Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking around at ways to make my Teryx T2 750 faster at top end! Seems like most do a computer reflash??? Has anyone done this?

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
595 Posts
I can't speak to the older 750 models, but I have the Alba reflash on my 2019 and it does increase both the top speed limit and the diff lock limit. I know on the 2014-current models there is both a speed limiter and a rev limiter that need to be altered in order to increase the top speed, so the ECU reflash is the only way to do that. Again, I am not sure if the same is true about the 750 models but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Reactions: Ish

·
Premium Member
2011 Teryx Camo, Muzzy exhaust, MSD controller, Pro Armor doors, Method beadlocks and Tensor tires
948 Posts
First Gen. top speed is increased by adding a piggyback MSD ignition/fuel controller. Mine is labeled Dragonfire Racing, I don't know if they are still available. It plugs into the harness before the ECU. There is a switch with 5? positions or tunes, two or three are prewritten, the remainder you can write a custom tune. I also added an overdrive plate on the CVT drive clutch that basically allows the belt to ride higher. I don't remember the brand name.

Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put a programmable dynatek unit on my 08 model. I haven’t messed with the tuning on it, and I set up my clutch for low end torque. Speed’s not my bag. But, the clutch on the first gens can squeeze out some top end if you tune them that way. Also, there is a clutch pack cover that deletes the engine brake for more too end. I put it on mine for airflow. It was also from dynatek, but they had to discontinue them last year due to bearing sourcing. I had to find mine on eBay, it was still a new old stock.
The reason you have to delete the engine brake is to make room for the clutch to expand a little farther.

·
Premium Member
2011 Teryx Camo, Muzzy exhaust, MSD controller, Pro Armor doors, Method beadlocks and Tensor tires
948 Posts
It was optional to remove the electric engine brake with my plate, again I do not remember the brand. I guess I didn't consider what model year the O.P. was asking about. You would of course only be able to tune the ignition curve on an 08, and I'm sure the Dynatek removed the limiter.

Mike

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Mine, a 2011, will do that (downhill, with the wind). I have a Muzzy exhaust, MSD box and the overdrive plate I mentioned. I thought I might gain a little running 28" tires, but apparently the height is offset by the added weight of the tires and beadlock rims, still high 50s, might have seen 60 once?

Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine, a 2011, will do that (downhill, with the wind). I have a Muzzy exhaust, MSD box and the overdrive plate I mentioned. I thought I might gain a little running 28" tires, but apparently the height is offset by the added weight of the tires and beadlock rims, still high 50s, might have seen 60 once?

Mike
So other than clutches and exhaust… looks like I should go with the MSD Box? Is that the computer reflash?

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
The MSD box is a piggyback unit for the stock ECU that allows you to do the same thing as a reflash on the Gen. 2s., as in custom tuning the ignition and fuel curves and removing the speed limiter. It's my understanding the the first Gen. ECUs were not reprogammable, therefor the need to add the additional box in the harness before the ECU. Mine is set on the #2 tune I believe, which is for a stock machine with aftermarket dual exhaust. I'm not hightech enough to hook up the laptop and tune it myself!

Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
The MSD box is a piggyback unit for the stock ECU that allows you to do the same thing as a reflash on the Gen. 2s., as in custom tuning the ignition and fuel curves and removing the speed limiter. It's my understanding the the first Gen. ECUs were not reprogammable, therefor the need to add the additional box in the harness before the ECU. Mine is set on the #2 tune I believe, which is for a stock machine with aftermarket dual exhaust. I'm not hightech enough to hook up the laptop and tune it myself!

Mike
Dynatek made both a programmable and non programmable ecu for the fist gens. I don’t know if they are still making them, but I was able to get a NIB programmable one for my 08 from atv galaxy on eBay last year.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Dynatech looks like a good tip! I was just checking their website and it appears they still have a controller for the 1st Gens., right at $350.

Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Mike
Where can I buy one of these MSD boxes for my 2013? It’s just a plug and play? It already has canned tunes on it correct?

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
"Or mine being a gen 2…. Do I have to do the re-flash?"

I would check MSD's and Dynatechs websites, they may have something for Gen. 2s. A reflash may be less expensive, but you don't have the option of additional tuning maps, or making tuning adjustments yourself.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts