Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a over heating problem. At first i was just a loose fan breaker connection. Now I am getting a temp warning on digital screen, but the radiator fan is not running, and breaker is not tripped. I noticed the driverside of radiator is cool where temp sensor is, but the passenger side of the radiator is scalding hot, and you can hear water boiling in hose. Does this machine have a thermostat in the motor? It acts like it is not getting through the radiator and back to the motor? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance-
Mudbug_dw

·
Registered
89 Posts
I doubt that there is a thermostat in the engine, but if one side of the radiator is very different in temp from the other I would suspect either there is a clog in the radiator or the engine somewhere that is not letting the colant circulate, or possibly something wrong with the water pump, but still there really should not be a big difference in temp from one side of the radiator to the other.
On another note the fan should be on. Check the fan switch, it is probably mounted on the radiator, if it is on the side that is cooler then that may be why it is not comming on. If not check the fuse and last try and hotwire the fan to make sure the fan itself is working.
To me you have two separate issures, unless the fan sensor is indeed on the cool side of the radator.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Ok I'm not sure but I have all of my plastic off around the motor and there is what looks like a thermostat housing on the top front of the passenger side of the motor. Could be wrong but it sure looks like one.

·
Gumbo
85 Posts
there should be a thermostat to regulate the water temp check the service manual link thats prob part of your problem :smile_popcorn:

·
Registered
89 Posts
even if there is a theremostat on the engine it would not accont for a radiator that is hot on one side and cold on the other side.

I just checked the microfiche on Ronayers, and the Brutte force does have a thermostat so I would presume the teryx does also. If you are worried that the thermostat is not opening, try running with out it and see what happens, if it helps buy a new one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
check the wires going to the temp sending unit at the top left of the radiator. mine were so loose the spade connectors fell off causing the fan not to run which caused it to overheat.

·
Gumbo
85 Posts
my wires were also loose but not on the temp switch they were loose on the fan breaker seems to be a common problem also on the thermostat you can check it by placing it in hot water and it should open at the temp stamped on it :pepper1:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cant explain why the radiator was hot on one side and not the other? I tinkered around warming the motor up and testing the fan and feeling the radiator hoses, and when it warmed up I did feel the thermostat release the water from engine and it warmed on both sides of radiator that time. It hasnt happened again. But,... I have now found the radiator fan temp switch is out. I found in the service manual, that the resistance between the two prongs on temp switch. When switch is in the "fan off" state the resistance between prongs should be 1 meg ohm. In the "fan running" state it should be 0.5 ohms. My switch is open all the time. Bad switch. My fan breaker is also trash. Was going to wire fan into accessory system so it would run as long as key is on, but having trouble with tracing down where power is coming from. Prolly just take to dealer and let them fix right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fan Stuck On

Came Home From A Normal Ride No Water No Mud Just A Cruise And Came Out To A Dead Battery.jumped It With My Truck And Fan Was On Immediately. Tryed Breaker Checked Fluid And All Switches. Dont Know Why Its Still On Anyone Elses Fan Do This?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I fixed the problem temporarily, I replaced the fan breaker with a 15 amp fuseable link, and disconnected the temp sensor on the radiator and ran those two wires into a toggle switch which I mounted by the choke knob. Now when I crank up motor I flip on the fan and run it the whole time. My dealership is three weeks behind on service, so this will work for now...unless the fan motor goes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts