Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TURBO!
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put my VDI in last week, went out and ran it hard bounced it off the limiter a few times and I started smelling oil. I have duals on it and the front cylinder was blowin smoke like a banshee! Took it apart and saw that the crankcase breather runs almost right into the carbs! I dont think that will be able to stay there if we are going to be running that high of rpm's. Im going to put a little filter on that hose and mount it some where else,see how that works. Anyone else have the same problem??

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
My Brute Force and V-Force used to do that in the back cylinder if I did a long wheelie or when I climbed the steep right-of-ways behind my house. Kawasaki said noting I could do. I can't help you with the front cylinders.

973 Posts
I blew a puff of smoke last weekend when I was at Glamis. We were in a huge bowl, driving sideways for a while and my buddy behind me about shit his pants when it farted the white smoke.

·
Registered
15 Posts
as you increase the revs past the stock limit oil can be pushed up the crankcase breather into the air box. if you are running a VDI or even duals you'll need to put an air/oil seperator inline between the crankcase and airbox. Check out the set up on the chase's(?) 840 in his thread.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Yep, they do that when the RPM gets high. Separate crankcase breather is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
That used to happen on my Brute Force 750. You just drop the oil level to half way on the dip stick and most of the time the problem goes away.

·
TURBO!
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the breather off the air box today just so I could go ride a bit, and it blew ALL the oil out! went from full on the dip stick to nothin! And made a pretty nice mess. Ill have to get on that separate breather asap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will be putting a reclamation tank on my teryx just like I did on the rhino. Rhinos have the same problem but many didn't know why they would go on a trip to the dunes riding for a weekend and burn a half quart of oil. The reclamation tank allows the case to breath and any oil that gets shot out is collected in the tank and goes back down the breather tube. The tank I had was off a honda and the vent tube went in the bottom of the tank and you attach a tube to the nipple that is on the top-side and put a small breather filter on it with an outer wear.

·
Registered
186 Posts
here is the crankcase breather mod. a yfz450 box and hose are used, the hose just happens to be a perfect fit and has a bend in the right place. you will need a brass coupler to extend the hose coming from the crankcase on the teryx, you will also have to remove the rear cylinder and jb weld a brass nipple, then drill a hole though the cylinder. it needs to be placed in that specific spot because the cam chain is rotating cc and acts as a vacume to pull the oil back down. everything fits under the plastic except the small section of hose were it wraps around the carbs and into the cylinder.

·
TURBO!
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I have some work to do..
thanks for the info guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts