Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I really went and did it this time. I way overfilled the thing somehow. I kept checking it as I was adding it and stopped when it was right. I still don't know how I overfilled it.

BUT - it made something in the engine or transmission fail. I was riding it and started hearing some sort or metal tinkling sound. Maybe like a ring broke or something. The odd thing is it sounded as if it is coming from the right side if the motor not from a cylinder.

So were to start tearing into this? Just a note too, the PO put the 840 kit in it, but didn't get something right it was smoking pretty good until it was driven a bit and warmed up. Hence the oil useage.

2011 Teryx with 840 big bore kit, muzzy exhaust, upgraded cams, head machined. That's all I really know about what the PO did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have the motor ready to come out. Just pull the two engine mount bolts.
When I drained the oil, it had antifreeze in it. Now I am really wondering what happened inside this motor.

·
Administrator
4,012 Posts
Antifreeze in the oil is usually caused by a damaged head gasket. Sounds like the PO either knew about it or at best he didn’t know what he was doing when he rebuilt it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that is what I am thinking also. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the engine on the bench and start tearing it down.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wow, that really sucks. At least you found out the problem(s).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Does it for sure have an 840 kit or was the PO full of shart?
Being a cheapass, I'd probably source a cheap used jug and have it bored to the proper size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it does. I thought about a used jug, but it is plated with something. I wonder if my local shop can that sort of thing. I’ll give them a call on Monday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a used head on eBay for $150. Order that and an entire new 840 big bore kit. Gonna do both cylinders. It was smoking out of both exhaust pipes so I figure I will just do a complete top end rebuild. I couldn't really find all the parts individually anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts