Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, newbie here. I have been around quads my whole life and owned several rzr's, lastly was a 2016 900s. After my wife and I had our first child, I sold the rzr and now just have a quad, Suzuki King Quad 750. I have two girls, 3 and 1, and they absolutely love my quad but it is hard to ride them on it and probably not the safest thing. I have about 5.5 acres and live in a somewhat rural area where we can ride the roads. I think the teryx4 is perfect for me. Maybe trail ride, Royal Blue or Windrock every once in a while but nothing extreme, use it around the house for brush and just have something for us to cruise on. I am looking at 2016-2020 models, trying to find used ones. I remember older models had their share of issues with oil leaks and overheating but the newer models seem to be really stout and reliable. I know 2016 included updated interior and exterior from the previous year but are there any changes from 2016-2020? If so, I cant find any on my searches, other than paint schemes. Secondly, man the market in Kentucky has changed. Used models, if you can find one, are really expensive and I cant even find a new one to take a look at. Other models I am interested in are the Pioneer 1000-5, but I am not crazy about the transmission. The Wolverine X4 is another, but I dont like the back seats as much, cant imagine those tracks working very well after a while. A couple questions, any common problem areas to look for? Is the heat and noise really that bad? Other than top speed, is the power adequate? I was never lacking for power in my 900s, but I am sure it wont run like that. Thanks for any input guys!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had a King quad 700 years ago, They sure look small now compared to 800-1000 can am's and polaris'. I used to think side by sides could never go where a quad can. Broke my femur on the quad, bought a rzr 800 in 2010 so I could still get out. Didn't want a bigger machine than that since I ride 98% with quads. Til I had 3 kids.
I considered the Wolverine and pioneer as well. The Teryx seemed to have the most comfy seats, so I heard. The Teryx seemed like the best fit, can haul passengers and a decent amount of cargo at the same time. And it fits in the back of my truck so I can pull my bumper pull camper. I've had to cut a few trees down to fit down and the top of the roll cage has a ton of battle scars but it's holding together well. I was always tearing fender flares off my rzr and the teryx is about 10" wider and holds up well on the same trails.

My cousin has a 2018 T4 LE and the only difference I could find was the headlights were different between 18 and my 2020 LE. Otherwise I believe just the colors are different?

I wanted to find a low mileage used one myself but the prices people want for used with high miles I just figured I'd spend a few grand more and buy new with full warranty. I bought my 2020 in June, went on 3 trips and put on almost 1000km/600 miles so far with no issues. After installing a front windshield and rear window the noise was pretty noticeable, mostly while under 1/2 or more throttle. Seems like the air intake under the dash is where most of the noise is coming from. For us it's more than bearable.

The heat can be a pain for some. It doesn't usually get above 75F where I ride so it's not a big problem for us as we usually wear rain gear. When it got up to 90 we just had to strip down.

The top speed is good enough for me, a little faster would be nice in a few spots but I found cruising down a road at 30-40mph burns way less fuel than at 50. Power is decent though it lacks in some circumstances in reverse. I wasn't able to get mine to back up in some deep mud, wouldn't turn the tires. I just am more aware and don't put myself in spots like that anymore and bring a come-along along if by myself.

I had 3 adults, 2 kids, a big cargo box stuffed with food and extra gear, chain saw etc... Never had a problem with power climbing hills or in muskeg and was pretty surprised it wasn't a complete dog. Though I did notice it hauled way better with just the wife and I in it.

As far as problems, I haven't had one yet. I heard on some older ones people would break the rack and pinions. Break teeth off after hitting a tree or something? The only "mod" I did was to run the vent line from the fuel tank up high to the top of the roll cage. After putting 2 fuel pumps in my rzr I slowly got wiser. These things have the vent line in a dumb spot as well if you go in water or mud.

Reactions: jb35

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, newbie here. I have been around quads my whole life and owned several rzr's, lastly was a 2016 900s. After my wife and I had our first child, I sold the rzr and now just have a quad, Suzuki King Quad 750. I have two girls, 3 and 1, and they absolutely love my quad but it is hard to ride them on it and probably not the safest thing. I have about 5.5 acres and live in a somewhat rural area where we can ride the roads. I think the teryx4 is perfect for me. Maybe trail ride, Royal Blue or Windrock every once in a while but nothing extreme, use it around the house for brush and just have something for us to cruise on. I am looking at 2016-2020 models, trying to find used ones. I remember older models had their share of issues with oil leaks and overheating but the newer models seem to be really stout and reliable. I know 2016 included updated interior and exterior from the previous year but are there any changes from 2016-2020? If so, I cant find any on my searches, other than paint schemes. Secondly, man the market in Kentucky has changed. Used models, if you can find one, are really expensive and I cant even find a new one to take a look at. Other models I am interested in are the Pioneer 1000-5, but I am not crazy about the transmission. The Wolverine X4 is another, but I dont like the back seats as much, cant imagine those tracks working very well after a while. A couple questions, any common problem areas to look for? Is the heat and noise really that bad? Other than top speed, is the power adequate? I was never lacking for power in my 900s, but I am sure it wont run like that. Thanks for any input guys!
What model Teryx are you looking for ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got a '17 T4 and love it. The heat and noise are not issues for me. The power is satisfactory for what the machine was designed to do, IMO. It's an 800 carrying a ton+. How much weight was your 900 rzr pulling?

Good luck finding a used one. I used to do an occasional interweb search for used ones before the virus struck and rarely found one. Basically, never. You might find a '21 on a showroom floor. I've been in two places recently and neither had a new T4. Everyone who can do it is turning to outdoor recreation rather than sitting at home.

·
Registered
201 Posts
All machines are hot and noisy. Doesn’t seem to bother me. I have a 15’ t4 and love it. It’s the most comfortable choice, more reliable, and at a lower price than the other machines you are looking at. Get it, figure out how you ride and then make a few modifications to make it perfect for you. Can’t go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think the t4 will suit me just fine. For trail riding I’ve never heard anyone say they lack power. I just can’t imagine driving some of those other 4 seaters. The Can Am’s and Polaris’s look like a bus in comparison. I remember the older brutes had rear main issues and you had to really watch the oil or it would get low and ruin the motor. Sounds like they got all of that straightened out. Guess I’ll keep my eyes open for a used one or wait til dealers get stock back and see how what rebates they have.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,129 Posts
Excellent choice. I think you will find that the T4 has the best rear seats of anything out there that isn't a stretch limo. It sounds like you and I ride in the same kind of area's. I would recommend a 2" lift with 28" tires and a clutch kit. That, along with the a fore mentioned fuel vent mod are probably the only mods you will ever have to do outside of custom touches to make it your own. The T4 also comes with a 3-year warranty which is nice. I have a 2016 T2, same bike minus the rear seats, and I have over 3000 miles on it now. Zero mechanical issues so far. Outside of oil changes, I have replaced the belt and the front brakes once each, and thats it!

Having said that, you don't HAVE to have the lift, tires and clutch kit, but these bikes really come into their own after you do. These simple changes really transform these bikes into what they should have been from the factory. The only other mod some people recommend is upgrading the shocks/suspension, but I personally find that if you take the time to properly tune the Fox shocks that come on these things, the ride can be quite nice without replacing what you already have.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot. There was one other thing I have had to replace. I had to replace the front control arm bushings. Went ahead and upgraded them from the stock rubber bushing to the nylon GP bushings. Easy upgrade and not too expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent choice. I think you will find that the T4 has the best rear seats of anything out there that isn't a stretch limo. It sounds like you and I ride in the same kind of area's. I would recommend a 2" lift with 28" tires and a clutch kit. That, along with the a fore mentioned fuel vent mod are probably the only mods you will ever have to do outside of custom touches to make it your own. The T4 also comes with a 3-year warranty which is nice. I have a 2016 T2, same bike minus the rear seats, and I have over 3000 miles on it now. Zero mechanical issues so far. Outside of oil changes, I have replaced the belt and the front brakes once each, and thats it!

Having said that, you don't HAVE to have the lift, tires and clutch kit, but these bikes really come into their own after you do. These simple changes really transform these bikes into what they should have been from the factory. The only other mod some people recommend is upgrading the shocks/suspension, but I personally find that if you take the time to properly tune the Fox shocks that come on these things, the ride can be quite nice without replacing what you already have.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot. There was one other thing I have had to replace. I had to replace the front control arm bushings. Went ahead and upgraded them from the stock rubber bushing to the nylon GP bushings. Easy upgrade and not too expensive.
Thanks for the advice on that. Doesn't sound like it, but the lift hasn't caused anymore stress on the ball joints or axles to cause a problem? I see a lot of people running a 2" lift and 2" spacers. I am pretty sure they come with the same shocks as the 900s I had. I was very pleased with them, other than the garbage springs polaris puts on their stuff, they were sagged out within a couple hundred miles. When I was riding regularly, I saw tons of the teryx 4's out an about in the eastern Tennessee trails. Everyone seemed very happy with them, and they seemed to climb like billy goats, lol.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,129 Posts
They definitely climb like billy goats! Can't recall how many times I've said the exact same thing. Having said that, they do run out of suspension on some black trails. The lift and tires definitely make a BIG difference, but you may want to add a winch. LOL But yeah, in 4x4 Diff lock these things will scratch, dig and crawl like you wouldn't believe.

So far, zero problems with the lift or the spacers. I have 1" spacers on the front and 2" on the rear. No sag on the springs either. In fact, mine are still right where they came from the factory.

Things you may want to know:
Top Speed is computer limited to 50 mph
Top Speed in diff lock mode is just 15 mph

There have been a few times where I needed diff lock and more than 15 mph to make a climb and had to winch instead. If desired, these too can be overcome with an ECU flash. I have heard people getting low-to-mid 60's with ECU flash

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They definitely climb like billy goats! Can't recall how many times I've said the exact same thing. Having said that, they do run out of suspension on some black trails. The lift and tires definitely make a BIG difference, but you may want to add a winch. LOL But yeah, in 4x4 Diff lock these things will scratch, dig and crawl like you wouldn't believe.

So far, zero problems with the lift or the spacers. I have 1" spacers on the front and 2" on the rear. No sag on the springs either. In fact, mine are still right where they came from the factory.

Things you may want to know:
Top Speed is computer limited to 50 mph
Top Speed in diff lock mode is just 15 mph

There have been a few times where I needed diff lock and more than 15 mph to make a climb and had to winch instead. If desired, these too can be overcome with an ECU flash. I have heard people getting low-to-mid 60's with ECU flash
great feedback, thanks!

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Welcome to the forum JB. Not much to add to the good comments so far. We love ours. Mods in the signature. I have some new pics to put up soon and some decent video.

Reactions: jb35

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2016 T4LE that I will sell. It has 3100 miles all level trails no mud or steep climbs. I just changed the belt this week. It did not need it but since I had it apart I went ahead and changed it anyway. All oils changed and were at required intervals. No issues and is as tight as a new one. Located in PA.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2016 T4LE that I will sell. It has 3100 miles all level trails no mud or steep climbs. I just changed the belt this week. It did not need it but since I had it apart I went ahead and changed it anyway. All oils changed and were at required intervals. No issues and is as tight as a new one. Located in PA. View attachment 62866
Thats a nice looking rig, but you are pretty good distance away from me. I am in Kentucky.I am going to try and look at it one locally this weekend.

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
85 Posts
OP, I wouldn't necessarily shy away from an earlier T4; I have a 2012 and it's been nothing but fun. It's mostly stock except for a flip up windshield, winch, and tires (in the OE size). I replaced the fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs to address a bogging issue about a year and a half ago, and replace all the fluids once a year as routine maintenance. I also did the fuel vent mod to prevent fuel contamination.

My flight crew is roughly the same as yours... Myself, wife, and 2 young kids, and I can confirm your thinking that this machine is more than ideal for what it sounds like you'd like to do with it. It's a great for family adventuring, and I love that I have enough cargo room for lunch, snacks, drinks, picnic mat, even some folding chairs AND a small action packer of recovery equipment.

It can get a little dusty (but it's part of the fun), and warm in the cab, but as stated it isn't too big of an issue (at least for me and my family). The noise level is high enough to prevent us from having a conversation while driving, but I recently invested in a relatively affordable 4 way intercom system that has been an absolute game changer (the system is actually an aviation intercom set up made for small planes). I heard newer T4s are slightly quieter. I'd recommend an a radio system of some sort as one of the best things I've purchased for the UTV.

I do think a little more power would be nice, and it'd be great if the machine ran a little cooler and quieter, but these wants have never made me think of upgrading or have deterred me from having a great time with it on the trail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP, I wouldn't necessarily shy away from an earlier T4; I have a 2012 and it's been nothing but fun. It's mostly stock except for a flip up windshield, winch, and tires (in the OE size). I replaced the fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs to address a bogging issue about a year and a half ago, and replace all the fluids once a year as routine maintenance. I also did the fuel vent mod to prevent fuel contamination.

My flight crew is roughly the same as yours... Myself, wife, and 2 young kids, and I can confirm your thinking that this machine is more than ideal for what it sounds like you'd like to do with it. It's a great for family adventuring, and I love that I have enough cargo room for lunch, snacks, drinks, picnic mat, even some folding chairs AND a small action packer of recovery equipment.

It can get a little dusty (but it's part of the fun), and warm in the cab, but as stated it isn't too big of an issue (at least for me and my family). The noise level is high enough to prevent us from having a conversation while driving, but I recently invested in a relatively affordable 4 way intercom system that has been an absolute game changer (the system is actually an aviation intercom set up made for small planes). I heard newer T4s are slightly quieter. I'd recommend an a radio system of some sort as one of the best things I've purchased for the UTV.

I do think a little more power would be nice, and it'd be great if the machine ran a little cooler and quieter, but these wants have never made me think of upgrading or have deterred me from having a great time with it on the trail.
That is exactly what I was wanting to hear. I think if I got an earlier one it would be at least a 14 to get the bigger motor. You can get them quite a bit cheaper around here too but I really love the redesign look on the 2016. Talked to a guy with a pioneer 1000 but the transmission really turns me off. I think for me, it’s teryx or bust.

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
85 Posts
I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the 2014 years will get you Fox Podium shocks as well. Mine are non-fox piggy backs that perform great, but lack the cool factor.

Good luck on your hunt! Looking forward to seeing your new UTV soon!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you can wait until next year to purchase one I would. I personally think the used market is going to be flooded with machines next year after everyone pandemic panic bought every piece of outdoor recreation equipment out there. From about March till just recently pretty much every dealership in my local area (and there are a ton!) were completely sold out on all 4 seat units of all brands. Come over the winter when all these people realize they have to keep spending their Disneyland money all year round to store their new SxS in their garage for 5 months and only take it out a couple weekends a year, they are going to be dumping them.

As far as used Teryx4's go, in my area it seems that buying a new one when Kawi is offering their spring rebates on them is within $1000 or less of what most people are asking for fully stock used ones.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts