Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

Would you buy new or used?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,480 Posts
I've had a TERYX for over a year now. I came across a good deal on it being used. I am happy with because I did not do any comparison shopping. Long story short.....look at Polaris. Just try to change the battery in a Teryx as I did. Then change one out in a Polaris. Just the beginning. Just FYI.
It's also easy to change axles and belts on a Polaris, when they aren't catching fire, and if you own one, you will get really good at changing them too! I hate riding with Polaris riders! Not because they leave me behind, but because I'm always the one that gets stuck dragging them back home every time they want to try and climb "Broke Bike Mountain"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all. I'm looking at purchasing a side by side. I'm strongly considering the Teryx 4 LE. I can get a new 2021 model for $15,800 plus tax (8.75%!), or a used 2018 with 550 miles on it, for $13k (or less!), and no tax.

Obviously, the 2018 model won't have a warranty, but my research shows these are pretty stout, so maybe that isn't an issue?

I have been unable to find the differences between the model years. Are there many differences or improvements?

Since we all love spending other people's money, which would you buy?
I talked to a dealer and asked if i purchased a used one if they could sell me an extended warranty. They told me after a 150 service check and as long as the bike was clean he could

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I'm looking at purchasing a side by side. I'm strongly considering the Teryx 4 LE. I can get a new 2021 model for $15,800 plus tax (8.75%!), or a used 2018 with 550 miles on it, for $13k (or less!), and no tax.

Obviously, the 2018 model won't have a warranty, but my research shows these are pretty stout, so maybe that isn't an issue?

I have been unable to find the differences between the model years. Are there many differences or improvements?

Buy the 2018

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
379 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. No, I am not happy with it. If I had it to do over again I would get a Polaris. I have since studied other brands too, and Polaris is next on my list.
They all have their pros and cons these days. You just have to weigh them all and decide what is best for the riding that you do. Yeah, the Teryx can have it's challenges with accessibility being a mid engine machine, but it is well known to be one of the most dependable machines on the market (which is why you see so many rental places run them). The belt is a real pain to get too as well, but the Teryx doesn't seem to have the belt issues that other machines have. Probably due in some part to the lack of power, but durability is a positive trade off for me. I don't know about the Generals or Rangers, but I have seen a fair number of RZR's blow belts and axels out on the trail, I'm not sure if it's rider error or the machine, but they do seem to go through those parts. They are pretty easy to change on a RZR though, assuming you have the spare parts with you on the trail. I really think the brand loyalty wars are stupid these days as all of the new machines are built well, just designed for different things. If I have a next machine it will be a Honda Talon 4, mostly because I want a sport machine and all my riding buddies run Talons so I need one to keep up, lol.

Reactions: Haywire

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hear what you’re saying. You can find a negative to any one of these machines if you look hard enough. For me, the thing I am having a hard time getting pst is the Teryx heat & noise issues. Not to mention they are hard to work on if you are not very mechanical. I don’t know why, but I am kinda drawn to the Mule FXT Pro. I watched a build on YouTube from Hester’s and it looks awesome! The 2021’s top speed is increased to 50 and it can haul 6 which would be a huge hit at camp. I k ow it is made for utility, but I don’t do a bunch of extreme riding anyway.

·
TOTM Winner Sep '21
750 Posts
I hear what you’re saying. You can find a negative to any one of these machines if you look hard enough. For me, the thing I am having a hard time getting pst is the Teryx heat & noise issues. Not to mention they are hard to work on if you are not very mechanical. I don’t know why, but I am kinda drawn to the Mule FXT Pro. I watched a build on YouTube from Hester’s and it looks awesome! The 2021’s top speed is increased to 50 and it can haul 6 which would be a huge hit at camp. I k ow it is made for utility, but I don’t do a bunch of extreme riding anyway.
Not trying to talk ya out of your interest in the Mule, but I gotta tell ya that the things you are worried about with the Teryx really are not issues you need to worry about.

Noise is loud at high RPM (so is any other SxS) but at the speed you'll be driving around at on trails and dirt roads you can still talk to the person sitting next to you.

Here in Central Oregon I do not find the issue with engine heat a problem at all. During the Summer we run with no windshield and the cab stays nice and cool plus the cab stays clean of dust (opposite with windshield). During the Winter when we have snow or damp conditions we run a windshield to keep the icy wind off of us and the motor heat is welcome.

As for working on the engine, clutch, belt, etc., you won't need to very often because it won't break-down. Just change the oil & oil filter, blow out the air filter with an air hose once in a while, check tire pressure, and just drive it! It's really that simple.

Have you had the chance to drive a Teryx? If not, you would be welcome to come to my place and I'll let ya drive ours so you know first hand if ya like it, or not.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Im thinking about buying a used Teryx4 if the price is right. Currently have a 2010 Teryx I converted with bench in the bed for my kids. Would be nice to fit adults in the back and carry 5 total people with Teryx4. The noise doesn't bother me and the reliability is important to me. Anyone have some for sale with a few hundred miles of Southern Ca?

·
Registered
2 Posts

With new, Kawasaki is offering a year of 0% interest. You would want to refinance after that as their interest jumps up.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Hey, Sorry for the long delay. No, I'm not really happy with the Teryx. I believe if I had it to do over again I would go with Polaris.
LOTS of people go with Polaris. And LOTS of people HATE Polaris. LOL
For me, my riding takes me way back in the way back and getting tools or a tow can be a significant pain. Not always of course, but the threat is there. For that, I wanted the best reliability and that meant Teryx. If you don't go far and want to have maximum fun (and have deeper pockets than I have) then a Polaris might be just the ticket for you.

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021 TOTM Winner
2020 Teryx4 LE
648 Posts
Yeah, this is the third time you posted the same thing. Actually, the only 3 posts you've made on this forum is you complaining and they're all on this one thread...You complained about how it's difficult to change a battery on a teryx that you bought used. I'd hate to see the complaining about changing a belt.

I made the mistake of buying a Polaris, so did a bunch of friends. If you do get a Polaris do yourself a favor and get the extra extended warranty. Maybe the battery is easier to change and they go faster but I got tired of fixing mine more than I'd use it.

After a year of owning my Teryx that I bought new last June I've only had a couple upper a arm bushing wear out, likely caused by a 2" lift kit and my driving. That's after 850 miles. In my rzr I would have had to replace brake pads all around, wheel bearings, ball joints, all the control arm bushings and who knows what else. With all the money I saved not buying and maintaining a Polaris I was able to buy a ton of extra crap for the Teryx. I'm not loyal to any brand but I'd have to have way more money and time to blow before buying another polaris.

Reactions: Haywire

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
4000 miles or so on my bike. 2016 T2. Repairs so far:

1) 1 Belt changed - Did this when I put in a clutch kit for bigger tires, didn't need it at the time, but figured why not?
2) 1 set of front brake pads
3) 2 pair of upper control arm bushings (uppers on both sides front)
4) 1 battery
5) 1 wheel bearing (likely caused by wheel spacers)
6) A half dozen or so oil and filter changes

Note: I have never had to be towed back to camp or perform an on-trail repair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion. I respect and appreciate everyone's comments. I learn something from each. I will not be trading off or selling anytime soon as I was fortunate to have bought this side by side at a great price, and others are quite expensive. Perhaps a Polaris would be a mistake. I am learning that each have good and bad depending on the operator, the use and the machine. If I have offended anyone, sorry about that. Just stating my opinion of what I think may be best for my use.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
No offense taken here, not by me anyway. Each person has thier own preferences. Obviously those of us on a Teryx forum are going to favor the Kawasaki. Go to a Poloris forum and I am sure they would be just as in favor of thier brand as we are of ours.

Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you for understanding. I suppose having to make a few frustrating repairs when I first got this machine left a bad taste in my mouth (so to speak). As "ANDY" of Canada; noted all I have done was complain. I have to admit, it has not left me broke down on any rides thus far. Even though the "check engine" light remains on and the 4WD is locked in 4WD it is still running right along. (I have tried numerous fixes found elsewhere on this forum for these). My buddy that has a Polaris (also a used machine) had the roof of his enclosed cab blow off while transporting to a ride. Neither of us ever thought of such a thing happening. Even though mine just has the plastic roof - non enclosed cab type - I now put a strap across it just in case. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experiences so old guys like me learn something new.

·
Registered
2017 Teryx4
393 Posts
Well, there you go... The Polaris lost a roof!!! :ROFLMAO: Perspective. Nothing used is going to be perfect. Now you've got ammo on your buddy. There's a running joke there somewhere. Enjoy it.

If I might add, I'm a Ford guy but if I based the quality of Ford on the used Explorer I recently bought, and all the little gremlins that came with it along with the added expense I have, I would not think as highly of Ford. If we only knew the way the previous owners treated/mistreated these units...:mad: I hope you get your gremlins figured out and enjoy your Teryx more.

BTW, you do carry a tow strap with your buddy's name on it, don't you?:LOL::ROFLMAO:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts