Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post this question in the Suspension forum but that doesn't seem to get much traffic.
Can anybody running a "mid travel" setup using the SuperATV 6" and the specific longer aftermarket shocks for that kit by Bandit, 814, or Hester Elka's get me dimensions on the shocks. Extended eye to eye length and stroke would be great. I've messaged all of these places and none seem to be willing to give exact dimensions.

The reasoning is that I don't want to spend the money for the complete mid travel kit all at one time. Was considering buying the SuperATV 6" kit for now and modifying the lift brackets to work with shorter shocks for now and then upgrade to the longer shocks later. I have the longer than stock Bandits (that allow 2" of lift on the stock suspension). The benefits would be the increased width, maybe 3" of total lift with lower angles on the axles than current 2" lift, and should be able to get a little more wheel travel with the right geometry and overall mounting of the shocks. However some measurements of exactly how long the mid travel shocks are would let me take some measurements to see how feasible this is. I'm no suspension genius but modifying the SuperATV shock brackets is not a big deal for me and do have an engineering background.

I really like the idea of the SuperATV long travel kit that uses the stock shocks....but it's a $1,000 more and they don't offer it for my '15 (only '16 and up), which is presumably for the different rear axles and the length is unique to that kit.

· TOTM Winner May 2022
Empire slip on,Memphis sound bar, Tusk windshield, winch, light bar etc.
93 Posts
I'm doing the same thing on a 2013 t4. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this post. I'll let you know if I find anything out on shock lengths.

· Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
651 Posts
Hey @6.2Blazer , I happened to notice a guy selling a T4 on one of the FB forums with an SATV 6" lift and stock shocks but he says that he cut down the brackets to only give 2" of lift? A modification similar to this may be an option to allow you to run the shocks you have without getting the high center of gravity of the full lift? Just an idea. Seems like you could always just remove the bracket all together if you upgraded the shocks later on down the road... If you're a member of that forum you could probably send him a dm about it?

Font Number Screenshot Circle Document
Tire Wheel Cloud Vehicle Sky

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey @6.2Blazer , I happened to notice a guy selling a T4 on one of the FB forums with an SATV 6" lift and stock shocks but he says that he cut down the brackets to only give 2" of lift? A modification similar to this may be an option to allow you to run the shocks you have without getting the high center of gravity of the full lift? Just an idea. Seems like you could always just remove the bracket all together if you upgraded the shocks later on down the road... If you're a member of that forum you could probably send him a dm about it?

View attachment 66030 View attachment 66031
I saw that vehicle for sale. As stated in my original post the plan would be to modify the lift brackets for about 3" of lift. I'm pretty sure if using the "stock" length shocks you would have to use some sort of bracket to at least keep the stock height or slight lift.

SuperATV has some good drawings on their website for both the 6" lift and the Long Travel kit brackets. It looks like the front LT brackets are probably about right for doing this. The rear brackets look very similar between the 6" lift and LT kit, with the difference being how the shock mounts at the a-arm. On the 6" lift the shock mounts on the upper a-arm, where as on the LT kit the shock mounts on the lower a-arm which would account for the lift difference.

· Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
651 Posts
I saw that vehicle for sale. As stated in my original post the plan would be to modify the lift brackets for about 3" of lift. I'm pretty sure if using the "stock" length shocks you would have to use some sort of bracket to at least keep the stock height or slight lift.

SuperATV has some good drawings on their website for both the 6" lift and the Long Travel kit brackets. It looks like the front LT brackets are probably about right for doing this. The rear brackets look very similar between the 6" lift and LT kit, with the difference being how the shock mounts at the a-arm. On the 6" lift the shock mounts on the upper a-arm, where as on the LT kit the shock mounts on the lower a-arm which would account for the lift difference.
right on, I missed that part in your post about still using the lift brackets but modifying them to fit your current shocks. Keep us posted as you progress with the project.

· Registered
2019 Teryx4 LE; 814 Suspension; SuperATV skid plate, storage box, & flip up windshield
20 Posts
I have installed the SuperATV 6" lift with 814 standard(not mid length) shocks by modifying the SuperATV upper shock brackets gaining approximately 3" of additional lift, and having additional wheel travel. The front wheel travel is 14" with my setup versus the 16" of wheel travel that a true mid travel setup has. I did not measure the rear wheel travel. Attached are two pictures of the Teryx4 on my trailer with a line from wheel center to wheel center to see how much it is lifted. Total lift from stock is around 5". The third picture is from the rear showing the left side with stock a-arms and the right side is with the lift installed. The 4th picture is to show how small the 28" blackwater evolutions look with the SuperATV lift. I have 18" shock travel limiting straps in the rear and 17 in the front. I chopped the rear of the cage 6" before installing the SuperATV lift so the Teryx4 will still fit in my garage. I have 32" tires and new wheels I am working on installing. I will post a pic with the new wheels and tires after I finish installing them.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have installed the SuperATV 6" lift with 814 standard(not mid length) shocks by modifying the SuperATV upper shock brackets gaining approximately 3" of additional lift, and having additional wheel travel. The front wheel travel is 14" with my setup versus the 16" of wheel travel that a true mid travel setup has. I did not measure the rear wheel travel. Attached are two pictures of the Teryx4 on my trailer with a line from wheel center to wheel center to see how much it is lifted. Total lift from stock is around 5". The third picture is from the rear showing the left side with stock a-arms and the right side is with the lift installed. The 4th picture is to show how small the 28" blackwater evolutions look with the SuperATV lift. I have 18" shock travel limiting straps in the rear and 17 in the front. I chopped the rear of the cage 6" before installing the SuperATV lift so the Teryx4 will still fit in my garage. I have 32" tires and new wheels I am working on installing. I will post a pic with the new wheels and tires after I finish installing them.
View attachment 66034 View attachment 66035
View attachment 66036 View attachment 66039
Knew there had to be someone out there you had done this. This is great and the exact same thing I was thinking about including about 3" of lift and eventually 32" tires. I would love to see close up pictures of the front and rear shock brackets to get an idea on how you modified them (how much you moved the shock location).

Can you get me the shock eye to eye measurements when sitting on it's own weight (like in the last picture above)? Assuming the full extended shock length is right at what the limit strap lengths are....I have Bandit extended length (but not the mid-travel version) shocks also and curious if they are about the same or not. The 14" of wheel travel sounds really good considering stock is around 8" and they claim around 10" with the longer shocks on an otherwise stock setup.

· Registered
2019 Teryx4 LE; 814 Suspension; SuperATV skid plate, storage box, & flip up windshield
20 Posts
When I set up the suspension with the machine sitting on its own weight eye to eye shock measurement for the front was 16” and the rear was 17”. I will get some pictures of the brackets tonight after work as long as I get home at a decent time.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a bunch for all of the pictures. I had been debating a little about just waiting until I could afford the mid-travel shocks but seeing someone else who has done it definitely pushes me in this direction. By comparing the pictures above to the drawings from SuperATV it looks like you probably just cut or trimmed the brackets to move the shock mounting location up and/or inwards more, versus actually cutting and re-welding them?
I'm also leaning more towards doing the modified brackets based on the condition of my existing Bandit shocks. After the last ride at Windrock compared to the KRX's I wasn't that impressed with the ride quality. Notice one rear shock was leaking to pulled both rears off to reseal. After inspecting them the one leaking one basically had very little damping left and no nitrogen charge, and the other one had almost no nitrogen charge either. I think they had slowly degraded over the last couple of years and just weren't working that great on the last ride. I would expect them to feel a lot better after the rebuild.

· Registered
20 Posts
You are welcome, and you are correct I cut down the brackets on the front and back after drilling new holes. The rear did not require welding but the front did. I was able to set the ride height I wanted then used a bar with holes drilled at the desired shock length and bolted through the a-arm shock mount end to mark the center of the new hole on the SuperATV brackets. If you research shock angle versus spring rates, you have to change the shock angle severely to need different springs and shock valving. If you need anymore information let me know.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are welcome, and you are correct I cut down the brackets on the front and back after drilling new holes. The rear did not require welding but the front did. I was able to set the ride height I wanted then used a bar with holes drilled at the desired shock length and bolted through the a-arm shock mount end to mark the center of the new hole on the SuperATV brackets. If you research shock angle versus spring rates, you have to change the shock angle severely to need different springs and shock valving. If you need anymore information let me know.
Did you use the tierod setup that comes with the 6" lift?

· Registered
20 Posts
No, I pieced together heavy duty tie rods buying pieces from different places. If I were to do it again I would get a set from Riley Nelson or overdose fab and off-road. Both can be contacted on Facebook.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts