Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on my 2013 Teryx FI 4x4 LE. The knocking sound was loudest on the clutch side, so I removed the cover and shot a video. A knocking or tapping heard best at low throttle. It rides fine, but if anyone has any ideas on what it could be and what to repair before something gets worse, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
remove the clutches and retest for sound maybe your belt has a bad spot maybe your primary is needing a rebuild maybe the primary is full of belt dust causing issues assuming your clutch retaining nuts are tight ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would check/inspect your primary clutch. I would guess the guide buttons on your spider are shot, and would be curious to see what your flyweights look like; may have a different “profile” now due to wear. The bushings in the spider are also a wear item, and unless you use a VForce John kit, will require complete disassembly in order to replace (spider has to be completely replaced). Excess play (out of spec) in these areas would cause rattling like that. Not hard to fix if you have the tools (made my own), but most people send them off for that work. How many miles/hours on that setup?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would check/inspect your primary clutch. I would guess the guide buttons on your spider are shot, and would be curious to see what your flyweights look like; may have a different “profile” now due to wear. The bushings in the spider are also a wear item, and unless you use a VForce John kit, will require complete disassembly in order to replace (spider has to be completely replaced). Excess play (out of spec) in these areas would cause rattling like that. Not hard to fix if you have the tools (made my own), but most people send them off for that work. How many miles/hours on that setup?
I'm currently stopped waiting on a clutch pulling tool. The secondary slides right off, but the primary is stuck on there tight. Once I get the clutch off, I'll start it and make sure it's not the engine, then I'll disassemble the primary and try to answer your questions about what I find.

I did look up some parts at Kawasaki, was shocked to see the small plastic shoes were $12 each and I would need 8 of them. That's crazy. I also need to look into the VForce kit you mentioned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contacted VForce John and was told he's sold out of adjustable weight kits for my machine and he never made anymore. It's still listed on his website, but apparently it's not available.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are Dalton adjustable kits on eBay still. I used one of those when I rebuilt mine, and was happy with the results.

Did you end up spec-ing out your primary to see what was worn?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are Dalton adjustable kits on eBay still. I used one of those when I rebuilt mine, and was happy with the results.

Did you end up spec-ing out your primary to see what was worn?
Not yet, I was almost in the eye of Hurricane Nicholas yesterday and last night. Been to busy storm prepping and cleaning up today. Luckily just a few broken tree branches and no other damage. Got my puller though, so soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, got the engine going without the primary and secondary clutch and still hear a ticking noise. I was able to use a stethoscope and found the ticking sound is loudest on top of the front cylinder, right under the valve cover. The back cylinder sounds fine. Is this valve tapping and will adjusting the valve fix this? Or what else might I need to check?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Helmet

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

1 - 9 of 9 Posts