Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Jan & Jun 2021 TOTM Winner
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone do overnight trips with their side by sides? A couple friends and I have a trip coming up next week. Going to spend 3ish or so nights in the mountains trying to get to the end of a trail we attempted last fall.

I'm sure this has been asked or brought up a lot but what kinda gear does everyone pack along for a trip like this?

So far other than the obvious tent, clothes, bedding, food, water and beer....I'm bring along: extra fuel, tools, jack all, spare tire(mounted), come along, extra winch line, winch extension cable, tow strap, axe, shovel, hand saw, chain saw, extra oil,booster cable, booster pack, battery powered pressure washer to clean out rads, small inverter to charge 20v batteries, ratchet straps, rope, shackles,pick axe, a couple planks, and a small bottle jack.

What am I forgetting?

Reactions: Splives

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
On big multi day trips, we try to coordinate as a group so we don't bring redundant items (unless we think we need to), ie don't everyone bring a chainsaw. You probably only need one and they take up valuable space.

Reactions: Andy> and Haywire

·
Registered
2017 Teryx4
364 Posts
What am I forgetting?
As an anal retentive list maker who maintains a master list for almost every activity, I might make a few, perhaps way too obvious, suggestions: fire starter, first aid kit, TP, flashlight, firearm & knife/multi-tool. If you can stash a great many things into a 5 gallon bucket (with lid) then you also have a camp stool. Otherwise, I think you are all set. Enjoy and let us know how it goes. Oh, and remember to note anything that you wish you had on your trip that you didn't take. I might add it to my list... ;)

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
335 Posts
I have a camping kit that is set up for expedition type kayaking trips, so I will just take that gear as it is a pretty compact set-up (since I can live out of my kayak for 7-10 days with it and very different than gear I take if I'm camping out of my truck). It sounds like you have it pretty well covered with the added items needed for a sxs trip. A few of the "luxury items" that I take with me in the backcountry are a sleeping pad, a compact folding chair for sitting around the fire or whatever in the evenings, and a Thermacell if it's mosquito season.
I'm getting my machine ready for a two week bear hunting trip right now, and although I will have a base camp I will be pretty far into the backcountry alone so I am doing the same as you for Teryx preparations. As far as tools and such for a sxs adventure, your list is pretty thorough. All I would add is maybe heavy zip ties, gorilla tape and JB Weld. For spare parts, I like to have spare fuses for everything, a spare belt, and a tie rod since all of those could leave you stranded. For tools, I made this list of everything needed to change a belt in the field, so in addition to standard tools, I make sure all of these items are in there:
  • Towels & brake cleaner
  • Long screwdriver or pry bar to hold clutch when removing nut
  • ½” Battery Impact Gun to remove clutch bolts
  • 2 Spreader bolts for secondary clutch (M8x1.25 x 60mm or 2.5”)
  • RTV in case gasket is damaged when removing in the field.
  • Plyers
  • Phillips Screwdriver
  • Small Flathead
  • Large flathead or tool for rivets
  • Crescent wrench
  • 10 mm wrench
  • 17 mm wrench
  • 8mm socket
  • 10mm socket
  • 12mm socket
  • 14mm socket
  • 17mm socket
  • 22mm socket (secondary clutch)
  • 27mm socket (primary)

·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's only 3 of us going. We find big groups become a pita on longer trips. More people to get stuck/unstuck, some people like to drive considerably faster or slower than others, and more chance of having a breakdown.

I'm fine with having 2 chainsaws. I'm bringing a gas one and buddy is bringing an electric. We'll have more room for stuff this go around. In theory...Last year nobody brought a can opener. I'll add that to the list of things to forget again. And bug spray!

5 gallon pail is a great idea, I have a pile of them with lids in my shop at work.

I was hoping to have a cargo rack above my cargo box by now but nope. Maybe next year.

I don't own a gun. Our gun laws make it a pita to own one. If I did it'd probably be unregistered and therefore illegal. My buddies usually pack something though. You don't have to outrun a grizzly, just don't be the slowest one in the group.

Thanks for the list of tools to change the belt. I gotta remember to bring my impact and battery charger. I carry a spare belt and spreader bolt(s) all the time but never an impact...I don't know if I have a 17mm wrench in my tool bag either? I always have plenty of duct tape, electrical tape and zip ties in my tool bag.

We'll leave Tuesday night after work. Drive 4 hrs and set up a base camp where we leave the trucks then ride out from there Wednesday morning. I tore the ghetto platform I made from my truck after I bought a toy hauler in May so now I have no easy way to move my Teryx around...So now I gotta borrow/rent a trailer.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
335 Posts
I think I copied this from a previous post of yours. A guy could scrounge enough "extra" tools to have a kit for such trips.
yeah, I have it all in a kit that stays in my machine box all the time, except for my impact gun of course.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
335 Posts
battery powered pressure washer to clean out rads,

Hey Andy> what kind of pressure washer do you have, I really need to look in to one of these.

·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A cheapo worx 20 volt one.Looks a lot like this one Amazon.com: WORX WG625 20V Power Share Hydroshot Portable Power Cleaner : Everything Else Mine came with one battery, charger, long wand, adjustable tip, a second shorter wand and a long suction hose with a filter/strainer.
It works pretty good and fits into a relatively small mesh bag. I picked up a spare chinesium off brand battery for cheap too. I bought this one after using a friends to wash out my rad on the trail last summer.

I've got friends who have the dewalt pressure washers, they're pretty bulky in comparison. They probably have a little more pressure and longer battery life but I'm happy with the smaller cheaper worx one. I was able to top off one of the batteries as I rode by using a little inverter plugged into the cig lighter.

I even used my pressure washer to rinse off my stupid long haired dog after he rolled in some random horse shit at camp a few weeks ago. At midnight.

·
August 2021 TOTM Winner
239 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. That power washer idea is great. We've damn near killed a few quads in our day with clogged radiators. So far, the Rex has been fine, but I like the idea a lot. Keep us posted on how the trip turns out.

Reactions: Haywire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone do overnight trips with their side by sides? A couple friends and I have a trip coming up next week. Going to spend 3ish or so nights in the mountains trying to get to the end of a trail we attempted last fall.

I'm sure this has been asked or brought up a lot but what kinda gear does everyone pack along for a trip like this?

So far other than the obvious tent, clothes, bedding, food, water and beer....I'm bring along: extra fuel, tools, jack all, spare tire(mounted), come along, extra winch line, winch extension cable, tow strap, axe, shovel, hand saw, chain saw, extra oil,booster cable, booster pack, battery powered pressure washer to clean out rads, small inverter to charge 20v batteries, ratchet straps, rope, shackles,pick axe, a couple planks, and a small bottle jack.

What am I forgetting?
I think nothing!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you are bringing any thing thar charges via usb, phone, tablet, handheld gps, etc. you might consider a solar phone charger. You can get them for less than $20.00 and they don't take up much room. I realize you have the inverter but this might take an item or two out of the inverter's items to charge list.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All I have that charges via usb is my phone. I've got 2 usb ports in the dash and 2 more in the glove box. If I gotta charge it overnight I've got a decent sized booster pack I can plug into. A solar charger would be more convenient for that though. But I don't expect it to be very sunny for the most part out there.

I'm only using the inverter to charge the batteries for the pressure washer, my impact and maybe a couple walkie talkies.

My one chinese wireless winch controller crapped out last time we were out, I ordered another one with different looking remotes(blue ones). The remote has what looks like a sunvisor clip like a garage door opener. It clips in perfectly into the cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel. I'll post pics another day. The module for it is actually sealed in some kind of epoxy unlike the original one I had that wasn't sealed and probably crapped out after being soaked.

I pulled out the back seats so I have more room. It's gonna be loaded down pretty good.
So far I've got 15 gallons of fuel for me and buddies quad, 7 gallon jug of water, chain saw,2.5Gallon premixed gas, fold up table, table top bbq, jack all, come-along, first aid kit, tool bag and socket set,tent,cot,tarps,air compressor, booster pack,hand full of flashlights(and spare batteries),refillable air horn, spare wheel(27x9x14 bighorn),a couple walkie talkies, 1/2" impact, 12volt jack,shovels, Medium sized cooler. And a bunch of other crap I won't be able to find when I need it.

I borrowed a trailer on Saturday to use on this trip. Did a once over on it last night and found the wheel bearings on one hub were toast and some suspension parts(staps that hold leaf springs to hanger) hanging on by a thread. Gotta fix that tonight and load up. Gonna leave right from work tomorrow. We're trying to get to here. There's supposed to be an old patrol cabin there but no info anywhere online about it.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
335 Posts
. Gonna leave right from work tomorrow. We're trying to get to here. There's supposed to be an old patrol cabin there but no info anywhere online about it.
Sounds like you're about ready to rock, I'm jealous of that terrain you have up there. Can't wait to hear how it goes, take some pictures to share with us!

Reactions: Haywire and Andy>

·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will post pics. It's nice but summer is way too short here!

Hopefully it's not too wet and cold. We're spending tonight in an big outfitter tent at the trucks. Then the next 2-4 nights I'll be in a walmart instant tent lol.
The forecast, which is usually wrong, is calling for below freezing temps for most nights so that'll be fun. Tonight is supposed to be -3C (26F).
At least it won't be hard to keep the beer cold!

I'm gonna put those vetnets to the test. They say not to use them while trailering. I'm gonna leave them on and see what happens. One already is looking pretty ragged from getting stabbed and rubbed against trees. They're also gonna be used to help keep all the gear from falling out on the trail :ROFLMAO:

·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another great trip! I lost 3 center caps. Managed to find one though. I've got a worn out front lower control arm bushing now and pulled the winch cable out of my rear winch. And my front diff got stuck in diff lock one time. No matter what I tried it wouldn't shift out. It was just jammed up. Had to pull the shift motor off and re-install it. Then it was fine after that. So add a 5/16 or 8mm socket and extension to the trail kit.

I had to tow the can am a lot. Buddy broke a rear axle on his machine at the furthest point into the bush, then broke a front one on our way back to the trucks. So he had one wheel drive. It took about 10 hrs to get into the bush camp stopping a lot to take pics and have lunch. It took 16hrs to get back. There were some long long steep greasy hills to climb up. I spun out on a few and had to winch myself and the can am up.

I can't say enough about the voodoo recovery rope I've got. It's probably the best piece of recovery gear I've bought so far. If you don't have some type of kinetic tow rope already, I recommend getting one. And some soft shackles.

The difflock bypass speed bypass also was a good thing to have. But I notice the diff lock light doesn't completely turn off when in just 4wd, it just dims slightly...I'm not sure if it's a sensor,switch or diode issue or if that's just they way they work?
I also had the belt bark when I was stuck. It was like the belt was stuck in the wrong ratio on the clutches. Just shifted it to neutral and reved it up for a second. Then tried again and all was good.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
335 Posts
looks like an epic trip! Did you guys make it to the end of the trail that you were hoping to get to?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts