Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
09 Rex with msd fuel controller, pc module,muzzys dual exhaust,EPS, custom cage, pci race radio.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 and this weekend I finished installingna dual battery setup with the true isolator kit. When I went to test drive it and monitor the voltage with my accessories on. Both batteries were reading 13 volts until my fan kicked on then my main battery dropped to 11.9 an my power steering light came on indication low or weak voltage. I also have a high output stator with a mosfet regulator. Do the fans really suck that much voltage to run. Or is my rotor possibly loosing charging capabilities. Any help or insight would be great. I'm at my whits end with my charging issues.

· Registered
60 Posts
Well too many variable as you just installed it.
  • for one new batteries don't come fully charged. Put an appropriate smart charger on each battery to bring it up.
  • are you using a voltage sensitive battery isolator? They charge one battery at a time you'd have to look at the manufacturers info/spec's
  • which battery was it monitory voltage. You may need two digital volt meters if you want to monitor both at once.
  • a charge battery will should ~ 13.5VDC after engine is turned off slowly bleeding down to 12.6VDC (fully charged voltage).
  • those fans do draw a lot of current but the stator along with regulation should handle it very easily. It should run at 14VDC or slightly higher depending on the regulator both at idle and riding. With fan running only a point or two drop. Eg 14.3 drop to 14.1VDC but not more the .5VDC. A running machine should never drop below 13.5VDC even with lights (factory headlights) on. I always ride with my headlights on for safety of being seen by others on the trails.

You'll need a meter and measure the input voltage at the relay if using one, then at each battery to see what they're at. Do the batteries first with engine off to know if they're low or not. If not 12.4VDC they're not fully charged, about 75% and less if that is lower. Tight connections at the batteries is a must. Once you start up the primary battery should read at or near 14VDC almost immediately as its getting this voltage to charge the battery and power the ECU etc. That doesn't mean the battery is charged and takes a lot of riding to bring up a low battery.

I am not sure if the fans load when on switches to which ever batter is being charged or not. I never used those dual battery setups. Never saw the need myself.

Hope this helps!

· Registered
09 Rex with msd fuel controller, pc module,muzzys dual exhaust,EPS, custom cage, pci race radio.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The isolator kit came with a dual meter to read voltage on both batteries. I found the issue. The fuse off the regulator was broken. Not blown but it broke somehow. Put a new fuse in and car has power again.

· Registered
60 Posts
The isolator kit came with a dual meter to read voltage on both batteries. I found the issue. The fuse off the regulator was broken. Not blown but it broke somehow. Put a new fuse in and car has power again.
Good to hear.
With the two meter it should have stuck out something wrong as it wouldn't charge at all without a good fuse. EPS draws a lot of current as well. Eventually you're stranded if it ran too low.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been there several times. That's what made me upgrade the stator & regulator then left stranded again. So now I'm going with dual batteries. I'm the 3rd owner of the car. So I'm gonna have to take the hood off to route the eps to the secondary battery. Since it's ties into power somewhere under dash. So then all accessories will be on secondary and only ignition system and fan on primary.

· Registered
60 Posts
Its unclear to me how that system works. Especially if EPS is standard on the build, Stator Watts along with charge current levels which can charge and switch to the other batter and back all under normal electrical loads.
Over 90% of poster do not have signature created for detailed machine spec's, build, year, mileage and more. This is common to have on many forums leading to a lot guessing.

· Registered
2016 Teryx4 LE
107 Posts
Glad you found the problem. I will be doing a dual battery setup this winter. LiftedT4le did one on his not too long ago and he says his winch is alot more powerful now that it's connected to 2nd (bigger) battery under the drivers seat. he has an isolator as well but also plugs it into a battery tender and charges them when he's done for the day and gets it ready for the next day. the battery tender has a plugin wire thats wired on his T4 so its easy to plug it in to the charger part when he gets back to camp or home

· Registered
60 Posts
Yeah thats what you need is a quick connect for a smart charger. I have one on my ATV and SxS for topping up as required. Especially if not used for a long time it's necessary.
On 2016 and new being the 800 motor do you know what capacity the stator is. Original or around 2010 seemed to be 338 watts. I was shocked at that. Maybe ESP wasn't on them but still super low. ATV's have that much themselves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts