Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

OMG, What just happened! Frozen throttle update!!!!!!!!! :)

4K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Rio 
#1 ·
I started my 2016 Teryx, it idled fine but when I put it in gear it wouldnt move and then all off a sudden the rpm's shot straight up over 10,000 rpm-ish !! Shut it off as quick as I could but now it turns over and wont start. So why wouldnt it move then the rpm shot up like that?? I have absolutely no clue as to what just happened!!!

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
When I started it and put it in gear I did give it throttle, after it didnt move I put it back in neutral and thats when the rpm shot up ( probably over 10,000 but only for a few seconds) and so it could be a frozen throttle. Will push it into the garage tomorrow and put the heat on. Not sure why it didnt move when I put it in gear, (only has a couple hundred easy miles on the belt) The fuel pump now sounds strange when it cycles also

#4 · (Edited)
Your engine should be fine. It has a rev limiter to keep the RPMs out of the danger zone. Frozen cable sounds like the problem. I had a frozen (sticky) cable many times on my T4. I couldn't help myself from playing in the snow and usually ended up with a partially stuck throttle cable the next morning. Keep us posted.

#5 ·
Yes I think you and Andy are on to something! I went and had a look after work and saw the cable sticking out ( not retracted) got the wife to help me push and winch it into the garage and put the heat on. Not sure if it is frozen or seized, lol 😳
Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated. Hopefully that is the only issue and nothing else seriously wrong

Attachments

#6 ·
I’ve seen that before! I’d say you figured it out. It’s possible to stretch or even break them, but it’s more likely that yours is just stuck.

#7 ·
I had to replace the cable on my Wildcat 1000 ( sold that and upgraded to this for reliability) is the cable a pain in the a-s to change or not too bad? Even if I lube it and get it freed up I might still change it anyway

#8 ·
Thanks Andy and dlb for your help! You two were spot on! Went back in the garage and the cable was retracted, definitely was frozen stuck!! Sprayed some WD into it and seams to be sliding freely. Dont think I will change it yet. I am definitely relieved it was nothing serious, wuhooo! 😎

#10 ·
Glad you got it figured out.
If you got water in the cable I'd pull it off (or at least one end) and blow it out good(if possible) let it dry out in the heat for a day or two. Otherwise you might have the same problem once it freezes again.

I had that happen a couple times in my rzr in deep snow here and there. Hitting the throttle a few times and it free'd up. Then one trip up to Grand Cache in late fall it froze up again up on a mountain ridge. It was too windy and cold to screw with it up there so had to drive back down full throttle turning the key on and off as needed lol. Sprayed it with lube and thawed it out with lighters, it was fine once we got down into warmer weather. The next day I was hung over and forget about the cable sticking, went to unload it out of the back of the truck to go on one last ride. I blipped the throttle and it went to full send and launched backwards out off the truck..When I got home I ordered a new cable and new underwear.

#11 ·
Glad you got it figured out.
If you got water in the cable I'd pull it off (or at least one end) and blow it out good(if possible) let it dry out in the heat for a day or two. Otherwise you might have the same problem once it freezes again.

I had that happen a couple times in my rzr in deep snow here and there. Hitting the throttle a few times and it free'd up. Then one trip up to Grand Cache in late fall it froze up again up on a mountain ridge. It was too windy and cold to screw with it up there so had to drive back down full throttle turning the key on and off as needed lol. Sprayed it with lube and thawed it out with lighters, it was fine once we got down into warmer weather. The next day I was hung over and forget about the cable sticking, went to unload it out of the back of the truck to go on one last ride. I blipped the throttle and it went to full send and launched backwards out off the truck..When I got home I ordered a new cable and new underwear.
OMG Andy, toooooo funny.....glad no one was hurt or damaged during that episode besides the underwear, lol!! I will leave it in garage for a week or so then stick it back out in the cold. If it freezes again I will just replace the cable, dont want to have to drive home WOT, hahahaha

#12 ·
Just a quick update on the frozen throttle situation. I bought a throttle cable luber and after attaching it to the throttle cable I used the air compressor to blow the water out through the little hole in the luber, I then sprayed the Silicone Blaster stuff into the luber ( two attempts as it has to fit perfect or you make a mess, lol) once attached correctly it took the lube into the cable. My buggy has been out in below freezing temps for awhile now and the throttle is still moving freely

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.