Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to SxS's and was considering the Teryx for our place out in Jupiter Farms, FL.
We have some local dirt roads and canals to enjoy, but my wife also wants to ride over to the barn where my daughter rides horses.
My wife feels that in stock form the Teryx is too loud and may scare the horses, so I was hoping that someone may have a suggestion as how to make the Teryx more quiet....slip-on, other ???
We had originally checked out the Polaris Ranger and it seems quieter, but I really like the looks of the Teryx and the leg room is much better for the taller driver.

Thank You.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blackhawk,

We test-drove both in the parking lot and the Teryx seemed louder.
Maybe the guys using the SxS's for hunting will have some thoughts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok. I know Rutcutter likes to hunt so he'll know. And I think he was a Rhino owner.

As for me, my wife and I collect our Teryx LE on Saturday for use on our horse farm.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The teryx is quieter than the rhino under normal cruiseing conditions but when you hammer it the V growls.. I love the rex and it will idle/putter around as well as any of the others. IMO

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
If the horses were around powered equiptment, they should be alright. I use my 300 Honda to train them in the summer time to get ready for shows. If not, I wouldn't trust my kids on their backs. Show horses or not.

·
Official Booyaa Crew Member
166 Posts
Get a new wife! J/K

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Ride over with your Teryx and bring the horses a treat (carrot apple or ?). Then they will look forward to the Teryx coming and walk toward it. Condition/Response idea.

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
After having 2 daughters showing horses and now having 3 horses out in the barn not being ridden. I'd get rid of the horse riding and put the daughters in a Teryx. In the long run, it will be ALOT cheaper, and the Teryxs don't eat or crap when you are using them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys,

Let's forget about the horses, but I would still like to pursue trying to make the Teryx more quiet, since I'm going to be riding on some streets to get to the trails and I don't want to have any issues with the law or piss off any of the neighbors.

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
There is a company that makes a Utility muffler that is supposed to be the quietest out. It is an UGLY thing that hangs off the back of ATVs. Kinda look like the old VW mufflers. I'll try to do some searching and get back. Maybe someone else can remember them. it has been a while since I have seen an ad for them.
I found it!!! ATV Mufflers - Watch Video - Reduces Noise 60 to 80 percent

Just in case I was too late. The muffler I was talking about is at:
ATV Mufflers - Watch Video - Reduces Noise 60 to 80 percent

·
Registered
62 Posts
i do agree about the teryx being loud, i believe its louder inside the cab than outside. i know that the yamaha rhino 2008 model they move the air breather underneath the front hood to cut down on the air breather noise.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Just don't gun it and your neighbours (edit)should be ok with the sound level.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We're hunters and just got a NRA edition and it's quieter than our '04 Rhino. We use it for hunting so quiet is important to us also. But also have a lifted hopped up Ezgo Golf cart to hunt with when we are wanting to be real quiet. We went looking for Turkeys on the lease yesterday with my son in law driving the Teryx and us in the Ezgo cart. He was about 25 feet behind us and we couldn't hear the Teryx (that's at about 5-10 mph). All we could hear was the 2 grandsons that were riding in the bed of the Teryx.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have a Teryx but RZR that has an exhaust that should be outlawed. I put the Benz silent exhaust on and what a difference, night and day. 866-394-2878. I don't know if they have one for the Teryx but I'm sure they will soon if not yet. Best purchase I've made yet.

·
Registered
813 Posts
How much hp does it rob?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't really say how much hp I've lost because I put 27'' tires on the same time. I do notice a loss in power but don't know which one or if a combination of both. I hope this week if I get time to unhook the exhaust and see if any difference. I'll report back, but all and all the exaust looks and reduces's the noise where I feel comfortable hunting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts