Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some advice. I have a 2019 teryx 4 that is now sometimes hard to start when cold. The valves have already been adjusted and are within specs. I have put a new fuel pump and new filters. Cleaned fuel tank out and there was no trash in it. If I cycle the key 3 times before I try to start it and let the fuel pump turn off then it fires right up. I think I might have some kind of an injector issues but not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· July & December '22 TOTM Winner
2022 Teryx SLE
263 Posts
With the ethanol content in gas now, I use injector cleaner every few tanks. I use Sea Foam cleaner, and have always had excellent results. I’m sure there are others that will work as well.

· Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
956 Posts
My 2020 sometimes takes a try or two to fire up. If I let the pump prime before cranking it usually starts right up. It's never not-started and once running I forget about it until the next time it happens.

· Registered
64 Posts
Maybe the pressure is bleeding off somewhere.
You throwing parts at it without knowing the case. Not the way to do it as sometimes a defective part is added.

How about history. Mileage on it, how often used or not used, oil changed when etc. Have plugs been checked and battery voltage. (I understand the batteries are MIA. Bad engineering for servicing but there has to be some direct test points you can use for a meter.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plugs are new, battery powered is now an automotive Agm under the seat. Voltage is great. It has just over 100 hours and only about 20 hours on oil change and will be doing it soon. It’s driven several times a week and only non ethanol fuel is used. I am also adding a new air filter since I have not done that yet but it wasn’t very dirty. I will also try the the injector cleaner on this tank. It ran great then all of a sudden it started this. Also after it does crank is run perfect and starts perfect until the engine is completely cooled off again.

· Registered
64 Posts
With those hrs you don't need valves or other work done including filter especially if clean. A filter will NOT prevent cranking. It sound like it starts whenever it cranks!! Is it under the 3 year warranty? Its hard to diagnose online. Assuming you didn't and don't go into deep water or got water in the tank somehow you may and most likely have to have a dealer look at it. Symptoms are key and we cannot assess detail which maybe key to the problem

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It goes in deep water I am also going to drain all fuel out of it again and make sure there is nothing in the tank. Out fresh fuel in and injector cleaner and see if that help at all. Also I am going to check all connections and make sure that water has not gotten into it. It’s a 19 and no more warranty. So I am on my own. There are not many dealerships around where I live and the ones that are I don’t trust at all.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after hours of reading through posts on this forum I was able to figure out my issue. It was the spark arrester. I took it out and it was dirty. Since it’s been out no more cold start issue plus an increase in power or at least it feels like there is. I cleaned it and put it back in and I nice again cold start issues. So I cut it off and put the tip back on. So far I have over 5 cold starts with no issues. I’m guessing there was too much back pressure for it for some reason. Thanks for everyone input and for all the post on this forum

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the cold start issue started again. I changed spark plugs rechecked valves which were spot on cleaned gas tank and all new fuel lines which nothing helped. So I started to think about it as a car versus a sxs. I began checking sensors which I discovered that the oxygen sensor was unplugged cleaned the connection and sealed it plugged it back in problem gone completely. I figured the spark arrestor helped but it was still hot outside and since now it’s cold it had to be something else. So just letting anyone know that has the same issues it could be that. Just one more thing to check before wasting money at the dealership

1 - 11 of 11 Posts