Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent had much time to drive my Teryx yet, but I have been reading a lot about the complaints of exhaust heat in the drivers compartment. There has also been a few instances where exhaust heat has warped the bed floors in the back!

Because of this, and an issue I had with the front header pipe melting the engine cover, I decided to take action while the Teryx is torn apart!

I've had this heat shield product by DEI in the garage from a past project, so I decided to put it to good use. I basically took every factory, and Muzzy heat shield, and "reinforced" the already existing heat shielding. (basically the same stuff as DEI)

After cutting all the pieces to fit, I simply used a 2 part epoxy to secure the new material.
I'm still considering insulating the inside of the engine cover, and will probably do so. I'll post pics when it's completed!

Moving on to the exhaust.........

I decided that wrapping the head pipe with DEI's exhaust wrap would solve my issue with the plastic engine cover, and keep the cabin temps down. I went down to SDHQ and bought the black exhaust wrap, and some safety wire to secure it. DEI makes real fancy "cv boot clamps" to secure the material, but cheap safety wire works just fine!

Here are the pics of the exhaust and all the stuff I coated. I wont have any "real world" reports on how well it works for another month or so, but I'd imagine doing all of this has dramatically lowered temps in the cab, and under the drivers seat! We'll find out!

·
Registered
18 Posts
wrapped exhaust

:chef2:I also wrapped the exhaust on my new teryx. HUGE, MASSIVE, DRAMATIC whatever you want to call it improvement. It didn't take me long to decide to do this after the maiden voyage in this thing. My leg was pretty much cooked
and the wife, she wasn't impressed with that at all. So it was either do something about the heat or the wife...hmmm. It was cheaper to wrap the exhaust besides I had already done the same thing to my 2 praireis with excellent results.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had thought about wrapping my exhaust also, but I removed the windshield and the heat problem is gone. Also, I didn't want to wrap the exhaust because in the winter I would like to reinstall the windshield and hope that it will be like a heater in the cab.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know how cold it gets where you're at but you will still get some heat it's just not like a blast furnace. After wrapping the exhaust on mine we took it out and my fan
did not come on at all until about 10:30 in the morning when before the wrap job it was coming on all the time. FYI I live in AZ and it's not real cool around here this time of year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
thanks alot for all the come back this has to be the best form room out here once again thanks

one more thing is it hard to find the wrap? and has anyone of you ever put on a windshield wiper kit or know were i can get one ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
have you heard a lot about heat issues with anything other than a stock muffler? I'm wondering if all this is just an issue of the over restrictive stock muff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You should be able to find the header wrap at any auto parts house like NAPA, Checker,
SHUCKS, KRAGEN, MURRAYS whatever it is where yo live. They will all have it.

Also I myself have not heard anything about the heat being reduced without a stock muffler. In my opinion you are going to get the heat no matter what kind of exhaust you have and it is simply because of the design of the whole thing. Take your engine cover off and look at it and you will see what I mean. ALOT of motor, not alot of space and because off the V-twin engine 1 header has to come off the front cylinder and run the length of the compartment: translation, ALOT OF HEAT. Wrap the exhast and it drops tremendously but not so much that you guys in the cold country lose your heater for the winter but just so you don't already have a cooked meal (your leg) when the riding is done for the day.

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
but wrapping the exhaust doesnt it keep the heat inside the motor making it run hotter?
No, in fact it keeps the exhaust temp higher which lowers the density and allows the exhaust gases to exit faster...adds a slight performance edge by allowing the intake temp to be lower

·
Registered
177 Posts
Never thought the heat deal would matter in WV but I road about 5 hours this past Sat, temp was near 70 and that damn center hump was down right HOT!...wondering if the CDI box may have made it worse, don't matter, I won't be takin it back off...lol Guess when I do the cage and stuff I'll rap the pipes up and see if that fixes the heat.

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
Never thought the heat deal would matter in WV but I road about 5 hours this past Sat, temp was near 70 and that damn center hump was down right HOT!...wondering if the CDI box may have made it worse, don't matter, I won't be takin it back off...lol Guess when I do the cage and stuff I'll rap the pipes up and see if that fixes the heat.
If you have a windshield make sure there is a gap at the bottom...if not the lack of airflow through traps the heat in the cab. We ride in 100+ here in the summer and even before I wrapped my headers the heat wasn't bad at all, But post wrap, you tell a difference. Now that the nights are in the 38-45 range I wish I had some heat heat!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts