Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new teryx, had 1 hour on it. I noticed right away when you take off in high the belt is very grabby. It almost like a studder.. Slip grab slip grab until it fully grabs. VERY annoying. I have had Prairies, and oher belt dive machines and never expirienced this. What could be wrong?

On another note the dealership told me that Kawasaki mandates the first service be done at a deaership of they can void your warrenty, I also opted for the extended warrenty which they tell me is a bumper to bumper warrenty except wear items. (Belt, breaks etc)

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
TOld me the same thing. Better work some O/T. You'll love the bill from the first service.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My first service was only $65. Only oil changes though. They did not have tools to do belt deflection. I finally ordered tools to do belt myself. My belt does the same thing since the start. They told me the belt stretches in the first few hours, then you have to get the deflection adjusted. After adjusted it is goo for next 200 to 300 hrs. I am currently doing belt adjustment now. Not too bad if you are mechanically inclined person.

·
Registered
11 Posts
belts

I have bout 530 miles and 78 hours on mine. '08 le. It started that slip grab crap couple days ago when I got into some deep mud (no water). Then 10 mins later the belt gave up the ghost. I haven't done a deflection test ,didn't know to check that. I have to order a new belt now. What's the best brand and does the gas tank have to come out? I'm 27in x 10in itp mud lites, no mods. Need good exhaust and cdi box, larger clutch I hear is good for the bigger tires?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I have bout 530 miles and 78 hours on mine. '08 le. It started that slip grab crap couple days ago when I got into some deep mud (no water). Then 10 mins later the belt gave up the ghost. I haven't done a deflection test ,didn't know to check that. I have to order a new belt now. What's the best brand and does the gas tank have to come out? I'm 27in x 10in itp mud lites, no mods. Need good exhaust and cdi box, larger clutch I hear is good for the bigger tires?
Yeah the fuel tank has to come out to get to the belt. It covers the CVT cover. Once its out its easy work.

·
Registered
463 Posts
had the sae thing happen to me at about 25hr, thought I smoked the belt so I bought another one to replace it. After talking to dragon fire and was told to install the new belt and remove the small sheave shim. I did it about 30 hrs ago and haven't had any issues since with the belt. The trickiest thing is taking the sheave apart to remove the shim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What shim ? I've read where people have added washers to their clutch,but not taken shims out? Anybody got any pictures?

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
There are shims inside the secondary pulley. Kawie offers about 5 different thickness'. Once the secondary pulley is off you can remove the spring (using a spring compressor) and then remove the cogs or pins from inside the shaft, this will allow you to seperate the two halfs of the secondary pulley. On stock units you will find 2 shims one larger than the other, most people just remove the small shim but I have found that it is not enough to get within spec and the large shim is too much and the belt will be too tight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 09 with 30hrs and my belt light kept coming on causing the vehicle to go in limp mode. I checked the belt myself and thought it had alot of slack in it so i took it to the dealer for warranty work. They told me the belt will have slack in it until you throttle up and they replaced my speed sensor. Everything is fine now but i still worry about slack in the belt especially for our tennessee mountain trip coming up. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THIS DEFLECTION TEST ALSO CAUSE my kawasaki dealer is not to bright. They never mentioned that kawasaki had to do the first service and i definately did not want to pay $100 for a oil change.

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
The recommended belt deflection is 22-27mm, this measurement is to be taken with a certain pressure on the belt.

Here is another example of the dealer not knowing how to OR not wanting to adjust the belt tension. It seems to be a commonality between ALL dealers......

·
Registered
56 Posts
What shim ? I've read where people have added washers to their clutch,but not taken shims out? Anybody got any pictures?
Some people call washers but Kawi service manual calls them "shims".

Adding washers/shims doesn't make any sense. Why add? Adding means increasing the distance between the two sheaves of the driven converter. Typically (more like always) the washers/shims are taken out in order to tighten up the belt. Belt becomes only LOOSER due to wearing, just like chain on bikes, not tighter.

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Some people call washers but Kawi service manual calls them "shims".

Adding washers/shims doesn't make any sense. Why add? Adding means increasing the distance between the two sheaves of the driven converter. Typically (more like always) the washers/shims are taken out in order to tighten up the belt. Belt becomes only LOOSER due to wearing, just like chain on bikes, not tighter.
I think he had maybe read a few of the posts where people were talking about adding washers to the primary to get more OD instead of purchasing the after market clutch caps or having the stock clutch cap machined.

Adding space between the secondary pulleys will taken tension off of the belt. Removing space between the secondary pulleys will add tension to the belt. Most people just remove one shim and call it good. I like to calculate the adjustment needed and then add or remove the correct thickness shims to get the belt deflection perfect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
mine did the same thing with the little jerk-jerk-jerk thing starting when it had about 30 miles on it. I finally took it apart and took a shim out and its perfect now. wish i had done it earlier.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Just a side not since this thread is a little old, but I don't think the dealer can mandate the first service be with them or the warranty is void.

·
Teryx SxS 01
68 Posts
My first service was only $65. Only oil changes though. They did not have tools to do belt deflection. I finally ordered tools to do belt myself. My belt does the same thing since the start. They told me the belt stretches in the first few hours, then you have to get the deflection adjusted. After adjusted it is goo for next 200 to 300 hrs. I am currently doing belt adjustment now. Not too bad if you are mechanically inclined person.
Where did you order you tool for belt deflection and how much. I am looking to order one too. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts