Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my new 2020 teryx4 what would be a better option, lift kit or skid plate if I could only do one right now? I live where the trails can be pretty rocky.

Sorry for asking a lot of qestions , I'm just new to this.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If u r riding in rocky environment, get ur belly protection 1st.
U could also crank down on ur shocks for some Xtra height until u acquire a lift kit?
Just a thought...good luck

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just bought a 2” Perfex lift for Around $160cad. Went out to the Rockies in Alberta and only lightly bottomed out a few times. In my opinion a lift would be a better bang for your buck. My cousin who had a stock teryx4 was getting hung up going over berms where I didn’t even scrape.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Performance wise the lift kit is by far the best, but the peace of mind of the skids can't be beat. I ran a lift kit and larger tires and it really helped trail performance, but after inspecting the factory "skid plates" after a 3 day to Windrock it was scary to see the condition they were in and I promptly ordered aftermarket skids. I will say that having the entire bottom of the rig smooth with UHMW skids does help some as it slides rather than gets hung up as much. Also had a buddy who cracked his engine block by hitting a rock with his Viking.

·
Mat
2018 Teryx4 LE Grey Camo
13 Posts
If you financed your machine you should have just gone with the LE version that comes with the skid plates.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I thought the only difference between the le and base model was a roof, 14” wheels and led headlights.
I have a hard time believing the Base teryx came without the same thin skid plates as the le.

·
Mat
2018 Teryx4 LE Grey Camo
13 Posts
I thought the only difference between the le and base model was a roof, 14” wheels and led headlights.
I have a hard time believing the Base teryx came without the same thin skid plates as the le.
Interesting. When I bought my 2018 new I feel like the fact the LE had skid plates was a feature that weighed into my decision to go that route. Maybe they are standard?

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,059 Posts
LE or base model doesn't matter. Both come with the same skid plates and Fox shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I lifted mine 2 inches and put on 28" tires. I found that after that, what kind if skid plate I had mattered a lot less.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On my new 2020 teryx4 what would be a better option, lift kit or skid plate if I could only do one right now? I live where the trails can be pretty rocky.

Sorry for asking a lot of qestions , I'm just new to this.
From what I've seen the 2" lift is going to be way more affordable....$180 vs $575 at SuperATV

·
Registered
934 Posts
If you financed your machine you should have just gone with the LE version that comes with the skid plates.
There is no difference between the base or LE versions on the skidplates! Both have the same "skidplates" but they are pretty thin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have both and I can tell you the skid plate still takes a beating. Obviously it depends on the type of terrain and riding. After one day of riding with my 2" lift I hit some pretty gnarly rocks right under the a-arms. Immediately installed a 1/2" UHMW skid plate. Now it slides off rocks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've decided to go with a skid plate for now. Anyone got suggestions for a decent one that's reasonably priced?

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Performance wise the lift kit is by far the best, but the peace of mind of the skids can't be beat. I ran a lift kit and larger tires and it really helped trail performance, but after inspecting the factory "skid plates" after a 3 day to Windrock it was scary to see the condition they were in and I promptly ordered aftermarket skids. I will say that having the entire bottom of the rig smooth with UHMW skids does help some as it slides rather than gets hung up as much. Also had a buddy who cracked his engine block by hitting a rock with his Viking.
What do you think of the aluminum ones?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
What do you think of the aluminum ones?
Don't bother. They are even easier to damage than the steel you got from the factory. If replacing your skid plates is high on your list, go for the UHMW. They are, hands down, the best skid plate option out there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree. They'll slide over rocks easier than aluminum too. Some of my buddies made some welfare edition skid plates for their quads out of some puck board. Worked good and was cheap. I'm not that ambitious, that'd cut into my drinking time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts