Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I gave it any accelerator above easing it around, lots of blue smoke from the exhaust. I thought it had blown up. Called 2 dealers one said too much oil in engine, the other too much in air filter. There has been no more smoke Any one had this problem? Also didn't have a Engine brake. I set the Idle back and now have the brake but doesn't seem strong. The machine will out run the brake down hill. Also when I pull out up a small hill it seems the belt slips. The machine jerks until the engine gets faster. And last when you accelerate quickly and let off or put it in low and go slow down hill there is a thump in the drive train. It sounds like slack in the U joint or smoething loose. It still has lots of warrenty. Anyone have these problem or is the nature of the machine? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The smoke might have been from oil that was in the exhaust from manufacturing, or the rings were not quite seated yet. If it doesnt smoke anymore its probably fine. The catchy engagement of the belt seems to be common and I think its pretty normal. Just give it a little more gas starting off so it engages all the way then let off a little. The clanking in the drivelines is normal. Mine has done it since new and I have beat it pretty good with no failures, or things getting worse. Sometimes to keep the engine break engaged you have to rev it a little to keep the clutch engaged. Id say your machine seems fine. I would put some hours on it while under warrenty to see if anything gets worse. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine did the same thing when new. And it will stink for the first couple of hours. I think the key to any new machine, (Car, Truck, ATV) is to start it up new, let the engine warm up to operating temp., and then give it hell. Drive it like you stole it, for at least the first 20 hours, and it will last you alot longer, and will have alot more power for the life of the machine. It just seems that everything in the engine seats better this way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Smoke from the Teryx

You have to watch the oil level as the engine crankcase breather is on the rear cylinder on Kawi V-Twins. Sometimes hard acceleration or steep uphill climbs combined with a high oil level will cause the oil to surge rearward and be pulled out the breather and directly into the carbs. This is a very common complaint not only on Teryx but the Kawi V-Twin Quads that guys do wheelies with. IF you do a lot of steep hill climbs and see a lot of smoke keep a check on the oil level. You will be safe if you keep it between the marks on the dipstick, just do not run it below it. On our race Teryx we keep the oil level in the middle of the stick.
Quaddad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts