Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am just about ready to order my 4" portals, but am not sure about the reduction I want. I was set on 15% reduction as I mainly trail ride with portions of hill climbs, rocks climbs, and occasional mud pits. I plan on mounting 32" Frontline ACP tires. I also have a stage 3 FTGU clutch set up and Alba reflash. Don't want to lose too much top end, but also don't want to be disappointed and not be able to turn 32's. Did not install clutch or reflash yet. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Vendor
936 Posts
The 15% with those 32"s will be perfect. That's just about right back to stock. If you ever wanted to go bigger or if you really like playing in deep mud, I'd say go 30%, but for you....you'll love the 15%. It'll be just what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
A 32" tire is about 18% larger than a stock 26"-27" tire, so the 15% reduction doesn't quite put you back to stock gearing and that's without taking into account the increased weight of the larger tires. However I will say that a stock Teryx can pull a larger tire as I run 30's on beadlocks on mine with the stock clutching and think it does fine on the trails (rock crawling, steep rutted hills, etc....). With that said I think the 15% portals would work just fine with 32s especially with clutch work.

On the other hand if you went to 30% reduction portals with the larger tires you theoretically only "lose" about 12% on the top end. But you would definitely want a tune to get rid of the stock speed limiter and/or properly adjust the speedo. If you kept the stock tires with either reduction of portals the 50 mph speed limiter will stick kick in when the speedo says 50 mph, but you would actually be going either 15% or 30% slower.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 32" tire is about 18% larger than a stock 26"-27" tire, so the 15% reduction doesn't quite put you back to stock gearing and that's without taking into account the increased weight of the larger tires. However I will say that a stock Teryx can pull a larger tire as I run 30's on beadlocks on mine with the stock clutching and think it does fine on the trails (rock crawling, steep rutted hills, etc....). With that said I think the 15% portals would work just fine with 32s especially with clutch work.

On the other hand if you went to 30% reduction portals with the larger tires you theoretically only "lose" about 12% on the top end. But you would definitely want a tune to get rid of the stock speed limiter and/or properly adjust the speedo. If you kept the stock tires with either reduction of portals the 50 mph speed limiter will stick kick in when the speedo says 50 mph, but you would actually be going either 15% or 30% slower.
Thanks for the response. Yes I currently and for about the past two years have been running 30" carnivores on stock clutch and had zero issues over any terrain. Just didn't want to go 15% and regret it by not being able to turn the 32's. But I think with the clutch, reflash, and portals I should be good. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts