Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I don’t currently own a Kawasaki teryx but I am heavily considering it.

we currently own a 2014 arctic cat wildcat trail which we love! It has great power, it’s small enough for any trail and it will go dang near anywhere you tell it to go you just hang on for dear life!

here’s why I’mconsidering swaping. We have owned it for 4 years. In this time the biggest problem we have run into the size. We don’t have kids yet but we do have 2 dogs and my dad that comes hunting and riding with us occasionally. Obviously with a 50” 2 seater machine this becomes a problem to the point we often don’t use it as much.

Call me whatever you want but our dogs have a lot of priority’s in our life and so if we’re camping we either have to have someone to babysit the dogs or we have to leave them in the camper shell or camper which they do fine except in the summer when it gets way to hot to do that. And I don’t dare leave them outside just chained up.

I have considered building a flat bed on our wild cat and I think it would be a fun project but it would be a lot of work for something that has a high chance of not working. (Vibration, grip, heat, strength of the bed vs weight) etc. Iv also considered a small trailer but then I’d have a extra trailer to transport and I don’t think it would go so well.

after doing a lot of research Iv about come to the conclusion we need a bigger machine. I know this is a Kawasaki forum but what would besome pros and cons of the machine? Correct me ifI’m wrong but these are some things I found

pros
4 seats
Good power
Reliable
Lights
Large rear seating
Close to 60”
More utility?

cons
Loud
Short suspension travel
Cost money (we own our current one)
No park that’s kinda weird to Me but not a deal breaker
More than 50

I’d like to hear some constructive thoughts. Iv looked at several other machines in video and paper and the teryx is my favorite

we use it mostly while camping for trail riding but we do use it a lot during hunting season and we would probably use it more around the house if it had more utility than our current one.

As my dad put it it would be a expensive dog hauler….. haha

·
TOTM Winner May 2022
Empire slip on,Memphis sound bar, Tusk windshield, winch, light bar etc.
79 Posts
I would definitely say go for it. If you’re worried about the suspension then get the “s” model. Wayyyyy better suspension setup. I’ve been around some Artic cats and the noise factor is probably around the same or even less for the Teryx. Honestly on the trails the Teryx 4-s completely kills any other 4 seat sxs’s. There’s no comparison. I run mine with 2 seat sport buggies all the time. It does 99.5 % of everything that they do. It completely eats up my cousin’s pioneer 1000-5 and destroys rzr 4 seaters. They’re wayyy too long. The width doesn’t bother me at all and we’re in the woods 100% of the time. The only thing I don’t like too much is the heat in the cab but I was told Kawasaki addressed that on the newer models. I have a 2021. To me you can’t go wrong with the Teryx-s. It’s just a pure animal that’s tougher than nails, has a bad ass warranty, and excellent ride quality.

·
TOTM Winner May 2022
79 Posts
Also the no park doesn’t bother me at all. It’s got a good e brake. I parked it on steep hillsides all the time. I also want to say that this isn’t the only sxs that I’ve owned. This is my 3rd and by far the best one

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,618 Posts
If you are looking for the best 4 seat SxS that isn't as long as a school bus, then the Teryx4 is the best there is. Suspension travel is shorter, but honestly, its not nearly as big of an issue as people think. When you get to the point where you need more than that, you are probably looking for a different class of bike anyway.

The biggest items to note on the T4 when compared to any other Sport/Utility 4 seater is the comfort of the rear seats. All other bikes sacrifice rear seat comfort, but not Kawasaki. Their rear seats are just as comfortable as the drivers seat. Add to that the 3 year warranty (standard!) and the legendary reliability, its hard to beat the T4 when it comes to carrying 4 people.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I researched a ton before I bought. I really enjoy the Teryx 4 S. With mine I have added more sound/heat insulation and Alba Racing ECU tune. They have both helped but I do wish it had a-little more power. When I have all 4 family members with me and we are going up a hill I can’t hold 56 mph. It will go back down to 50ish mph.
56 is the sweet spot on my machine, it runs very well and engine isn’t “screaming” at me like it is when you go 60 or above.

if it had an additional 20-25 hp. This little machine would be absolutely perfect! The warranty of 3 years with the ability to add 3 more years (at a cost) is also a game changer. No other manufacturer come close. The price of mind is really nice! I bought mine last May and still have almost 2 years left. My brother in law and nephew bought new Polaris’s in February and there done with warranty already.

·
TOTM Winner May 2022
79 Posts
Oh I also forgot to mention mine is at 1200 miles now with not one issue. And that’s not around the block miles, that’s hill climbing and rock crawling/bouncing, hard trail miles. They’re tanks. Checkout Red Dawg Off-road YouTube channel and you can see what they’re capable of.

·
Registered
2014 TERYX 4 LE 4X4
87 Posts
I love mine as others have said b4 the cab gets warm in the summer buy I've beat on mine for years & other than plugging tires & melting a Hole in the bed above the muffler it's a beast. I should have insulated the bottom of the bed & I wouldn't have had that issue honestly. I've recently lifted mine & put portals as well as alot of Boltons Windshields & winch currently doing a stereo but it's not a rush. But I enjoy everything about my tyrex now would I consider the 2022 Tyrex4 Heck Yeah but the payment heck no. Lol Kawasaki hit it out of the park with the New Tyrex4's

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. It sounds like it would be on the right track for what we need.

I figured no matter whichway I went there will be some modifications to make it fit what we need better.

does anyone haul dogs in there’s? I’m sure something will need to be dreamed up for them in the back. Maybe a easily removable plywood platform or maybe just seat covers of some sort? I’m sure with the extra seating it would work.

if I get the chance I really want to check one out. There is a 2019 with 1000 miles on it for $15000. But untill I either sell or trade my current one there isn’t a lot I can do about it.

my step dad had a brute force 4 wheeler back Around 2007 and that was an animal it was tons of fun.

·
Premium Member
2011 Teryx Camo, Muzzy exhaust, MSD controller, Pro Armor doors, Method beadlocks and Tensor tires
948 Posts
"does anyone haul dogs in there’s? I’m sure something will need to be dreamed up for them in the back. Maybe a easily removable plywood platform or maybe just seat covers of some sort? I’m sure with the extra seating it would work."

It would be as easy as unbolting the back seats and using the same attachment points for your platform. As far as a Park position for the transmission, putting a vehicle in the Park position on a steep incline without using a parking brake can bind up the transmission so you can't get it back out of park. I saw that happen in Moab on several occasions on Poo Poos!

Mike

·
TOTM Winner May 2022
79 Posts
I have a bloodhound that mainly sits on the floor board in the back. He loves it. Sometimes he will sit on the seat but he likes it more on the floor. I think he feels safe down there

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
860 Posts
I went from a 2008 50” rzr to a 2020 Teryx4. It didn’t take long to get used to the extra size. It’s got more than enough power for what we use it for. Its governed at 50mph but I don’t go that fast with the kids anyways.

The teryx is obviously bigger and less agile than a 50” machine but so far I only came across two trails that the width made things hairy(riding along a narrow shelf trails). But the commander and maverick x3 had more troubles.

I added a 2” bracket lift and that helped suck the wheels in a little. It also made it slightly more tippy but I’ve never come close to tipping it. Except for a couple times…it’s fine, I have no plans to change it.

I was gonna use 2 50” rzrs before buying the teryx. The plan was to have the wife drive one and our three kids can be split up between the two with the youngest still fitting in a bump seat. She wasn’t fond of driving her own machine so that made the decision to buy a 4 seater easier.

I was gonna buy used but prices were and still are stupid high so I just bought new for a couple grand more.
Really, the only things I dislike about the Teryx are the noise. It can be a pita to have a conversation at times. But that can be a good thing too….
A little more power would be nice but more power typically means more money.
I’m happy with my purchase, though I still haven’t used it once this year! It’s the most expensive thing with wheels that I have bought before. My daily commuter is a $1000 3cylinder Mitsubishi with 190k miles lol.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I’m happy with my purchase, though I still haven’t used it once this year! It’s the most expensive thing with wheels that I have bought before. My daily commuter is a $1000 3cylinder Mitsubishi with 190k miles lol.
Well, a man has got to have his priorities!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
we just got back from a camping trip and we had the exact same issue weve been having. we take two vehicles to take the camper and wild cat and then its just difficult to go for a ride. we did get to go on a short quick ride while my parents tended the dogs but it would have been nice to have more freedom to just go.... after all this is america.

that being said my wild cat is officially for sale. I listed it at $10000 thinking id start really high but there is someone already asking about it....

I have been searching used and new and as someone mentioned earlier unless I found a really good deal on a used one I can spend a couple grand more and get a new one....

I added a 2” bracket lift and that helped suck the wheels in a little. It also made it slightly more tippy but I’ve never come close to tipping it. Except for a couple times…it’s fine, I have no plans to change it.
maybe I missed it was yours the non s model or the s model? do you happen to know your total width now?

I also measured my trailer and I think it will still fit it will just have to sit back a little further on the trailer because its the shape of a boat trailer and the rail gets narrower in the front. but the whole trailers been a project so Im sure I can make that work.

·
July 2022 TOTM Winner
2022 Teryx SLE
193 Posts
we just got back from a camping trip and we had the exact same issue weve been having. we take two vehicles to take the camper and wild cat and then its just difficult to go for a ride. we did get to go on a short quick ride while my parents tended the dogs but it would have been nice to have more freedom to just go.... after all this is america.

that being said my wild cat is officially for sale. I listed it at $10000 thinking id start really high but there is someone already asking about it....

I have been searching used and new and as someone mentioned earlier unless I found a really good deal on a used one I can spend a couple grand more and get a new one....

maybe I missed it was yours the non s model or the s model? do you happen to know your total width now?

I also measured my trailer and I think it will still fit it will just have to sit back a little further on the trailer because its the shape of a boat trailer and the rail gets narrower in the front. but the whole trailers been a project so Im sure I can make that work.
I also started out with a boat trailer, and had to extend the bed forward because it swayed badly with the weight too far back when loaded. Ended up extending it 4’ forward on the frame. Most people can’t tell it was ever a boat trailer.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
595 Posts
If you have the option, I would get an S model over the standard model, but either way they are still very nice machines. There are many people that make a dog shelf in the back, generally you just pop off the seat bottoms (no tools required) and build a platform that rests on the seat frames and floor. Google it and you will find some ideas. I also use mine for hunting quite a bit, and I like how it allows me to haul things as well, not as much as a pure utility machine, but way more than a sport type model. I am usually hunting and preparing for hunting by myself or with just my son, so the backseat area is used for storage/hauling as well as the bed so there is plenty of room. I use a slide in hitch rack with a 2" riser for hauling game out, it's way easier than trying to get a critter loaded in the bed or the back of a pickup.
Here is a picture of mine all loaded up at bear camp. I was carrying my spare tire in the back seat and I had about a 20-25 mile ride on the trails to get to my stand location(s) so I would haul my bow in the case in the backseat as well. And you can see the rear rack folded up in case I needed it.
Wheel Tire Plant Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I built my first Teryx hauler out of an old pop-camper frame. :sneaky: The Teryx also makes a great snow plow machine in the winter!

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
860 Posts

I did the same thing when I sold my machines. I asked almost double what I really wanted and I sold them both within days. I paid $10k for my rzr in 2010 and sold it 10 years later for $6,000iirc(cad). I was totally honest and told the guy that it burnt oil and most of the a-arm bushings were worn out. It's hard to find new machines and used ones are often snapped up fast apparently.

Mine is a regular width 2020 non-S model. They came out with the S model in 2021 I believe. I'll try to remember to measure it when I get home tonight. The front track width is narrower than the rear for sure.

Height is another thing to keep in mind. Mine just clears my 7' garage door at home and is a tight squeeze into our older toy hauler with 2 drop down rear bunks. But it fits. No 6" lifts or 30" tires for me unless I come up with a new setup like a ghetto toterhome.

Reactions: 303hunter
1 - 20 of 36 Posts