Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks like the link still doesn't work- can you re-post the link? Always looking for helpful links!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks Ridefst- that link worked! Somehow when adding a link to a post many letters are deleted and the link doesn't always work. Anyways, this link worked and gave some good info for changing the oil on a Teryx- I wonder if the oil filters are the same for all years? Thanks for the tips-

·
Registered
560 Posts
Just changed my oil and filter today. I used the Kawasaki filter and 10w40 oil. I'm still under warranty so I'll use their stuff till it's done.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Bellski- I think you will get a lot of opinions on this one- it all depends on personal preference! After the initial break-in, I like the synthetic oils like Mobil 1 10w-40 but it costs more. If you follow the Kawasaki recommended oil change intervals I think most oils would work just fine- Castrol GTX exceeds all manufacturers specs. Not sure which year T4 you have but the owners manual is real specific on oil weights, 10-40 being recommended, but it depends on your temperature range in the area you live. 10-40 covers from -10 to +104 degrees. If you have a 2014 T4 refer to page 101 of the owners manual for specifics. I believe in a good quality oil and don't hesitate to change it with the filter, it is the blood of your engine and I want my engine to last a long time!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi Bellski- I think you will get a lot of opinions on this one- it all depends on personal preference! After the initial break-in, I like the synthetic oils like Mobil 1 10w-40 but it costs more. If you follow the Kawasaki recommended oil change intervals I think most oils would work just fine- Castrol GTX exceeds all manufacturers specs. Not sure which year T4 you have but the owners manual is real specific on oil weights, 10-40 being recommended, but it depends on your temperature range in the area you live. 10-40 covers from -10 to +104 degrees. If you have a 2014 T4 refer to page 101 of the owners manual for specifics. I believe in a good quality oil and don't hesitate to change it with the filter, it is the blood of your engine and I want my engine to last a long time!!
I'm sure its in the other thread but the T 4's have a "wet clutch" so there is a specific oil for those ones. Some oils might cause the clutch to slip.

Here's some info for the T4 with the "wet clutch"
JASO[edit]
The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) has created their own set of performance and quality standards for petrol engines of Japanese origin.
For four-stroke gasoline engines, the JASO T904 standard is used, and is particularly relevant to motorcycle engines. The JASO T904-MA and MA2 standards are designed to distinguish oils that are approved for wet clutch use, and the JASO T904-MB standard is not suitable for wet clutch use.
For two-stroke gasoline engines, the JASO M345 (FA, FB, FC) standard is used, and this refers particularly to low ash, lubricity, detergency, low smoke and exhaust blocking.
These standards, especially JASO-MA (for motorcycles) and JASO-FC, are designed to address oil-requirement issues not addressed by the API service categories. One element of the JASO-MA standard is a friction test designed to determine suitability for wet clutch usage.[18][9] An oil that meets JASO-MA is considered appropriate for wet clutch operations. Oils marketed as motorcycle-specific will carry the JASO-MA label.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've always ran Mobil 1 full synthetic in my bikes/quads with a wet clutch.
However, not all weights are the same.
I look on the back for the seal, and avoid any that say "energy conserving" - that text indicates that they've added teflon or moly or something along those lines, which you really don't want on your clutch.
Generally 10w30 is bad, 15w40 is good, but it seems to vary a bit.

·
Registered
487 Posts
According to Kawi manual on the T4 or wet clutch you need to make sure has the rating JASO MA, MA1, MA2 rating. 10W-40 for most conditions. In my 08' T2 I ran Mobil 1 full synthetic.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For the initial oil change after break in. anyone doing anything special? Pouring some oil through to drain and make sure any sediment rinses out? Are there any grease spots under there? Does the drain plug have a crush washer?

Anything to watch out for in a 2013 T4 ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts