Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

Need Help with Intake decision

4K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  DASARACING 
#1 ·
I bought an 08' a few weeks ago and have been spending more than I planned on Mods. These forums are awesome info but I keep finding more things I want/need! It sounds like the stock air filter has issues. For engine performance all I have added is a Dynatek cdi, and am waiting for the upgraded coils. I don't want to get into carb tweaking just yet. (I did order the billet plenum fix from DASA.)

Anyways I'll get to my question. I am happy enough for now on the hp / and engine performance. Should I add a K&N filter or and AFE filter for cleaner efficient performance. Should I just add the filter or swap out the stock intake? Will this require jetting?

As always I appreciate all the help I can get.

#2 · (Edited)
We have tested alot of different intake setups on our 2009 Teryx so far. None of them on the market ... RIGHT NOW ... add much if any HP like they all claim on a stock teryx with pipes. With that being said the stock setup sucks as the filter does not have a solid clamping surface and ESPECIALLY if not maintained correctly dirt, sand or crap can get past the filter and cause you BIG TIME PROBLEMS. We have come up with a great solution. Our kit comes with an oversized billet velocity stack that goes into the stock air box. Then we include a huge filter and outerwear. This filter and outerwear will still fit in the stock air box with the air box lid on. You can also take the air box lid off and the filter will stay on with no issues. Now with this part installed you will have a solid clamping surface for the air filter, a solid clamping surface for the intake tube and a huge air filter ..... PLUS a small HP gain. We are working with FUELATV on an intake setup that will be sold by FUELATV ..... this intake will be the goods and will make HP, but it is a ways out. Here is a link to buy our intake filter kit.

CLICK HERE for the Dasa TERYX filter kit

#3 ·
Do not use a K&N filter......Unless you are looking to do an engine rebuild sooner than you would like.

Ask any "professional" engine builder and they will tell you not to use a K&N on a four stroke machine. Your engine will literally suck the sand and grit through the filter and dust your motor.

#4 ·
I am very pleased with the intake package sold by Hunterworks. I have an '08 as well.
Anytime you increase airflow through the engine the fuel mixture is going to change.
Hunterworks kit includes a UNI air filter, and a jetting kit. Buy the TPI valves and you will have the whole package.
I also have the DASA intake rings on order, this is the only surefire way I know of of eliminating the source of the problem, not just attacking the symptoms.

#5 ·
I am very pleased with the intake package sold by Hunterworks.
I am sure this one works great on the 2008. All of the testing we have done is on the 2009 to avoid any CV carb issues. Once we dial in what makes hp on the 2009 we will apply it to the 2008 and make the carbs work.

Anytime you increase airflow through the engine the fuel mixture is going to change.
YUP ..... but just because you offer more air flow ie bigger air filter and more fuel via the fuel controller we used it does not mean you will get more HP. We added more air and more fuel with NO BIG HP GAINS ON THE DYNO. There are other issues with the teryx .... stock cams, ect. So we will see just how much can be gained on a stock cam teryx with an intake and pipes this weekend.

Buy the TPI valves and you will have the whole package.
Those work great and he has a good kit going no question. We do feel these are just bandaids to get the CV carbs to work right. This is why we are doing all our testing on the 2009. We can add as much fuel and air as the engine needs with out having to worry about making the carbs work.

I also have the DASA intake rings on order, this is the only surefire way I know of of eliminating the source of the problem, not just attacking the symptoms.
I agree 100% ...... for an 2008 our filter kit and the hunter works kit will give you a complete FLAWLESS and WORRY free intake.

#7 ·
TNT;

I didn't go as deep into the why and how of things as DASA did, but he is right.
At some point with the Teryx you will exceed the volume of air/fuel mixture able to pass through the intake runners and past the intake valve during the period when the piston is moving down and the intake valve is open.
This is drectly related to the camshaft profile, which, on this machine, I know zero about. DASA knows what they are talking about here.

DASA;

Thanks for the clarification, I ASSume everyone knows what the heck I am talking about.:nuts:
I know squat about the internal idiosyncracies of the Teryx engine. All of my 35 ish years in the the go-fast game have been spent delving into the mysteries of the V-8 engine.
If you look at my avatar, that is a iron block aluminum head single 4-bbl sbc Chevrolet, of the original style, that made 637 HP on the dyno at 7440 on race gas. Crower crank, 6 inch rods, Dart 220 Spread Port Heads, roller cam, Jesel drive, you get the idea...sounded like paradise uncorked at 8k climbing Sand Mountain.
I still have the dyno printouts.:D It was a sort of a cheater sprint car engine for the 360 class on gas with a Braswell Carb.
It was in a 1540 lb. hillshooter I built, from a pile of tubing.
Had to give it up due to a very bad spine.
I miss it. Alot. I wish I'd been able to hold on to the little 368, but I couldn't.
Would have made a heck of a engine for a highboy roadster.

As far as applying the FI work to the carb engines like mine, if I had my druthers, someone would work out a pair of injectors and poor-man's Motec or some other style controller. Something that would cost less than a arm and a leg to convert to. (If that doesn't happen, well, I have jetted, powervalved, tuned and futzed with Holleys for what seems like forever. I guess I can fiddle with these things. I put it on the hoist or up on ramps so I don't hafta bend over too far to work on it.)
It would be neat if to see if some of the guys running super high RPM engines could get some HP from a wee bit longer intake runner, getting some ram effect to help pack the combustion chamber...I dunno.
I am just an old hot rodder, modern bike engines are another world.
The Bultaco I had in junior high don't seem as cool now as it did back then...

#8 ·
Thanks for all the good info. Just a couple of questions for Dasa? How does your kit compare to the AFE intake (pros and cons). Would I have to jet either of them? (sorry still a little unclear on that) My goal is not to increase HP right now, just want the engine well protected and to run well. Is your filter easily maintained?

Thanks again.

#9 ·
The AFE system replaces the entire air box and does not include a lid if needed. The Dasa filter kit bolts into the stock airbox. We have done many hours of testing and found that the Dasa filter kit will make the same HP increases as the AFE system or any other intake system for that matter. Other intake systems are claiming big HP increases but after many hours on the dyno we have found those claims to be FALSE. They will increase HP #s but not enough to spend $300, when you can buy the Dasa kit and make the same power for much less money.

Re-jetting will be determined on what mods you have/plan to do and if you plan on removing the airbox lid or not. By just installing the Dasa filter kit and keeping everything else the same you will not have to re-jet your engine. If you install the AFE system you will definately have to re-jet your engine....

The filters are very easy to clean and will give you much more protection than the stock filter!!

#10 · (Edited)
Good info. Sounds like the right choice for me right now is the Dasa system. This will accomplish what I am looking for right now, better engine protection, and I can add Hunterworks TPI valves, or simialar when I ma ready to mess with the jets, exhaust, etc.. Thanks for the help. Is there anything I am missing?

Dasa, One more thing, does your kit come with a precharger?

#12 ·
Good info. Sounds like the right choice for me right now is the Dasa system. This will accomplish what I am looking for right now, better engine protection, and I can add Hunterworks TPI valves, or simialar when I ma ready to mess with the jets, exhaust, etc.. Thanks for the help. Is there anything I am missing??
NOPE ..... that it. This kit will work great with the hunter works TPI valves on the 2008 model. On the 2009 you can just take off the air box lid or drill some holes. Whateve you decide to do will work. We have a map for the powercommander, muzzy pipes and our filter kit available now.

Dasa, One more thing, does your kit come with a precharger?
Yes it does ..... here is everything that comes in the kit.
Air intake part Auto part Filter Oil filter Cylinder

and as you can see below our air filter has alot larger opening.
Auto part Product Light Automotive lighting Spoke

To purchase our filter kit ......... CLICK HERE

#15 ·
All filter kit orders have shipped or will ship today. We ran out of plenum rings. We have the material now and we are running of 200 sets on the CNC. So those will be done and shipping 5/13/2009 Thanks for your support. We will also have soem installation instructions on the website next week. If you need any help just PM me. It is pretty basic ........

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE

#16 ·
Dasa,

UPS just dropped off my air filter kit, and I went to put it in to my teryx and had a problem. The circumference of the billet velocity stack was larger than the intake in the air box? Am I doing something wrong or did I get an 09' delivered by mistake? Is the 09' airbox intake hole larger than the 08'? There were no directions or packing slip in my box.

I also ordered directly from the link you posted so I paid the full $149.99 plus tax. My bad for not paying better attention to your posts. I am hoping to get this filter in service before my next ride.

Thanks.

#17 ·
You need to cut out the plastic air box fitting thats in there right now. I know they were in a hurry to get these out and the instructions may not have been ready in time. But you can see where the adapter will slide into your airbox once you make the cut...I will see if I can dig up a ACAD file with the cut outs and the bolt holes...be right back...

#18 · (Edited)
We will have a template and instructions online asap. It is a very straight forward install. You just trim the ring off the stock air box, drill 4 small mounting holes and the billet adaptor will bolt right in giving you a sold clamping surface for the intake boot and a solid clamping surface for the filter. You willalso have to trim alittle off of the inside of the air box. As you can see the velicity stack is larger and has a killer taper from the filter to the intake. There are a few other ways we could have done this, but this is the best way. All other ways would not have given 2 solid clamping surfaces or we woudl have had to make the intake hole smaller ... and niether of thos4e is an option. I sent you a PM and gave you my phone number just let me know if you have any questions.

Here is the issue with the stock intake and filter as you can see the filter can peel right back and has no clamping surface.
Finger Vehicle door Automotive exterior Hand Bumper

Here is the billet adaptor once installed.
Rim Auto part Vehicle Wheel Car

Here is the filter ... now with a solid clamping surface
Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Wheel

#24 ·
i know for me, i am thinking about the plenum rings right now, but would like to see a pic since one not on the site yet. as for the filter, i am actually quite happy with my uni filter but will be looking at the air box closer over the weekend. do you sell just the ring?

#26 ·
I have the Dasa kit on my Teryx. I installed it after I had my Gibson slipon without jetting it and it ran great. You will need to shave a little off the opening of the stock air box to allow the billet adapater to go through and attach the the intake tube. It does work, and allows for a solid clamping surface for the filter. I jetted mine the other day and with this setup this thing screams now.

#28 ·
I bought a filter kit and a couple of plenum rings. I haven't even taken delivery of my Teryx yet! But it all makes good sense to me. I actually did the same type of filter kit when I bought a new Banshee back in 97 from Alba and it worked great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.