Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 teryx 4 just started making a loud/whining noise when I let off on the gas, everything feels normal and doesn't sound any different when under load.It has a new belt clutches are clean. could it be a bearing going bad? Has anyone else come across this and if so what was the problem? any suggestions appreciated
Thanks

·
1,641 Posts
Does it only do it at a certain RPM? Min is a really loud high pitched whine. I haven't experimented with it yet but I noticed my tip on my muffler is not tight and you can just spin it. I wonder if it vibrates and causes that noise at a certain RPM? I need to take it clear off and see if it makes any difference. See if yours is loose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does it at any speed. almost sounds like it's in the clutch area but everything looks good and clean. It sounds normal in neutral and revving the engine and letting off it's just when driving and letting off the gas

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No not yet I can't seem to find the problem. I know they are loud to begin with but mine just got louder one day, not sure why. I'm just going to keep driving it and see what happens. I replaced the belt and bearing in the clutch cover and didn't make any difference so I don't know what else it could be.

·
1,641 Posts
Mine has done this forever. I think it is just normal. I can't figure it out either. I am going to take the catalyst out of the muffler soon, so I will see if my original guess was right or not. The exhaust tip vibrating is the only other thing I can think of that it would be. Mine seems to be closer to the front also, but everything seems fine. Still does it after a belt change on mine too. It does take spells where it doesn't do it at all though. I have 3600 miles on mine now so if it was something going bad, I think it would have by now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's something definitely not normal about the way mine sounds on deceleration/ coasting. I've rode in my friends T4 and his does not make the howling/ whining noise on decel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you mean, Mine has always done it too ,but one ride it just got a lot louder and hasn't gone away since. I don't know where to start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The belt and clutches look good on mine. The primary had a slight wobble in the shaft so I replaced bearing behind wet clutch and that cleaned up the wobble in the primary shaft but still had loud howling/ whining noise. I am going to replace the one way bearing on it this week and see if it helps. Ive read that some rhinos have expierienced this problem and it was the one way bearing causing the noise on decel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
please let me know if that works. I'm not real familiar with the mechanics of these so any help at all is appreciated

·
Registered
26 Posts
We replaced the one way bearing and still did not help with the howling noise. We also swapped out the primary and secondary clutches from another T4 that did not make the loud howling noise on decel and still did not help. We have seemed to narrow the problem down to something internal maybe the trans or bevel gears.

·
ROCKSOFFROAD
1,436 Posts
Put on some good tunes and punch it it goes awaway after that having fun yet

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the update! not the news I was hoping for though:( guess I'll just drive it till it breaks and deal with it then.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a noise similar to yours and I narrowed it down to the EBS Bearing in the belt cover . My noise comes and goes so maybe I'll take the cover off one day and check or replace it. Just something (somewhere) to check !!!:icon_thumleft:

·
Vendor
1,121 Posts
t4's don't run engine braking bearings like the older t2 models.

Here's the culprit.

IT's the bearing that holds the primary clutch shaft and the wet clutch basket. IT's under this seal BEHIND the primary clutch. You'd need to remove the whole side cover to get it out and destroy this seal to remove the circlip

on decel it sounds like a siren. on accel it won't make much noise at all. remove the bearing and you can spin it and it's loose.

Why did it fail?? wet clutch makes clutch shoe debris that contaminates this bearing and wears it out.

when replacing this, install a new bushing in the cast alum cover where the primary clutch shaft sits in.

problem solved.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perfect Thanks a lot for the help, and your right it sounds normal on acceleration but very noisy on decal. Any secrets to pulling the clutches

·
Vendor
1,121 Posts
Remove nuts retaining clutches.
slide clutches off shafts.

can't get much easier than that. No special tools needed.

you WILL need a spreader bolt to reinstall the belt back around the secondary when you spread the sheaves.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sounds easy enough is right:) so then to be clear once clutches are removed I have to remove the inner part of the clutch cover as well to gain access to this bearing?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anyone happen to have the part# for the bearing and oil seal that VforceJohn has mentioned above

1 - 20 of 106 Posts