Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2017 T4 LE totally stock and been a great machine! Finally time for some new tires and would love some suggestions on a few things from this group…First, it came with 27s Big Horns like most do but tread compound seems soft now with some treads tearing. Im wondering if aftermarket Big Horns are better than the stock that came with them like how factory tires suck on a new car? I have 6 ply but would like 8 ply, is ride different? Do I really need bead locks with 8 ply? I ride in Northeast so no sand, lots of rocks and woods and I’m not big on mud holes. Lastly, always would like more clearance but don’t want to stress drive shafts, can I run 28s without 2 inch lift and/or spacers? I have read on this forum that small lifting and spacers don’t over stress drive shafts/ball joints? Can’t wait for feedback folks!

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
619 Posts
It really depends on the tire choice and the actual measurement of them, but in general you can not run a 28" tire on a stock setup without some rubbing in the front. Some tires, like the Tusk Terrabites, run small so a 28" tire may only measure out to 27" (or less) when inflated to riding pressure. I am running a 28" Bighorn 2.0 with about 1.5" of lift and 2" spacers and I will still get occasional rubbing on the recall plate at full stuff and turn. With no lift it would rub quite badly.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Keep in mind that most UTV/ATV tires are designed for primarily off-road situations. Not always just the tread compound but the overall design of the tread pattern is much more aggressive than a typical car or truck tire and will wear faster on the road. Not really uncommon to get tears, cuts, and gashes on the tread blocks when off-road and spinning on rocks and roots....even the DOT tires on my off-road fullsize truck get torn up from this. Sometimes a softer tread compound actually holds up better to off-road abuse as the rubber can flex more.
Teryx's seem to hold up to 28's just fine. Not like they suddenly start exploding parts when you go from the stock 26 or 27's up to 28's. I did break one front CV axle with really heavy 28's (SuperATV Intimidators which are one of the heaviest tires out there, plus had them on heavy beadlocks). Knock on wood but have not broken anything running 30's on beadlocks, and I do run some hard trails with lots of rocks and hillclimbs.
I think 28's are pushing it for tire clearance on a completely stock machine, especially with the metal front fender liners. The 28x10's on mine would sometimes slightly rub in the right circumstances with a 2" lift and wheel spacers, and without the steel fender lines which reduce clearance even more. I will say that a 2" lift makes a world of difference on better clearance in the ruts and rocks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep in mind that most UTV/ATV tires are designed for primarily off-road situations. Not always just the tread compound but the overall design of the tread pattern is much more aggressive than a typical car or truck tire and will wear faster on the road. Not really uncommon to get tears, cuts, and gashes on the tread blocks when off-road and spinning on rocks and roots....even the DOT tires on my off-road fullsize truck get torn up from this. Sometimes a softer tread compound actually holds up better to off-road abuse as the rubber can flex more.
Teryx's seem to hold up to 28's just fine. Not like they suddenly start exploding parts when you go from the stock 26 or 27's up to 28's. I did break one front CV axle with really heavy 28's (SuperATV Intimidators which are one of the heaviest tires out there, plus had them on heavy beadlocks). Knock on wood but have not broken anything running 30's on beadlocks, and I do run some hard trails with lots of rocks and hillclimbs.
I think 28's are pushing it for tire clearance on a completely stock machine, especially with the metal front fender liners. The 28x10's on mine would sometimes slightly rub in the right circumstances with a 2" lift and wheel spacers, and without the steel fender lines which reduce clearance even more. I will say that a 2" lift makes a world of difference on better clearance in the ruts and rocks.
Maybe the answer here is just new aggressive 8-ply(slight upgrade) 27’s like I have? I could do the 2 in lift kit and spacers for more stability and more clearance for the sake of it too? Anyone have any thoughts on necessity of beadlocks if I have 8-ply’s? Lastly, what’s advantage/disadvantage of using same size tires all the way around, I believe mine stock has 9’s in front and 11’s in back? Btw, this is a great discussion, thank you all!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You don't "need" beadlocks, but they do add a little extra security against debeading a tire. With that said I have ran with a lot of people without beadlocks and have only seen maybe 1 tire get debeaded, and that person was running very low air pressure for increased traction. Really don't think the 8-ply versus 6-ply, or any other ply, corresponds with needing beadlocks or not. I've always been a believer in running the proper air pressure on the trails and generally lower pressure delivers better traction and a better ride. A heavier ply tire generally needs lower pressure to get the same flex and bulge to get that traction and ride quality, and lower pressure means a greater chance of debeading a tire. I think there also the chance that a softer tire actually flexs more versus just getting pushed off the bead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts