Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to go or who to ask with this problem, but I am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I am having problems with my 09 Teryx with an MSD FI controller. Fuel pump won't run and its not the fuel pump. It started out intermittent and now its completely dead. The last time it was driven, it occasionally flashed the belt light and de-rated the power when the belt wasn't slipping making me think I had a speed sensor issue. Sometimes it would fire right up and run fine, other times it wouldn't start because fuel pump wouldn't run. Now I am troubleshooting and here are some of the things I found:

I unhooked MSD Controller and checked my grounds to eliminate any issues there.

Good power to the Fuse block and out to the ECU and Fuel pump when Fuel Pump Relay is jumpered across.

If I jumper across the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump runs. Swapped Relays and no change.

No codes when I try to put it into self diagnose mode by grounding LG/BK wire on diagnostic connector.

With the ignition on, the input voltage to the Vehicle Down Sensor is too low (0.5v), so obviously the output voltage is too low as well.

With ignition switch off, I have 12v to the white wire going into ECU, no voltage on brown wire. With ignition switch on, I have 2v at that white wire and 12v at the brown wire. Service manual says it should be 12v and 12v.

Is this an ECU issue or am I missing something here? Can they be tested? I've heard rumblings out there about the ignition switch having a resistor in it as an anti theft feature??????

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I really am at a loss here without just spending big dollars replacing everything involved with the Fuel Pump, ECU, Ignition Switch, Vehicle Down sensor, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Andy

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection. With no draw you have 12 volts and with a draw you only have 2 volts

Stay on the trails or we will lose them

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
you know more than a kawasaki dealer allready , that being said i would pull and check vds and if you have a buddie swap computer and things till you find it. but if swaping relays didnt do it ? i havnt head or sean anything about a resistor in ingition switch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've checked every connection that I can physically get to. Does any know if the ECU is actually sending 12v to activate the relay or completing the ground to the relay to complete the circuit? The wiring diagram shows power coming from the ignition switch to the coil side of the relay, but I believe the ground for the coil side is the BR/Y wire from the ECU. If this is true, that would explain why I have 12v on three of the wires at the relay except for the W/R wire going to the fuel pump itself. The relay has potential on both sides, but no ground for the coil side to close the contacts for the load side.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am the only one in my area 55336 that I know of that has an 09 Teryx. A few 08's around here, but that doesn't do me any good. It would only take me about 2 minutes to plug my ECU into someone else's Teryx to rule the ECU out. I wouldn't even have to unbolt their ECU, just unplug theirs and plug mine in loose on top. That would avoid putting a good ECU into my Teryx and possibly having 2 issues going on at the same time, or damaging someone else's ECU.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I ground the BR/Y from ECU to Fuel Pump Relay, the fuel pump runs, so the ECU does complete the ground instead supplying power to control the fuel pump. Teryx still doesn't run though. I am suspecting that the ignition or injectors are still disabled.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Kind of sounds like your vehicle sown switch is keeping it from running

Stay on the trails or we will lose them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking the same thing at first, so I decided to try and test the Vehicle Down Sensor (VDS) according to the service manual. I'm not getting any input voltage from the ECM to the VDS let alone any output voltage to compare it to. According to the Service Manual, when I put the computer into its self diagnosis mode, it should tell me the sensor is bad with code 31. I have no codes and I can't tell if I am even successful at putting it into self diagnosis mode. Its pretty frustrating that I can't verify anything that the manual is telling me to check. That is why I am leaning towards the ECM being at fault. Every single wiring diagram has the ECM right smack dab in the middle of it with wires going in, wires going out, and the ECM is the only thing you can't test.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured out the problem. The ECU was not getting a steady 12v to the White wire on terminal 8. With the ignition switch OFF it was 9-12v. With the ignition switch ON it dropped to 2v. After hearing that there have been wiring issues with the Teryx harness, I tracked the power loss to that White wire between the Fuse Block and the ECU.

Luckily, if you look at the wiring diagram, the power from the fuse block goes to the ECU and also to the ignition switch. In the harness, those two wires, which are the same White color with silver dashes, actually run right next to each other for quite some distance. I'm not sure how far, but it is further than I wanted to open up the harness bundle. Instead of replacing the whole wire, I soldered in a jumper wire from one to the other creating a redundant source of 12vdc. Its actually a really easy fix once you know what is going on and where you are looking. I re-wrapped the bundle with self vulcanizing rubber tape and pushed everything back into place.

Hope this helps someone else. Saved me $350 and quite a few hours labor replacing the harness. The dealers are being told to replace the harness and now I can see why. Whatever connection they are using to "Tee" that White wire on the original harness's is failing. I'll follow up with a post after I have run it for a while to verify that there aren't any more problems. Thanks to all that helped, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I figured out the problem. The ECU was not getting a steady 12v to the White wire on terminal 8. With the ignition switch OFF it was 9-12v. With the ignition switch ON it dropped to 2v. After hearing that there have been wiring issues with the Teryx harness, I tracked the power loss to that White wire between the Fuse Block and the ECU.

Luckily, if you look at the wiring diagram, the power from the fuse block goes to the ECU and also to the ignition switch. In the harness, those two wires, which are the same White color with silver dashes, actually run right next to each other for quite some distance. I'm not sure how far, but it is further than I wanted to open up the harness bundle. Instead of replacing the whole wire, I soldered in a jumper wire from one to the other creating a redundant source of 12vdc. Its actually a really easy fix once you know what is going on and where you are looking. I re-wrapped the bundle with self vulcanizing rubber tape and pushed everything back into place.

Hope this helps someone else. Saved me $350 and quite a few hours labor replacing the harness. The dealers are being told to replace the harness and now I can see why. Whatever connection they are using to "Tee" that White wire on the original harness's is failing. I'll follow up with a post after I have run it for a while to verify that there aren't any more problems. Thanks to all that helped, I really appreciate it.
glad to hear you figured it out , like i said before you know more than the dealer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts