Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Will welded tubing be strong enough? I think dom or chrome moly would be a better choice. Just my opnion

·
Registered
39 Posts
Will welded tubing be strong enough? I think dom or chrome moly would be a better choice. Just my opnion
You cant be serious, when was the last time you have seen or heard of a welded carbon steel tube fail on it's seem? Just my opnion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dom tubing and/or chrome moly is what I want protecting my brains in a roll over. Not exhaust tubing. Its not the weld its the overall strenght of the tubing. Try using cold rolled electric tubing on suspension componets and see how quick it fails. I actually build Parts for asphalt race cars, new to offroad just surprised to see welded tubing maybe thats what everbody uses. Just wondering????

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have never heard of cold rolled tubing, most is hot rolled then pickled in oil to remove surface scale. I think it boils down to the application and theory.
NASCAR chassis are contstructed of DOM [mild steel] for from what i understand is it doesnt brake[sheer] like molly and will disapate energy better. Then on the other hand sprint cars are made from molly and are subjected to more violent crashes, Who knows. What i think makes a difference is what wall thickness is being used on either or.

·
TURBO!
425 Posts
DOM is definetly stronger, I have a ercolina SB48 bender it wont bend .095 1 3/4" DOM but it bends .095 1 3/4" welded tubing just fine. I would rather have a cage out of DOM but if you did a cage out of welded tubing(.095 wall Not exhaust tubing) the right way you wouldnt have a problem..might not hold up as good as DOM in a wreck but it would still get the job done, just depends on how you build it.

·
Vendor
2,438 Posts
Well just to let you guys know that is 120 wall
but we will build you cages out of anything you want I built my RZR cage out of 083 Chrome Moly but its all in the wallet sure chrome moly cost more but I can run a lighter wall because of strength and most of you guys dont want to pay the price but we do build them out of anything you want as long as we go with thicker wall, at least when you buy from us we have insurance backing us up...ask most shops out there if they do ??? or the guy building you a cheap cage in his garage ..............

·
Registered
81 Posts
It was not my intention to degrade your work. Sorry it sounded that way and/or you took it that way. I was just curious about material. The type of racing I do uses 1 3/8 .095 chrome moly. Yes and it costs 100 bucks a stick now OUCH. But 1 3/4 120 wall cold rolled electric welded. for a vehicle that goes 60 mph max is strong as hell, My last roll over on the street in my 73 bronco was electric welded. It held up real good. Hey one more question when you weld chrome moly what filler rod do you use? I have been using Er/70s with straight argon,as per local welding supply. It seems to run a little dirty. ??????

·
Registered
92 Posts
I really like the look of the front bumper. How much does it cost and any other designs. I am wanting to run 2 or 3 HID's on the front and would like a little protection for the lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts