Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. I am a new owner of an 08 teryx Le camo edition. I got it on the cheap with only 2200 miles on it. While tinkering around with it I realized there is an intake on the clutch housing. But, there is no filter of any kind on the intake. Should there be? I dug around online and here and can't find any mention of one other than people adding snorkels to it.

I'm sure I will have more stupid questions later.....

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
No filter on the CVT intake, but you've got carburetors! Watch the air filter maintenance and oil level very closely.

There are no stupid questions, Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No filter on the CVT intake, but you've got carburetors! Watch the air filter maintenance and oil level very closely.

There are no stupid questions, Mike

Thanks. On the air filter...
I got it cheap because the old guy was having to spray a little ether in the intake to get it to start on the first start of the day. He had already replaced the fuel pump because he thought it was losing pressure over night. I noticed the air filter was in poor condition when I bought it and figured it might have trash in the carbs.

Well today the new filter arrived. When I pulled the old one out, a long piece had been sucked into the intake restricting the air flow.
After changing it, I hit the key and barely had to give it any choke and it fired right up.

My friend was telling me the other day that people will unload a toy cheap as soon as they have a problem with them, and it's usually something dumb.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
There were two issues with the first Gen. Teryx air filters. First is location, the air intake being between the cab and box ingests a lot of dust, it was a big improvement on the Teryx4 in 2012 to move the airbox up under the dash. The second problem was the design of the filter itself, the foam not being positively connected to the plastic frame or clamped onto the airbox snorkle. . When the filter becomes dirty/clogged (which can happen very quickly under dusty conditions), the suction from the engine can collapse the filter pulling the sealing edge of the filter off the airbox leaving a clear path for dirt into the engine. Keeping the filter clean and sealing the front edge with grease helps, but a Unifilter setup that comes with a clamp on snorkle is a much better solution.

Congrats on the "old school " Teryx, looks like you got a good deal!

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. This thing is really overkill for what I was looking for. I was on the hunt for a golf cart when this thing landed in my lap. We moved out to a country neighborhood with a half acre. The shed is way out back and I wanted something just to move things around the yard with.

Now the wife and son are pumped up. So we are looking into trails to ride and such. No mudbogging, just tooling around.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My friend was telling me the other day that people will unload a toy cheap as soon as they have a problem with them, and it's usually something dumb.
Had a friend who was a decent mechanic. He picked up motorcycles, lawnmowers, chainsaws, ATV's, etc..... all the time for dirt cheap or even free because they wouldn't run or had some issue. 9 out of 10 times he had them fixed within a day with either just some adjustments or a few small parts for cheap.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
335 Posts
Had a friend who was a decent mechanic. He picked up motorcycles, lawnmowers, chainsaws, ATV's, etc..... all the time for dirt cheap or even free because they wouldn't run or had some issue. 9 out of 10 times he had them fixed within a day with either just some adjustments or a few small parts for cheap.
We used to be in the atv flipping/parting game and we would find this all the time as well. Carburetors and drum brakes were our best allies at time, lol. If the older atv's would sit for a few years the rear drum brakes could seize up, combine that with a dead battery and gunked up carb and people would sell them for dirt cheap thinking they were locked up and dead. A few hours with a big hammer, a torch, and some carb cleaner and the machine would be ready to hit the woods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what my painter guy does. He has even gotten some that were simply out of gas!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts