Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a video on YouTube about a Teryx owner talking about the dip stick, and it could come unscrewed from the top cap and fall into the engine! He then showed how he unscrew the stick and added a little thread lock and then screwed it back on. He said this should keep it from coming loose.

Has anyone had or heard of this happing?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I saw a video on YouTube about a Teryx owner talking about the dip stick, and it could come unscrewed from the top cap and fall into the engine! He then showed how he unscrew the stick and added a little thread lock and then screwed it back on. He said this should keep it from coming loose.

Has anyone had or heard of this happing?
Yeah !!! The stem screws up in to the threaded part and will vibrate lose. Unscrew it and put a drop or two of red lock tite on threads and put back on. They will fall into your engine !

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Been brought up numerous times on this board and several Facebook groups. I've check my '15 several times and the stem was always tight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah !!! The stem screws up in to the threaded part and will vibrate lose. Unscrew it and put a drop or two of red lock tite on threads and put back on. They will fall into your engine !
Can I use the blue thread lock? I have some already on hand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can use blue, but it is not effective for this purpose.

Blue loctite is more of a thread sealer. It makes bolts come out easier by keeping them from corroding and seizing up.

Red loctite is pretty much glue. You ONLY use it on bolts you never want to take out again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A fastener with blue loctite on it is easier to remove than a fastener with corrosion on it. That is it’s purpose.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I was a Kawasaki Factory Mechanic for 43 years, If I wanted to prevent a fastener from loosening I would use a non-permanent threadlocker, as in Blue Locktite. Fasteners with Blue Locktite applied sometimes require heat to remove. If I wanted to prevent corrosion/seizure, I would use Anti-Seize.

I'm apparently not changing your opinion, and I'm too old to change mine, so the discussion ends here for me.

Mike

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Blue non-permanent threadlocker helps prevent a bolt from loosening, period. Using blue is better than not using anything at all in this case. As already mentioned even blue threadlocker makes a bolt easier to remove than one that is badly rusted.....still harder to remove than a "clean" bolt with no threadlocker, but rust and corrosion is the ultimate threadlocker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts