Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the wife wanted a UTV for her Mother's Day present, but have never owned one before. We are an outdoors family mainly with jetksi's and boats, I did thorough research on a lot of UTV's and the Teryx fit almost every box we would need it for. So far we are love it, yes, it is kind of loud, but it has excellent power for what it's rated at, and I can't wait till the 20 hour break in is over so we can really get on it. I also came home with a KFX 50 for the daughter, she hasn't gotten off of it.
image_50395649 (1).JPG

I have always owned Kawasaki Jetkis, they have been bullet-proof for us, so the decision on the Teryx, along with the reviews on online really sold us on this machine. Now its time to throw some mods/accessories at it.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
273 Posts
Well I guess nobody mentioned that the Teryx S model has terrible front suspension... you should tear it all off and send it to me and I will get you some LE replacements.
Ha, I'm kidding of course. Welcome to the group, you will love that machine. And congrats on the KFX 50 too, I am looking at getting a quad for my son. Can I ask how old your daughter is that rides it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I guess nobody mentioned that the Teryx S model has terrible front suspension... you should tear it all off and send it to me and I will get you some LE replacements.
Ha, I'm kidding of course. Welcome to the group, you will love that machine. And congrats on the KFX 50 too, I am looking at getting a quad for my son. Can I ask how old your daughter is that rides it?
My daughter is 8 years old and it tops out about 9-10 mph, I am taking it back in on Saturday and my buddy who owns the Kawasaki shop is taking off the clutch "washer" (restrictor) and I have been told it will go around 20 mph then. He has a green one also, I am thinking of getting for my 11 year old son and doing the same thing. He is riding it around now, loves it, but wishes for more speed. I thought about getting him a Brute Force 300, but, I don't feel comfortable with him on it if something "bad" happens: goes to fast (over 40 mph), its too heavy to lift off if it rolls over and lands on him, and he is a typical "boy" and all of us "men" know what we were like at that age, so I'm thinking the 50 will be fine, They also make a 90, but he doesn't have one in, and doesn't know when he will have one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome. It looks like that garage has room for more toys...
I also have a boat that is at the lake house. One of the reasons I bought the house, Garage is almost 1500 sq ft alone. I am just really excited to have quality family time with all 4 of us in one vehicle. We took it out on Mother's Day for a 17 mile backroads voyage and had a blast.

·
Registered
2021 Teryx4 LE S
13 Posts
Nice machine! Just did my first maintenance today and was fun finally hitting the speed limiter!

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
273 Posts
My daughter is 8 years old and it tops out about 9-10 mph, I am taking it back in on Saturday and my buddy who owns the Kawasaki shop is taking off the clutch "washer" (restrictor) and I have been told it will go around 20 mph then. He has a green one also, I am thinking of getting for my 11 year old son and doing the same thing. He is riding it around now, loves it, but wishes for more speed. I thought about getting him a Brute Force 300, but, I don't feel comfortable with him on it if something "bad" happens: goes to fast (over 40 mph), its too heavy to lift off if it rolls over and lands on him, and he is a typical "boy" and all of us "men" know what we were like at that age, so I'm thinking the 50 will be fine, They also make a 90, but he doesn't have one in, and doesn't know when he will have one.
thanks for the info. My son is 6 years old and I have been looking at the Polaris Outlaw 70 because it has a good adjustable speed controller and should last him a good 3 or 4 years I would think. The KFX is another good option though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice machine! Just did my first maintenance today and was fun finally hitting the speed limiter!
Question, did you "TRULY" follow the break in period on your Teryx? 20 hours seems like a long time to baby it?!?
I have gone through 5 Kawasaki Jetski's since 2004 and everyone of them wanted 10 hours of break-in period, I rode them around for about an hour and then put the hammer down and I have never had any issues with them. My last 2 that I have now are 2011's and the only thing done to them has been the batteries. Just curious because this is my first UTV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would honestly wait and try to find a 90. An 11 year old is going to outgrow a 50 in no time
Ya, the size of the 50 to a 90 are the exact same. It's just the engine that's different. Taking the clutch washer out of 50 gets you around 20 mph compared to 25 mph on the 90. I am going to speak to him again on Saturday and ask him what he think. All I know is this little KFX is built "SOLID" and I can tell it can handle a ton of abuse, there is a reason you don't find many of them for sell on the used market, and if you do, they are sold quickly. I searched for 5 months, since December and couldn't find a single one in a 250 mile radius of me in Iowa.

·
Registered
2021 Teryx4 LE S
13 Posts
Question, did you "TRULY" follow the break in period on your Teryx? 20 hours seems like a long time to baby it?!?
I have gone through 5 Kawasaki Jetski's since 2004 and everyone of them wanted 10 hours of break-in period, I rode them around for about an hour and then put the hammer down and I have never had any issues with them. My last 2 that I have now are 2011's and the only thing done to them has been the batteries. Just curious because this is my first UTV.
Lots of opinions on this one. I didn't hit the 20 hrs but put 200 kms in about a week so wasn't a problem. I didn't baby it by any means but kept it at half throttle for the most part and tried not to stay at any sustained speed for too long. Wasn't an issue at any point. Some will say heat it up and cool it a couple times or drive it like you plan to normally right out the gate, etc... I'm new to UTVs but came from the car tuning world where everyone has the same differences of opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots of opinions on this one. I didn't hit the 20 hrs but put 200 kms in about a week so wasn't a problem. I didn't baby it by any means but kept it at half throttle for the most part and tried not to stay at any sustained speed for too long. Wasn't an issue at any point. Some will say heat it up and cool it a couple times or drive it like you plan to normally right out the gate, etc... I'm new to UTVs but came from the car tuning world where everyone has the same differences of opinion.
Well, I'm right at 2 1/2 hours on it right now, and I have just been cruising the countryside keeping the speeds between 30 to 40 mph, and accelerating at a normal rate, never mashing it yet to the floor, I was figuring put about 5 hours on it like I have been and then really kinda getting on it harder. Thanks for the response

·
Jan & Jun 2021 TOTM Winner
524 Posts
Welcome! My 20hr break in la
I pretty much did the same. It still runs a year later. It's easier to change the fluids on the Teryx than on my 800 rzr that had engine, transmission and transfer case fluids and the two diffs. And for some stupid reason they used allen head drain plugs in those things too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts