Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always run performance air filters, AFE, K&N, AEM and UNI. On two occasions I was running a K&N one on my Prairie and one in my jeep. Both were properly oiled and the atv had the outerwear. Both units had dust and dirt particles pass through the filter and was coated on he throttle body.. So I would never run one again. Do they flow better? Yes, but that is the tradeoff, to get more flow you have to filter less.

Race guys who tear down their motor all the time anyway well they just want the most power they can get. I can't afford to do that...

Maybe its the terrain here and Maine that is not suited for a K&N but i am leaning towards they dont work well at filtering.

So far the best I have seen is the AEM dry filters. And in theory and there are plenty of tests to back this up paper elements FILTER the best, flow the worst but filter the best. Good luck guys.

·
Registered
60 Posts
thats weird,because ive always ran k&n's with no problems
As I noted in another thread, get some white grease and coat the inside of the air tract, just ahead of where the filter clamps on. Yes, I have K&N's with outerwears on all of my bikes, but I run almost all sand... Its that silty dust than can get past an even well oiled K&N - It's not any big secret...

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
I have NEVER had dust go past a dual density foam air filter when properly oiled. Sorry....can't happen. Noone here runs K&N filters if any water will be encountered. It soaks into the paper filter and turns into mud on the filter and clogs it up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its because you cant argue. Why would someone make up a story of dirt getting through a filter? To each his own but like I said I have seen it with my own eyes, I even remember before I bought this same argument was going on but I chose to try it myself and I learned for myself...

Keep running them if you have no problems well great, but anyone else who is interested you are taking that chance. Do some research, the info is out there and there has been plenty of tests showing the results.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I 100% agree, K&N filters suck. I wont even sell them to my customers. They are OK for the street and for sand, for anything else, a properly oiled foam filter is the way to go as they stop dirt 10x better and hold 10x more dirt before becoming clogged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts