Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep my T4 in my old metal shed/barn and there is some definite mouse activity out there. The other day I found 2 dead mice under my sons atv, and it smells like there is a dead one inside my Teryx somewhere. The machine has been stored in the barn for two and a half years and so far there hasn't been any damage to wiring that I can see or notice, but I feel like it is just a matter of time. The little bastards are always making nests in my stuff and chewing through everything that is fabric. I have tried the poison blocks, but they don't seem to have much affect and my dog will eat the blocks if she finds them. I have also tried the moth balls and different oil repellants, which may help some for short periods, but the mice seem to be worse this year.
So my question is, does anyone have any tricks or secret techniques to help protect the machines from these suckers? Has anyone tried those electronic rodent deterrent things with any luck? I really don't want them making a nest out of the wiring harness on my Teryx...

·
Premium Member
2011 Teryx Camo, Muzzy exhaust, MSD controller, Pro Armor doors, Method beadlocks and Tensor tires
985 Posts
I decided it was the less of two evils and put a pet door in my shed to allow my feline friends to enter. I'd much rather have a few pussy tracks than having the damn little rodents feasting on wire insulation!

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
I keep my T4 in my old metal shed/barn and there is some definite mouse activity out there. The other day I found 2 dead mice under my sons atv, and it smells like there is a dead one inside my Teryx somewhere. The machine has been stored in the barn for two and a half years and so far there hasn't been any damage to wiring that I can see or notice, but I feel like it is just a matter of time. The little bastards are always making nests in my stuff and chewing through everything that is fabric. I have tried the poison blocks, but they don't seem to have much affect and my dog will eat the blocks if she finds them. I have also tried the moth balls and different oil repellants, which may help some for short periods, but the mice seem to be worse this year.
So my question is, does anyone have any tricks or secret techniques to help protect the machines from these suckers? Has anyone tried those electronic rodent deterrent things with any luck? I really don't want them making a nest out of the wiring harness on my Teryx...
I use the electronic deterrent things when I keep my camper in storage. I would say that they do help, as I have seen far less evidence of mice that I used to after having the camper in storage. I wasn't a believer when I bought them off of Amazon, but I'm a believer now. Proper placement definitely helps them do their job....read the directions about placement location.

Probably not as effective as barn cats, but also less likely to "spray" all over your stuff.

·
Registered
2016 Teryx4 LE
62 Posts
with cars and trucks, the trouble is with the soy based wiring plastic covers, ( not sure if teryx's has those?) I had a terrible time with mice on my Tacoma last winter, 1st. I put the electronic protector under my hood, but then they hit again, those only work for a short time, eventually the mice ignore them. I read about all the tricks, steel or copper wool around the wires, mothballs,,,etc.etc. if and when they chew thru your wires, replace and wrap those with a capsicum infused tape that honda makes. they seem to only chew thru wires in their way to a warm spot on the vehicle. on top of that put a cloth or rag in the area and periodically spray it with a pure peppermint spray, since doing that, I've had no other incidences, but it only happens in winter ( around here) and my steps were done just before winter ended, but from what i've read that combination will work. the peppermint spray is very strong smelling so be careful when spraying it ( I got mine on amazon ) I ordered the honda tape from ebay since most honda dealers had a huge shipping charge due to some hazmat or environmental charge ( and ebay didnt ). I'm pretty sure that worked, but won't know for sure until this winter. I do like the pet door idea, as long as your cat is a mouser and will catch the mice. my cat would either run away, or just play with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A pellet gun and a red light will do the job! Their eyes will light up nicely in the dark making for easy shots if your are not opposed to shooting them!

·
Registered
2016 Teryx4 LE
62 Posts
I may have an option for you huntertim
I looked at bait stations on amazon after my mice troubles last winter, but they were too expensive for what they were, so I went to youtube and searched for homemade bait stations and found one made out of pvc pipe. Just 3 pieces of pvc pipe, a "T" 3 way connector, some all thread a couple of nuts and a cap, and a board to mount it to with pipe straps. attach the all thread to cap put mouse bait onto all thread ( mine holds 6 or 7 blocks ) and put cap back on vertical piece, when mice eat the 1st piece, the next piece will drop down and replace it. mice can crawl in and eat it, but larger animals can't get to it. plus if that doesn't work, I can shoot the propane tank and kill them. ( just kidding, it's empty ). if you want pics of cap and all thread I can take more tomorrow and post them. as long as your dog doesn't find and eat the dead mouse.this might be a good option for you
you
Wood Plumbing Gas Flooring Human leg

Cylinder Gas Plumbing Auto part Pipe

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided it was the less of two evils and put a pet door in my shed to allow my feline friends to enter. I'd much rather have a few pussy tracks than having the damn little rodents feasting on wire insulation!

Mike
We do have a number of feral cats in the area, and I know that they do get into the barn on occasion because I see the tracks, but maybe I should consider making it easier for them to get in there for dinner. Thanks...

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A pellet gun and a red light will do the job! Their eyes will light up nicely in the dark making for easy shots if your are not opposed to shooting them!
I am definitely not opposed to shooting them, but I think I could sit out there all night for a month and not get them all... and they will just keep having babies anyway. Too labor intensive, lol.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may have an option for you huntertim
I looked at bait stations on amazon after my mice troubles last winter, but they were too expensive for what they were, so I went to youtube and searched for homemade bait stations and found one made out of pvc pipe. Just 3 pieces of pvc pipe, a "T" 3 way connector, some all thread a couple of nuts and a cap, and a board to mount it to with pipe straps. attach the all thread to cap put mouse bait onto all thread ( mine holds 6 or 7 blocks ) and put cap back on vertical piece, when mice eat the 1st piece, the next piece will drop down and replace it. mice can crawl in and eat it, but larger animals can't get to it. plus if that doesn't work, I can shoot the propane tank and kill them. ( just kidding, it's empty ). if you want pics of cap and all thread I can take more tomorrow and post them. as long as your dog doesn't find and eat the dead mouse.this might be a good option for you
you
I like this idea, I may try it. I currently have a 5 gallon bucket trap out there trying to see how many of the bastards can swim, but I like the idea of using the bait to knock them down over time, and this would keep the dog from getting to them. (y) I have also tried the peppermint oil, but I didn't think of soaking a rag with it under the hood to make it last longer, so I will try that too. Thanks for the advice!

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have been having some luck with the 5 gallon bucket trap, got 6 in there so far this week and not one of them has learned how to swim. 🤷‍♂️ I know that a bucket trap is fairly easy to make DIY, but I just grabbed a cheap kit from amazon. I have also taken ToddBuh's advice and soaked a few rags with the peppermint oil and put under the hood of the T4. The war shall continue on... :devilish:

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only thing I've found that really works is light. For my camper I brought an inexpensive string of LED lights and had no problems- Mice hate light. It was only $4.00/month to run.
Cheap insurance.
hmmm... interesting. I've never even thought about that. Did you just string the lights near the ground around the outside of the camper?

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmmm... interesting. I've never even thought about that. Did you just string the lights near the ground around the outside of the camper?
The camper was in a barn although it would still work outside as well.
I ran the string underneath the camper in the middle and over the axel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts