Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 teryx 750 le that I've had for 1.5 years. It has been running great. This afternoon when I started it, it sounded strange and was only generating about half power. What should I check first or should I simply take it in to a shop?

·
Premium Member
2011 Teryx Camo, Muzzy exhaust, MSD controller, Pro Armor doors, Method beadlocks and Tensor tires
890 Posts
Sounds like it is possibly only running on one cylinder? Remove enough plastic to access the exhaust near the head, then start up from cold and see if both pipes get hot. You may have a fouled plug. While you have the plastic off would also be a good time to check valve clearances if you don't know when or if they have previously been checked.

Good Luck! Mike

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
798 Posts
Speaking of valve clearance, do you happen to know off the top of your head how often that should be checked? I'm too lazy to look and figure it's probably something that should be done one day.

·
Premium Member
2011 Teryx Camo, Muzzy exhaust, MSD controller, Pro Armor doors, Method beadlocks and Tensor tires
890 Posts
My 2011 FSM says first check/adjustment @ 1,200 miles(2,000 KM) and then every 2,500 miles(4,000 KM)

I don't remember much of anything useful "off the top of my head"! Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like it is possibly only running on one cylinder? Remove enough plastic to access the exhaust near the head, then start up from cold and see if both pipes get hot. You may have a fouled plug. While you have the plastic off would also be a good time to check valve clearances if you don't know when or if they have previously been checked.

Good Luck! Mike

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
798 Posts
I'm not a motor guy per say but how do you check valve clearance and adjust it? I have a 2017 750.
You have either your year or engine size wrong. If you do have a 2017, do a search for a 2016 service manual. I posted a link to one multiple times. Okay here 2016 teryx4 LE - service manual

Reactions: brokennosescotty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Good Luck! Mike
Thanks. I thought that it may only be hitting on one cylinder but I'm not a mechanic. I'll check that out. Sure wish that engine was easier to access. I'll check youtube for valve clearance process. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Learning how to service you own Teryx will save you big $$$$. A few mechanical skills and a FSM are all that is required. As you have noticed the Teryx is not the easiest to access the engine or work on. With labor rates at $100+ it is very expensive to have anything done at the shop. I think you will find it satisfying and financially rewarding to learn to work on your machine. This Forum is a great source of information and support also!

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts