Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

My DWT Review - Experience :(

Tags
dwt review
1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  WFOWS6_IL 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so this going to be lenghty, but I am exteremly frustrated with DWT.

I worked out a sale on Nov 14th with a dealer on a new 14' Kawi T2, DWT Sector 12" wheels, and a few other goodies. Keep in mind this dealer is almost 3 hours from me, but they gave me the best deal by far!

The wheels didn't come in till Monday the 25th...no big deal. My dealer calls me and tells me the front wheels don't have enough clearance between the brake line and inner lip of the wheel. Man, most people would have overlooked that so that was cool they found that. The dealer is working with DWT for a solution.

The dealer calls me Tuesday the 26th and tells me DWT was thinking about spacers or offset wells...then I butted in and said no. That will void my warranty and make bearings and ball joints wear quicker. He then said DWT decided not to do that and where going to upgrade me to 14" Sector beadlocks and a set of their moapa tires for free for this inconvienence. I was in awh, cause I really did want a set of 14s but I didn't have the money to upgrade and get a new set of tires. That was worth the wait.

So I call my dealer the 3rd, Tuesday, to see if the wheels come in. They didn't have a tracking number so I called and talked to Rick @ DWT to see what's up. Explained to him who I was and the dealership and then he gave me the tracking number, but he said I wasn't getting the 14 wheels and tires anymore and that they are sending offset wheels instead. Of course I was like WTF and he said this was a better option to get me going. Seriously? Again, WTF why did they offer that then say no! My dealer was working with Rick on this and thought I heard the owner of DWT was in this too.

I guess the dealer wasn't going to let me know about this till I picked the machine up, which was another story.

Today the 4th I called and spoke to Rick again about these offsets cause I was thinking wait, this is going to look goofy. Of course it's going to have an 1 inch more lip on the outside and 1 inch less lip in the inside. I mentioned that if I call Kawasaki and tell them I'm running offset wheels, that they will say my wheel bearings and ball joints will not be warrantied if something does happen. He then stated the Magnisum Moss Act. Dude, I've been a mechanic for 13 years..8 of that was powersport related. Everyone knows an offset wheels wears parts out faster.

Anyways, I told him I'm most likely having the dealer send the wheels back and going to buy Hiper wheels. The conversation ended.

To recap, I found DWT does:

- Not test their wheels on units. DWT told this to the dealer.
- They will offer you something great, then to tell you that what you didn't want, you got. That was a kick in the nuts!
- Tell them you are disatisfied with the outcome and that you are going to buy from HIPER. If I was to represent a company and a customer had this issue and then went through all of this and was going to buy from someone else...I'd offer to help them out and make it right.

Ok, after all of that, I still don't even have my T2 yet and it's been 3 weeks. Going their Friday to pick the thing up. Man, now I'm not even excited about getting the thing now. Heck, I've had the FUTV skids for a few days now and don't even have the thing.

Anyone from HIPER willing to help me out here? :)

Also, while 2 inches isn't a lot, I plan on adding a LTI kit next year and then that really matters. I ride on tight trails so I don't want an 80" wide machine.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've heard before that DWT customer service is hit or miss. My question is why are you getting a $1200 set of wheels when you say you can't afford to upgrade tires? Granted it may be for looks but that's a whole other story. There are other beadlock options that you can get wheels and tires for LESS than $1200. If it was me I'd save up some extra money and get them all at once.

#3 · (Edited)
I ordered these wheels because I wanted these wheels. Not wanting to pay the money and not being able to afford something are two different things.

#4 ·
regardless of what wheels you get. to obtain the proper clearance, they MUST BE OFFSET!!!! You have to run offset rims. even if the rim didn't touch the brake line, the tire will absolutely hit the front steering balljoint. this even happens on STOCK RIMS running 10inch wide tires on the front.

OR...stay with the stockers.

hipers are offset and will stick out about 1 inch further on each side. Not a huge deal. I ran these on my 2008.

I did have to replace front axles, all axle bearings, ball joints. but that was after 6000 miles. So it didn't seem to have much effect on reliability.

So don't get too worked up over nothing. it's not like they were leaving you hanging with a purchase you can't be refunded.

#6 ·
most likely they sent them a 5+2. you'd need a 4+3 offset. this is what mine are.

Reactions: futv
#7 ·
While I agree they didn't leave me high and dry, I was a little in awh about the approach. The main issue is I've been wanting my side by side for 3 weeks, which is mainly what's weighing in on me here. I couldn't pick the thing up cause the deal with DWT was I give them my stock tires and they give me the 14s and new tires. Now that that's out of the question, I could have picked the thing up last week.

They sent 4+3 to try out this time, which should be here tomorrow, but FedEx is showing delays cause of the storm so...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.