Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first side by side Teryx 750 about 2 months ago. It has stock rims and tires. I know I want to do 14in wheels on 27in tires. Would prefer 9 and 11s but know some models may be 10 and 12s. With budget in mind the mudlite xtrs seem to be higher than what I want to spend (even though I know they're superior to most and are radial). So now I'm down to 4 choices and can't decided. Swamplites, zillas, motomax or mudlite xl. I live in Louisiana. Most of the riding I will be doing will be a combo of pavement and gravel (trying to limit pavement to min). I mostly do light chores around house with it. However, there will be times I will want to take it thru the mud or go mud joy riding thru trails with friends. I'm wanting to keep in mind that typically tires with a "centerline or center pattern" tend to ride smoother on hard surfaces. Also keeping in mind weight of these tires (which I've already researched all 4 - zillas lightest and motomax heaviest).

Couple things with each I'm worried about: swamplites are they going to wear quickly and holes hard to clean mud out? Zillas are they light because rubber walls are thinner? Mudlites will they wear too easy? Motomax look similar to mudlite xtrs but don't know much about the brand and is there too much space between knobs?

Any helpful experience and knowledge based upon my riding style and needs much appreciated!! I also have no aftermarket lifts or performance enhancers.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If you are not looking for a directional tire, which if you are riding pavement and gravel, you don't want. I put 27x11x14 and 27x9x14 Rocatane XD's on mine. Definite improvement of the stock BH 2.0. Ride is not any worse, but handling is better. Not to mention they are 8ply radials. Might be worth checking out

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I appreciate the suggestion. I think I still may want a directional tire or one w a centerline for those times I will definitely need it in the mud joy riding or doing any work.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I had 27 xtr's on my foreman. They seemed to do decent on hard stuff and lite mud. No reverse traction, and did poor in sand. Probably a good choice if you gonna ride hard surfaces such as gravel and pavement, and will get you thru the mud also.

I haven't had any experience with the others you mentioned.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea the XTRs are very nice and tough. I have a buddy who has them on his rhino. However they are $150 or more than the other sets I'm looking at.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Have you looked or priced outlaw radials?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Kenda Bearclaw htr. Radial . Directional. 8 ply I think mine are. Im running 27x9 at all 4 corners. Go alittle wider in back if you do alot of road riding. Light weight and priced good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice tires. I like that theyre radials. I don't know much about Kenda brand but thought they were cheaper tire brand. Prices for the tire and wheel kit for the HTR aren't bad. So they ride smooth on hard surfaces like pavement and gravel? Have you had any others on your teryx to compare?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Kenda bearclaw HTR is awesome, just rode on mine for the first time, 60 miles on them. Rock, gravel, hardpack, mud. All around very pleased with them and they're cheap. No signs of wear at all!

13' T4, white, kawi roof, 30" totron single row, LED backup lights, 2" HL kit, 28" Terms. on M20 Kores. Viper 4k's front and back. NJC's gas pedal mod!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Get 11" wides on all 4 too! They don't run very wide at all
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405234032.641805.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405234046.913275.jpg

13' T4, white, kawi roof, 30" totron single row, LED backup lights, 2" HL kit, 28" Terms. on M20 Kores. Viper 4k's front and back. NJC's gas pedal mod!

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I had bighorns before these. I like these better for trail riding. Do great in soft ,loose terrain. Do good in mud for what they are. Better than a bighorn. On the road I feel the rear get kinda loose from such a tall sidewall . I have 12 inch rims and 27 in tall and 9 wide I have a narrow foot print. Feel if I had 14 in rim I would have less flex in sidewall. Also im a heavy rig. I got a 4 seat cage with seats in back Plus a cooler hanging off the back thats loaded down. All that behind the back axles. I rode alot of Rocky terrain back in June and had no issues. A place wear Blackwater evos and even a roctanes got cuts and flats. One in our group with roctanes cut a inside sidewall . And there was a xp1k that blew 2 Blackwater I had to give him plugs to try to get him back to his truck.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I like roctanes and the Blackwater evos. Not saying they are a bad tire at all . Before yall jump at me saying roctanes aren't junk. I was surprised I didn't cut a tire. Air pressure and riding style played a major role in what happened to their tires not quality of tire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea if I did get the htrs it looks like I'd have to go with 28in if I wanted 14in rims which is what I want. I appreciate that as another good option. Anyone else out there have any experience with the other 4 I mentioned : mudlite xl, swamplites, zillas (not mud zillas) and motomax?

·
Gip
317 Posts
IMO two factors play into choices. 1) look at load rating for tire the higher the load rating the more weight it can withstand, meaning it will last longer, all tires will work, some wear out much faster combo of terrain ridden and load rating on tires, same goes for autos. 2) compare radial to bias-ply, everyone says go with radial, I say hogwash, just look at how many buggies are out their have been running super swampers over the years, yes bias plys wear out fast on pavement thats why farmers hate asphalt roads, as tractor tires are bias ply.

·
Old Ezra
967 Posts
Kenda Bearclaw htr. Radial . Directional. 8 ply I think mine are. Im running 27x9 at all 4 corners. Go alittle wider in back if you do alot of road riding. Light weight and priced good.
Ditto!!!!! I've got a set on the way. After having the same set (HTRs) on 2 different Rangers. They wear like stone and ride great.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Had mudlites"pluglites" on my atvs before. They're too thin and weak, same with the zillas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone else out there have any other good comments on the 4 tires I mentioned? I hoping to go online by tomorrow or wed to make my final decision and order them. Sometimes too many choices aren't a good thing. Lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm still stuck between the 4 tire models I mentioned in my post and a 5th the Kenda HTRs. Any help with experience on these 5 would be very helpful

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have 28" Swamp Lites on my 2010 (9" wide front, 11" wide rear). They work great in mud, rocks and trails but they don't like pavement. I ran 5 psi front and 7 psi rear at Windrock last fall and had no issues at all but I have bead locks. The rears show a little wear but the fronts are worn more than I like for the amount of time I have spent on pavement. Overall, I'm happy with the traction they offer but they are a mud tire not a street tire.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts