Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

Would you buy new or used?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm looking at purchasing a side by side. I'm strongly considering the Teryx 4 LE. I can get a new 2021 model for $15,800 plus tax (8.75%!), or a used 2018 with 550 miles on it, for $13k (or less!), and no tax.

Obviously, the 2018 model won't have a warranty, but my research shows these are pretty stout, so maybe that isn't an issue?

I have been unable to find the differences between the model years. Are there many differences or improvements?

Since we all love spending other people's money, which would you buy?

·
Administrator
4,271 Posts
Welcome. That's a substantial difference in price, once you factor in the ridiculous tax. Almost $4,200 more for the '21 model, if my math is correct. Have to watch for other fees they try to sneak in as well. What kind of accessories does the 2018 have?

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,480 Posts
I have been unable to find the differences between the model years. Are there many differences or improvements?
I have a 2016. My friend just bought the exact bike as a 2020(1?) model. In 2016, the "colored" bikes were painted in automotive paint. His new 2020 is molded in the color. I had to do the fuel vent mod, he has the "50 state" canister under his passenger seat so presumably doesn't need to do the mod.

Other than that, I can find no differences in the bikes. 2016 was the first year of the current body style.

as for the vote, I vote NEW! Mainly because of the warranty and the lack of abuse. Yeah, they tell you "Only used around the house, never seen mud" but you just never know. The only way to be sure of the history is to get one new.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
379 Posts
Sounds like a good deal on that used machine, if you add all of the accessories into the lower price the savings are substantial. The out the door price on the new one may be even more if they also add in fees like freight, destination, etc. There are no differences between the 2018 and the regular 21. BUT... if it's your money and not mine, right now I would get a 2021 T4 S LE model. It's the new version with upgraded suspension, and the msrp is said to be only like $500 more than the regular LE. Even if it was $1500 more you get a lot for the money with upgraded shocks, control arms, etc. It remains to be seen how the valving is on these new shocks but the front one in the S are quite a bit bigger than the regular version and they have longer travel which should make for a nicer ride.

Reactions: Navistar82

·
Oct 2020 & February 2021 TOTM Winner
2020 Teryx 4 SE, SATV arched a-arms, Hester Edition Stage 3/4 Elkas, 30" Terrabites, Teton Beadlocks
55 Posts
Personally, unless it was grandma using it to go to the grocery store and back, I would never buy a SxS used. They just get abused too much

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am in the exact same boat as you, my friend! Looking at a new Teryx4 S model, but the prices right now are just STUPID! Dealerships are raising their prices because they can. Supply & Demand is completely in their favor right now. Used ones are also higher price, but if you can find one that is accessorized and in good shape you better act fast because it won’t be available long!

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,480 Posts
If your dealer is jacking up prices simply because they can, then you need to find another dealer! I went to the state next door and not only found a dealer that doesn't mark up their prices, but because I was "out of state" I didn't even have to pay sales tax. I wound up saving over $2500 by making a 3 hour drive. Also, keep in mind, all dealers receive their new bikes in crates. Why couldn't they just ship it to you and let YOU put it together? (if you were so inclined)

·
Registered
34 Posts
If your dealer is jacking up prices simply because they can, then you need to find another dealer! I went to the state next door and not only found a dealer that doesn't mark up their prices, but because I was "out of state" I didn't even have to pay sales tax. I wound up saving over $2500 by making a 3 hour drive. Also, keep in mind, all dealers receive their new bikes in crates. Why couldn't they just ship it to you and let YOU put it together? (if you were so inclined)
I agree with you 100%! Here in Oregon all dealers seem to be following one another down this road and it is annoying for sure.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
379 Posts
I am in the exact same boat as you, my friend! Looking at a new Teryx4 S model, but the prices right now are just STUPID! Dealerships are raising their prices because they can. Supply & Demand is completely in their favor right now. Used ones are also higher price, but if you can find one that is accessorized and in good shape you better act fast because it won’t be available long!
It does seem to be getting out of hand. I understand how supply and demand works, and that dealerships need to make money too, but lets keep it reasonable. One of the main factors that lead me to the Teryx4 was the price point. If a T4 was pushing close to that $20k mark a year ago, I would have went with the Honda Talon 4 for the type of riding I like to do. Actually, if that was the case I would probably either be divorced or still be dreaming of owning a sxs... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ya, my local dealer in Indiana is gouging the Yamaha prices by $2000. I was back and forth between the T4 and X4 for a bit and checking prices. They were asking $2000 over MSRP on every unit. But, according to the salesman, Yamaha has shut down production on SXS's for the rest of the year because they cant get parts to build the Rmax's and 850 Wolverines. He had one of each on the floor and said it'll be the last ones they'll have all year. I find that hard to believe but who knows right now. So far, Kawasaki prices have been real close from 3 dealers around me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ya, my local dealer in Indiana is gouging the Yamaha prices by $2000. I was back and forth between the T4 and X4 for a bit and checking prices. They were asking $2000 over MSRP on every unit. But, according to the salesman, Yamaha has shut down production on SXS's for the rest of the year because they cant get parts to build the Rmax's and 850 Wolverines. He had one of each on the floor and said it'll be the last ones they'll have all year. I find that hard to believe but who knows right now...
Wow, that seems weird! I know my local dealerships in OR are having a rough time getting them though. If nobody can get Wolverine X4’s then it’ll be an easy decision for me!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my first t4 used last March 2018 LE with front and rear arched a arms and windshield. It had 1000mi on it gave 11700 otd door from the dealer in Poteau Ok. It’s been a great machine, under powered and overbuilt so it’s not gonna break. Chopped cage rzr 29” take off tires and radio now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all. I'm looking at purchasing a side by side. I'm strongly considering the Teryx 4 LE. I can get a new 2021 model for $15,800 plus tax (8.75%!), or a used 2018 with 550 miles on it, for $13k (or less!), and no tax.

Obviously, the 2018 model won't have a warranty, but my research shows these are pretty stout, so maybe that isn't an issue?

I've had a TERYX for over a year now. I came across a good deal on it being used. I am happy with because I did not do any comparison shopping. Long story short.....look at Polaris. Just try to change the battery in a Teryx as I did. Then change one out in a Polaris. Just the beginning. Just FYI.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had a TERYX for over a year now. I came across a good deal on it being used. I am happy with because I did not do any comparison shopping. Long story short.....look at Polaris. Just try to change the battery in a Teryx as I did. Then change one out in a Polaris. Just the beginning. Just FYI.
So, are you happy with your Teryx or not? Your post is a little unclear

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Teryx4 LE
9 Posts

Hey not sure where you are from but here in SE IL you can get the 2021 LE for 13,900. I got screwed and bought mine on a whim a few months ago and paid 16,900 over 19 out the door after taxes and fees. Shortly after this other local dealer started posting them for 13,900. Good luck

1 - 20 of 56 Posts