Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

Would you buy new or used?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, there you go... The Polaris lost a roof!!! :ROFLMAO: Perspective. Nothing used is going to be perfect. Now you've got ammo on your buddy. There's a running joke there somewhere. Enjoy it.

If I might add, I'm a Ford guy but if I based the quality of Ford on the used Explorer I recently bought, and all the little gremlins that came with it along with the added expense I have, I would not think as highly of Ford. If we only knew the way the previous owners treated/mistreated these units...:mad: I hope you get your gremlins figured out and enjoy your Teryx more.

BTW, you do carry a tow strap with your buddy's name on it, don't you?:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Oh believe it...I am reminding him in so many times and ways; "Do you have your strap on?"

We went for a little ride yesterday on some private property I have permission to use. There are no established trails from ATV's, but a few heavily trafficked deer trails that keep the undergrowth cleared and a well defined path. While traveling up the hillside with he following me with a rather deep ditch to the right and a steep 20' embankment to the left; he slipped off the edge to the left with his left side wheels; getting stuck; sitting on the frame . While it was too steep for me to pull him up off the edge; I did have some tow straps and ratchets I was able to keep his machine form going over the edge with the help of some trees to tie onto. Then using his winch we got it back up on solid ground. So, new "ammo" of at least helping by the Teryx having supplies on board. His name isn't on it yet; but I have some nice markers which will literally add his name and Polaris well marked for all to see. This has helped improve my Teryx appreciation with being able to fit in places he could not due to his Polaris being wider than Teryx. More enjoyment from Teryx now.

Hey hello Ford guy. I have a 2017 F250 Lariat 4WD club cab 6.7 diesel I bought used. I have only bought one new vehicle in my life, and after that new one swore I would never do so again with the loss of value so fast and payments so long. 48 months long; those 40+ years ago. I have owned many different brands of used trucks and cars over the years and had to work out bugs in all of them. I am not sure why I expected the Teryx to be different, but I am coming around to I have to do the same with it and work out the bugs. Thanks to y'all for bringing me back to reality.

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021 TOTM Winner
2020 Teryx4 LE
648 Posts
I feel your frustration!

The Teryx is the only thing I ever bought new. I bought my 08 rzr used in 2010 with 600kms on it. The front diff blew up after the second ride and most of the a arm bushings were thrashed to. Basically had to go through the suspension every 3-6 months and replace everything. Both front hubs sheared right off one time. The belt housing is plastic and the backing plate came unsealed from the engine causing it to be parked for one trip. Had a bunch of other problems, the worst was burning a quart of oil every ride. I realized this in the mountains 2hrs from camp, flew through a patch of muskeg and it started ticking at the other end. Shut it down and there was oil on the stick. 4hrs later I got it filled it up and carried extra oil from then on. Stop for oil and check the fuel. It was a fun machine but it needed so much work all the time to keep the wheels from falling off it.

Some friends of mine had/have Polaris quads and are in the same boat. They're slowly moving into different brands one by one. Some things are easier to work on than others. Some quads(850 and 1000's) are a pita to get to the belt.

My rzr(800) wasn't much easier than my Teryx other than the fact that I didn't have to pull the fuel tank. The belt sat sideways behind the seats. The newer 900 and 1000 polaris looks easier to replace but that's probably because you will have to replace a belt far sooner on one of those machines than on a Teryx. More power usually means more wear/breakage in my experience unless everything is overbuilt from the start.

I've had a half dozen quads all bought used with various gremlins and even ended up with one that turned out to be stolen. I've had a ton of vehicles that ended up needing work shortly after buying them. My dodge diesel needed injectors a month after I bought it. Stupid me forgot to bring a scanner when I looked at it, and didn't test drive it long enough for that to be evident....
I didn't want to buy someone else's headaches this time and for the prices people were asking for used ones last year(and this year) it didn't make sense to not buy new for me.

It's hard to find something used that isn't gonna have some problems. I just bought a used toy hauler and the furnace doesn't work properly. Seller played dumb but gave me some cash back to fix it at least.

Maybe start a thread with your problems you are having? Someone could probably help you out. I don't know how you find out why the check engine light is on? Are you saying you can't shift your teryx out of 4wd too?

Must need a fuel pump its a super common if you didn't do the vent mod(Jk) :LOL:

Reactions: Haywire

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,480 Posts
I agree about the Polaris. I've had several friends with them and all of them have the same complaint: Great power and ride comfort, but DANG! They need constant care!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feel your frustration!

The Teryx is the only thing I ever bought new. I bought my 08 rzr used in 2010 with 600kms on it. The front diff blew up after the second ride and most of the a arm bushings were thrashed to. Basically had to go through the suspension every 3-6 months and replace everything. Both front hubs sheared right off one time. The belt housing is plastic and the backing plate came unsealed from the engine causing it to be parked for one trip. Had a bunch of other problems, the worst was burning a quart of oil every ride. I realized this in the mountains 2hrs from camp, flew through a patch of muskeg and it started ticking at the other end. Shut it down and there was oil on the stick. 4hrs later I got it filled it up and carried extra oil from then on. Stop for oil and check the fuel. It was a fun machine but it needed so much work all the time to keep the wheels from falling off it.

Some friends of mine had/have Polaris quads and are in the same boat. They're slowly moving into different brands one by one. Some things are easier to work on than others. Some quads(850 and 1000's) are a pita to get to the belt.

My rzr(800) wasn't much easier than my Teryx other than the fact that I didn't have to pull the fuel tank. The belt sat sideways behind the seats. The newer 900 and 1000 polaris looks easier to replace but that's probably because you will have to replace a belt far sooner on one of those machines than on a Teryx. More power usually means more wear/breakage in my experience unless everything is overbuilt from the start.

I've had a half dozen quads all bought used with various gremlins and even ended up with one that turned out to be stolen. I've had a ton of vehicles that ended up needing work shortly after buying them. My dodge diesel needed injectors a month after I bought it. Stupid me forgot to bring a scanner when I looked at it, and didn't test drive it long enough for that to be evident....
I didn't want to buy someone else's headaches this time and for the prices people were asking for used ones last year(and this year) it didn't make sense to not buy new for me.

It's hard to find something used that isn't gonna have some problems. I just bought a used toy hauler and the furnace doesn't work properly. Seller played dumb but gave me some cash back to fix it at least.

Maybe start a thread with your problems you are having? Someone could probably help you out. I don't know how you find out why the check engine light is on? Are you saying you can't shift your teryx out of 4wd too?

Must need a fuel pump its a super common if you didn't do the vent mod(Jk) :LOL:
Yes sir, all quite true with used vehicles of all kinds. Yes, the 4WD is stuck in 4WD and the check engine light on. I have tried numerous remedies for both which I have found elsewhere on the Teryx forum/website. So far, none have worked. I'll keep looking as it is hard to find a Teryx dealer anywhere reasonably close to me.

No I haven't done the fuel pump vent mod. Not sure if it was done by the prior owner. Fuel flow and power all seem to be working fine. Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Teryx4
393 Posts
Speaking of the unit not coming out of 4 wheel drive, I have had that issue happen a few times but it was temporary. It even happened this weekend. I will turn the dash switch back to 2wd but then notice I am still in 4x4. On the display, the indicator toggles back and forth between 2wd & 4wd. So far, the solution has been to stop, shut down and then start it back up. It has gone back to 2wd everytime. My guess would be a wet solenoid. You may simply have a bad solenoid or your not getting connection.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Speaking of the unit not coming out of 4 wheel drive, I have had that issue happen a few times but it was temporary. It even happened this weekend. I will turn the dash switch back to 2wd but then notice I am still in 4x4. On the display, the indicator toggles back and forth between 2wd & 4wd. So far, the solution has been to stop, shut down and then start it back up. It has gone back to 2wd everytime. My guess would be a wet solenoid. You may simply have a bad solenoid or your not getting connection.
Thank you very much Haywire. I have tried that and it still stays stuck on 4WD. I try locating the solenoid; thank you. Another suggestion was the 4WD actuation switch. Apparently they have a tendency to leak also, and my grandson just loves mud puddles! LOL!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think when I do find the 4WD actuation switch and the solenoid I will get new ones. Install them and spray them FLEX SEAL the amazing waterproofing paint, spray, caulk as seen on tv !!! LOL !

·
Registered
31 Posts
So sorry for the late reply on this if anybody is still keeping up with this old thread. Anyway, I finally got the 4wd un-stuck. I took the battery connections loose, and most of the rest of the electrical connections, and cleaned them; reassembled and worked again! Yeah, dumb ole hillbilly gets lucky once in a while. Otherwise, in the meantime; my friend who owns a Polaris grandpa model and I have been riding the Hatfield/McCoy trails in WV. Great fun! Well marked! Access is great from neighboring towns and WV lets you ride your machine on the road without tags, etc. So far my buddy has done ok with his Polaris. It's really funny though. Whenever we stop on the trail, people passing by us ask if he is ok. They don't ask me, just him. LOL. I told him I was going to paint Grandpas 4wd on it, but I don't have too. Everybody already sees that. LOL. we're both same age and he looks younger, but his machine don't.
I have to say, I have been impressed with my old Teryx and it's performance. I look forward to doing more trails soon.
Thanks to everyone for looking, offering advice and help. I really enjoy reading the forum. Just wish I had more time for it.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Otherwise, in the meantime; my friend who owns a Polaris grandpa model and I have been riding the Hatfield/McCoy trails in WV. Great fun! Well marked! Access is great from neighboring towns and WV lets you ride your machine on the road without tags, etc.
The Hatfield and McCoy trails are the go-to spot for the East Coast. Yes, there are many other places to ride, but H&M is the bucket list ride for many people. I go to the area 10 or 12 times a year but I don't ride H&M much these days as I spend most of my time on the "Outlaws", which are basically all the trails in the same area that are not maintained. You've seen the trail markers that says "Do Not Enter - Not part of the trial"? Yeah, those are "outlaw" trails, but there are many-many more. Do not adventure here without a good GPS and some maps. But these are the trails where all the other great locations you've heard about but haven't been too are at. Places like, Flag Rock, Wilmore Dam, The Rocket Boys, the horses, the tunnels and the tresses, and many other great locations you can't get to on the regulated trails. The people of West Virginia are the best and most welcoming people I know. I am honored to count many of them as my friends and when I retire I plan to become one full time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you so much for the GPS tip. I have just got an app on my phone called " onX Offroad ". It seems to be really good at showing trails, property lines, owners names and such. I haven't down any Outlaw trails....yet. But, know what you are talking about. I want to try out this app on the trails that I know first before venturing off too far. WV is great and the people even better. they are so nice and welcoming. I enjoy the people more than anything else. I look forward to exploring more. I had to stop for a few months. I had a shoulder replacement. It felt so much better. No pain, but it kept popping out of joint. Some screws came loose and a part split. So, back in to replace it with a new heavy duty model which feels great. Just now getting out of a sling, so hopefully back in the action soon. Getting old ain't for wimps. LOL ! Maybe one day we'll run into each other on the trails. Be careful and take care!

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Thank you so much for the GPS tip. I have just got an app on my phone called " onX Offroad ". Getting old ain't for wimps. LOL ! Maybe one day we'll run into each other on the trails. Be careful and take care!
I've wondered about OnX Offroad and have thought about giving it a try. I use BackCountry Navigator loaded with Bob-T's maps. They are a great starter pack, but I add my own all the time (thats what happens when you make a wrong turn! LOL). I got on the senior menu last year myself but a few more years before I retire. Would love to meet you out on the trails so be sure to flag me down if you ever see me. I think I'm the only White Teryx with a fiberglass white roof out there so I should be easy to spot. And hit me up next time your thinking about a trip out there. Chances are good I'll be around.

-Hawk
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Thanks! That sounds great ! It would be a blast to be able to follow a pro around! NICE looking ride there! Mine is a 2014 Camo x2. I'll have to get a pic on here as soon as I can. (as soon as I figure it out LOL)

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Hey Thanks! That sounds great ! It would be a blast to be able to follow a pro around! NICE looking ride there! Mine is a 2014 Camo x2. I'll have to get a pic on here as soon as I can. (as soon as I figure it out LOL)
Adding a pic is as easy as drag and drop. Literally, get the pic in a window you can see while you have your message draft visible and then just drag and drop the pic on the message. Although you might want to use paint to size it down a bit first =)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you very much for the instruction. Let's see how this works. The cat would not be with me on the trails. He rides a short ways as long as I don't go more than 5mph, any more than that and he leaps for the safety of solid ground.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Thank you very much for the instruction. Let's see how this works. The cat would not be with me on the trails. He rides a short ways as long as I don't go more than 5mph, any more than that and he leaps for the safety of solid ground.
Perfect! Nice looking bike! And yeah, I've been known to scare small children with my driving too. :ROFLMAO:

41 - 56 of 56 Posts