Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
The o rings are put behind the gold rod end bushings to try and help keep mud out of the spherical bearing at each end of the shock. They are more less a dust protector. They do not need to be there but we put them in to try and help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Put 30 miles on the new shocks today. Rode in just about every scenario I will ride in for the most part. Went with a buddy who drives a Canam 1000r turbo. At the start, we were in flat low lands. Higher speed trails, plenty of whoops. The ride was buttery smooth down in the flats. Once in the whoops, things got interesting. I only had about a half inch of preload and dampening set mid range, 7 from full soft. The rear end of this thing was like a bucking bronco! Made me instantly wish I had held out for the gen 3 's to get back in stock. I pulled off the trail and cranked up the dampening to 13 clicks to see if it would help. It did some, and I wasn't too worried as I knew I would be adjusting things after todays ride anyway. Out of the flats and into the hills... Rocky trails, this is where it was obvious these shocks are the cat's meow! My buddy with the canam said smoother than his machine thru this stuff when I let him drive it for a bit. Any buyer's remorse the whoops gave me quickly vanished here. Amazed at the performance. Mind you I still had the compression up at 13 clicks! As we crested the hills and headed in deeper to the springs we were headed to, we got into some technical stuff. Never, even with my roof rack and spare tire up there, did it ever feel top heavy as it did with stock shocks. We did get into some snow, and I had to he winched out as my mongrels weren't up to the task and it just got too deep and heavy, I actually high centered on a sage brush under the snow. Once we hit the turn around point, I backed off the compression 4 clicks to 9 from full soft for the ride down. Ride was great all the way down, amazed me the entire ride Once back into the whoops, I slowed down, as it was still bucking pretty good. Enough in fact to launch my 200ft spool of rescue/climbing rope out of the bed of the car somewhere along the line. It will be missed. 6 miles from the trucks, My buddy calls out over the radio...just blew a belt. 800 miles on his machine is all. So I got to tow him in, plenty of rzr's got a kick out of that. Guess they've been there n done that. Once home, I adjusted some things. I did actually bottom out both front and rear twice, so I added another inch of preload to the rear and 1 1/8 to the front as things settled quite a bit. Set dampening at 7 from full soft for comparison sake as that's where I started today at. Then went for a jaunt down the canal road behind our place. There's a couple whoop like spots, where the rebound didn't seem as nasty, Don't know for sure yet. Handling is noticably improved even more so than what I was pleased with today. Headed back out in the morning about 15 miles north of where we went today in similar type stuff. Anxious to see what the adjustments bring. Local dealer is having a demo day and chili ride. Get to see what the talon is all about tomorrow, along with plenty of rzr's and dirt bikes. Will be fun , but looking forward to dialing these bandits in some more. Definitely worth the price! As others have said, totally different machine! If whoops is part of your regular ride, get the gen 3's. I will not be in them much, so not too worried about lack of rebound adjustment. Will report back what the adjustments made do for me tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Nice review man. Definitely gives me something to think about. Having a hard time deciding on which brand to go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ride #2 on new shocks yesterday. Local dealer had a demo day I also got to take part in. I was the first driver of the new Honda Talon, also spent some time in the rzr xp4 1000 turbo and the General. All super fun. Makes our t4's feel like golf carts after some time behind the wheel in that turbo! Until like the other day, I tow him back! But i digress... New adjustments on shocks were noticable. Rebound is still the only issue I am not pleased with. I have to remind myself, the whoops are less than 1 percent of where my time is spent, so really it should be a non issue. I am liking where the shocks are set now(see last post). Handles better in the turns, still buttery smooth on the trails. Really not much more to report. Did bottom the right front out once, in a pretty big dip in the trail, added two more clicks, and never again did I find the bottom anywhere. Will run them as is for awhile and see how it goes, one could adjust things for the rest of time, and never find a setting that is perfect all the time. A bit more on the rebound, I spent some time behind the wheel of one of the employees of the dealer's 1000 turbo s, with revalved shocks. Best riding machine I have ever experienced bar none. Even than I wanted better thru the whoops! I guess the best way to put it, These bandits, the way they ride just going down the trail, I wish everything was that good all the time! If trails is what you ride, get 'em!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Put the shocks thru the ringers this last weekend. Went to Moab for a couple days. First time, definitely not the last. Amazing place. From primitive trails to technical "I am gonna die" stuff, the t4, was amazing! The shocks equally so. They made 2 days of hard riding not only comfortable and enjoyable, but the extra travel and articulation makes the machine just perform. Anything I threw at it, it simply handled like a boss.

That all being said, would I buy them again? ...yes! In a heart beat. HOWEVER, I also bought limit straps and shock covers. I feel taken on these. The limit straps are VERY limiting indeed. Got rid of them before I tipped over. Once off, things were way more stable with tires on the ground where before they may not have been with straps on limiting my articulation to less than factory shocks did. The shock covers, simply are cheap crap. They are shredded, not from brush or rocks or anything, from the abuse of the limit straps rubbing. 3 rides and they are confetti. Best I can tell main purpose of the straps and covers is more profit for bandit. Wish I could get my money back on those both, as they are my only disappointment, but a big one. I have seen better ones for way less money off eBay.

Moral of the story, the shocks just perform. Not in the big whoops as previously posted, but there were plenty of small whoops which they smoothed out like butter.

Save your money on the covers and straps...you be the judge, insurance...yes. limiting ...INDEED!

200 bucks that could have been put elsewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello bobsousley,we are happy to hear that the shocks are performing great. Sorry to hear about the shock covers. Perhaps the limit straps need to be spaced away some with spacers on the shock bolts. We have not heard of anyone having a problem in the past. Our shock covers are made of denier nylon. This is a common material used for making shock covers. And I will say that they are much better quality compared to covers from Ebay. (We have 4 new covers in a box ready to ship out to you today for replacement). As for the limit strap limiting the shocks. They are supposed to be tight at first. And are calculated to the length sent to you with the shocks you purchased. The straps will stretch to the point that they will have about 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch of safety once stretched. It normally takes a few rides. As you stated above you got rid of them or had taken them off. It takes some time for them to stretch since the straps we sell are made by PRP and they are quad layer straps. Once they stretch you will not notice that they are on. And the benefits of straps will keep axles, ball joints, steering racks and shocks from prematurely wearing out. Especially since you now have shocks that actually move with more shaft travel. Sincerely, Josh

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I installed the straps per your instructions, purchased longer bolts, used a washer + lock nut first to tighten shock on mount, then the strap, then another lock nut. The result was a parallel fit next to the shock, with the strap and cover against one another. Used 1"longer bolts approx. Had 3 rides totalling over 300 miles, and while yes there was some stretch. It was minimal. What's the load limit on them? Maybe I will hang significant weight from them and prestretch them and try them again. They are the 15 and 17 inch length straps you sent...

I appreciate the offer to send me new shocks covers. We shall see how they fare I guess. Would have rather had the refund, but I see Kelly's email denied that.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Great job on reviews! I will add that rebound adjustment has helped me to settle the rear on whoops quite a bit! Only 1 section of road with 3 24" whoops for me to test on and trees across roads that used to buck the rear. At 25mph Bandits handle it great now. When new it was too soft, I tightened rebound some and added more preload. All good now, running around 7-9 clicks compression. 1" preload front and 1/2" inch rear added from full soft or zero preload as they came set at. With weight or passengers I may still need more in rear but not tested that yet. No sway bar. Are you running sway bar?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No sway bar. I just adjusted things a bit last night. Don't recall off top of my head, but I added a little more preload to the front another 3/8 or so, and then took the extra effort to get the lift brackets installed on the rear, and then took preload out of the rear. Hoping that helps take some of the bucking out of the rear end. Makes for good clearance, 14 all the way thru with no gear or passengers in the rear. Ride quality is still fantastic.

Has anyone hear

·
Registered
955 Posts
Good to hear the reviews. I still need to do some more riding so I can adjust my Performance 2.0's. Currently have quite a bit of preload both front and rear which was done to add clearance for the 30" tires. I added offset arms to the front so could back off the preload there, but haven't done the back yet. My original plan was to run limited preload for a softer ride but even with a lot of preload these seem to ride pretty nice....definitely a lot better than stock. Also like the ground clearance as I run a lot of technical trails with ruts and rocks. I've ridden with other Teryx's that had an extra inch of ground clearance and it made a noticable difference. There were rutted up hills they could cruise right up that I couldn't make even after several attempts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I hung a 4000lb Boulder from each strap individually for an hour today from one of my cranes... Once the load was removed, they had stretched only 1/4 of an inch. I just don't see how it's possible for them to stretch to the point the shock has all but the last 1/8 inch or so of travel, as there are nowhere near the forces applied at the suspension as I applied today. They tell me they will stretch 1 inch per 12 inches of strap. No they won't, killed that myth. Straps are rated at 7000lbs which is great if you need an extra foot of recovery strap, but over kill to limit travel of a shock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just a thought... While the pre-sale service was great in trying to decide which shock to purchase, and the shock itself a quality product, the post sale experience is a bit rocky. More to come, pending the outcome. No 100% satisfaction guaranteed here as of yet. Little surprised from a business owners standpoint myself...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Bob
With our many emails from you we have replied to you within minutes at every time of the day and night in the past couple of weeks. We sell quality products.
Our shocks for the Teryx have been out for five years with many happy customers and just as you have stated with our shocks. The limit straps are manufactured from the most prominent strap company in the business which is PRP/Speed Strap. If they stretched within ten minutes or within one short ride that would be a very low quality limit strap. We have let you know several times that it will take a few long rides and some time for the straps to stretch properly as they are quad wrapped straps and not double wrapped as some companies sell. We have one of the best customer service in the industry. We cannot take back any used products as this is our company policy as well as any other suspension companies policy. We also cannot take back straps that have been mounted and now stretched by hanging them from boulders. Please believe what we are saying to you that the straps will stretch as this is what they are engineered to do. Thank you
Bandit UTV Suspension Staff

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Oh Ted, I do appreciate your prompt responses to my questions. I have put 4 rides over 200 plus miles thru some terrain no human was meant to be on. I am telling you these aren't stretching to where they should be for that shock to have 95+% of it's capabilities available is all I am saying. You make a great shock, can't dispute that. Prp makes great stuff too, I know. I just think these may be too short. The force exerted by the spring and the weight of the suspension components and wheels vs a quadruple layer thick 7000lb test strap, should be a contest won by the strap long before enough stretch happens to allow that shock to function fully is all I am saying. I am not an expert by any means, as I explained to you in email, I am going off of what a 20+ year pro off-road guide in Moab, who does this stuff every single day told me. He may be wrong too. I will happily try the longer ones your sending and give report. And as I said, I will try and have one of my engineers do some more scientific testing than me suspending 2 tons to see if they'll do what they're supposed to and let you know. More curious than dissatisfied at this point.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Great thread. I might be doing some Bandits too when my ride arrives. I ran their springs on my Wildcat--great addition.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had a failure soon after installing bandit 3. Seal leaking. It did cost me almost $100 to ship it but Bandit repaired and sent back in few weeks. Good service. Thanks Bandit. So far no issues and I am happy. It is a great upgrade.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I had a similar experience recently with them also. The guy spent 30 minutes with me on the phone discussing the different options and the pros and cons of each.

Just to follow up on some of the above comments. The Gen 3 and Performance 2.0 versions are longer shocks as compared to the Gen 2. Using any type of lift brackets with the longer shocks will allow the suspension to over droop and bind up well before the shocks run out of travel. I tried mocking up my Performance 2.0 on the front with Highlifter brackets and would of had to compress the shock probably an inch just to get it to bolt in. With no lift brackets the shocks are just about the perfect length as you have to push the arms up about 1/2" away from binding to get them bolted up. You can easily get 2" of lift out of them with no brackets and the proper preload.
How much preload do you think is needed to get that 2" of lift? I am starting to work on mine now that I have put a few hundred miles on and am chasing the best setup. I have added enough front and rear to expose an inch of threads. Still have a slight tire rub up front that I'd like to get rid of.

Any recommendation for compression settings? Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, any time you add preload you can run the compression adjustment at the softest point. After riding adjust as needed. It really varies from one driver to another and different terrain etc. If you have one inch of threads over the front spanner collars you may only need to add a little more if any. Measure your front clearance. 10.9 inch is oe clearance.

Thanks, Josh
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Hello, any time you add preload you can run the compression adjustment at the softest point. After riding adjust as needed. It really varies from one driver to another and different terrain etc. If you have one inch of threads over the front spanner collars you may only need to add a little more if any. Measure your front clearance. 10.9 inch is oe clearance.

Thanks, Josh
[email protected]
Thanks Josh. So I'm on the same page, where are you measuring the ground clearance up front?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts