Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
yes, drain the oil first, then remove the filter! install in reverse order>also pre fill the filter before installing otherwise you will have low oil pressure on startup due to the filter "soaking" up oil

·
Registered
314 Posts
yes, drain the oil first, then remove the filter! install in reverse order>also pre fill the filter before installing otherwise you will have low oil pressure on startup due to the filter "soaking" up oil
The oil filter is mounted horizontally. Just how do you prefill it? Sounds messy to me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
oil change

I assume the 11 is pretty much the same as my 08, so unless you are double jointed you do have pull the skid plate, have seen somewhere, someone cut a trap door into the skid plate.
pre oil the filter: fill it up on the bench, let it sit a minute or so ,refill to about half full then slap it on quickly, can be a tad messy but not too bad.:pint:

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
Okay, anyone know how many quarts the crankcase holds (w/filter)????
little over 2 quarts...keep on screw attached to the metal skid plate and them swing it out of the way. This will give you access to the filter and drain plugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks AZ Amsoil, I put 3 qts in and it's a little over, which is good as I am in the process of a flush-after-submerge :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
purchased a used 2009 teryx with 50 hrs. I have no manual. how to change oil, what type of oil? is it worth to spend the big money to have it done. also, drive train oil. i have no knowledge how to work on this machine

·
Registered
172 Posts
chaning the oil isn't too hard. Just don't run it overfilled!
Remove skidplate to access the drain plug and filter. I actualy put lexan skids on and just drilled a hole where the drain plug is. I also cut my front plastic in half on the passenger side (easier and quicker to work on belt) I do the oil filter from the top, remove the hump, remove half of plastic, change filter from above ( i do take out the two clamps that hold the waterline going to the front to give me a little wiggle room)

·
Work blows, I wanna ride !!
708 Posts
Any tips for changing oil/filter on 2011 Teryx?
Try to drain the oil into a tub or bucket, not the driveway or garage floor.

Seriously tho, I use the drive up ramps to give my belly unobstructed access under the car. Put all 4 tires on ramps, rather than messing around with a floor jack &/or stands.

I picked up a "pliers" type oil filter wrench from Wally-World to remove the old filter, it seems to work best.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine just got it's first oil change today. I'm a big boy and I could fit under it without jacking it. Poor engineering on Kawi's part for having to remove the whole skid to get to the filter. Kind of makes that little removable piece for the drain plug pointless. Seriously considering a relocate and cooler. Filter fills fast after new install, not worth pre-filling. I used filter pliers to remove the old one too. I normally don't run synthetic in my toys because I change the oil far more then required but this baby doesn't breath for shit so I used what my exploder gets and treated it to Rotella T6 5w40 to help prevent breakdown. Filter is a Purolator L14612.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Try to drain the oil into a tub or bucket, not the driveway or garage floor.

Seriously tho, I use the drive up ramps to give my belly unobstructed access under the car. Put all 4 tires on ramps, rather than messing around with a floor jack &/or stands.

I picked up a "pliers" type oil filter wrench from Wally-World to remove the old filter, it seems to work best.
You probably due that to your toy hauler too so you can wax the bottom dont you!!!:eek:k:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use my hoist in the shop fits perfectly and I can pull the skid quickly ,it would suck to have to do it on the ground :(

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
so you dont have to pull the skid just to get to the drain plug right? only the filter?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Just the small portion of the metal skid to get to the plug. To get to the filter you have to remove the large metal skid plate.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Got it done this morning. Air tools = quick oil change. Well, quick skid removals anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts