounting options with a 50" curved be the better play, Does the bumper location give any issues for cooling the rad? Light recommendations from Amazon would be appreciated as well, and are there any wiring harnesses to avoid?

· Registered
8 Posts
My advice is place lightbar as high as possible for maximum coverage. I have 30" superatv lightbar mounted on top of 1/8" aluminum roof I had local sheet metal shop bend up for my 2016 T4. It turns nighttime into day and I've run it for hours with no electrical problems. I did a load analysis and simplified the wiring installation by removing the relay which I found unnecessary.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

1 - 20 of 41 Posts