Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally we got to put the teryx through its paces, we have been avid atvers for years and after reading about the side by side craze we decided this would be perfect for us to enjoy each other while riding. We settled on the Teryx because I have had brutes and prairies in the past and I am very fond of the motor. So We had about 10 hours and 80 miles on it already just putting around the yard :) but no real trail riding to speak of until today so I have reserved judgement until now. I do have a Dynatech CDI box which is a MUST have. Now, my thoughts. Honestly I am pretty dissapointed and warn all potential owners to try one before you buy, not at a dealer parking lot either. I feel there are some MAJOR issues and pitfalls we cannot look past. First and for most the noise.. This is one of the loudest machines I have been on, and I like loud things but this is annoying and is just plain poorly thoughtout. After 90 miles today both of our ears are ringing. You seriously need to wear earplugs to avoid hearing damage if you are going to be in the throttle at all. Its not from the exhaust its from the motor compartment. How can a manufacturer sell something that will actually cause hearing damage if used as intended? Unbeleivable. Oh yeah and the idea of being able to "Talk" to your partner while riding? Forge it unless you are traveling slow technical stuff... I even got the bed mat, coated the entire engine cover and bed bottom with sound deadener... still too loud. Shame on Kawi, its like riding poorly refined machine, reminds me of an old Briggs and Stratton air cooled noisey engine. Poorly planned, reminds me of their 360 prairie and the horrible vibration. (The teryx does not have any vibration issues though) By far this is the loudest production atv on the market compared to atv's as I have not had the experience to ride any other sxs except for the Kubota.

Second MAJOR issue. heat, this thing puts out so much heat my wife has a red mark on her leg from just driving with jeans on!!! It was only 75 degrees today and I cant imagine what its going to be like when its 90. It wasnt as uncomfortable to me but we wound up having to stuff a jacket between her and the center console to keep her leg from getting too hot. Poor design and I am extremely upset about this. Maybe it will get better as it breaks in more but I doubt it at this point.

Ride, I really expected this to ride as good as or better than an ATV. Even with the shocks on the lightest setting its quite jarring in comparison. I am a fast rider and found my self poking along when I wanted to go faster...

gas peddle.. Junk. See everyone elses comments..

Heat part 2, exhaust has actually WARPED the diamond plate bed.. anyone else have this issue?
No fuel gage? WTF? What is this 1984? Ok at least give me a sight glass I can SEE THROUGH.. stupid.

Belt, I cant beleive its this loose after a few hours, slips on takeoff in high..

Machine is really underpowered for its size, all the side by sides are. Just too much weight and you have to push he motor all the time, I am sure that contributes to the heat issue.

Now these are MY opinions and before anyone flames me to each his own. This is more of an informative to potential buyes, be aware of these issues as they are issues.

Anyone else feel the same frustration? Anyone try any other solutions or have any thoughts on the warped bed?

Glad I didnt sell my ATV's, Signed discouraged in Maine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have to agree on the loudness.I rode my about 8 miles or so up some pretty steep trails.There was more engine noise than I thought there would be.I have heard that the 660 Rhinos are really loud also.I had a 07 Brute Force before the Teryx.I think the heat from the Brute was worse than the Teryx.I have the exhaust tip and the Dyna Cdi.It seemed to have enough power for me.I rode up the trails in low at about 15 to 18 mph.

There is a steep drop off on one side of the trail so that was plenty of fast for me.The gas pedal is not bad just took a little getting used to.As far as the belt, mine feels like my Brute did.It feels a little jumpy at first but it really takes ahold after you get going a couuple miles per hour.Over all I am happy with my choice.

·
Cooterbob
210 Posts
The noise has never really bothered me, and until I read your post I never even thought about it. The heat is not bad on mine, and I hear you can wrap the pipes in some header wrap and cure that. All my other quads, especially my 660 grizzly, felt much hotter than the teryx. The belt is the only thing I am disappointed about. I have 27hrs on mine and took it in for first service and the dealer says I will have to bring it back bec. they don't have the tools?? He also said the belt has a flat spot in it and he is trying to get it replaced. Those are 27 easy hours. This should not be happening. Other than that, I absolutely love this machine. I have owned a grizzly, brute, and can am outty, and I wouldn't trade this for any of them. My brother and uncle now own one each and they love theirs also. I hope you can work out your bugs. That is an expensive toy not to be able to enjoy.

Reactions: BradsTR6

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
The heat must be the V-Twin. The brute I had put so much hot air out the left side, in the summer, I had to ride with my leg hanging off the floor board.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
With the timing increased with the aftermarket CDI, you can run premium gas. That will run the engine a bit cooler (but cost more and make more hp).

The stock restrictive exhaust can be unbaffled with a tip, it should also run a little cooler, but will be louder. Downward pointing tips are a little quieter. Its not going to be a night or day difference, but may help a bit. Gibson is supposed to make a quiter one that flows good with respectable hp gain.

Heat tape and muffler wraps will help the heat issue too. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow.. I have 22 hours on mine and love it.. yeah its hot but your sitting on a motor so I figured it would be hot. The noise level is a little loud but we can hear each other talking and I can't hear well. With stock tires mine rode very smooth but I have added perreli mudweisers and it rides a lttle rougher. Took mine for the 20 hour service and I told them about the slight jerking in the belts so they checked it. Said everything is normal also told me why it does that but I have already forgot.

·
TERYXERISER
311 Posts
Well finally we got to put the teryx through its paces, we have been avid atvers for years and after reading about the side by side craze we decided this would be perfect for us to enjoy each other while riding. We settled on the Teryx because I have had brutes and prairies in the past and I am very fond of the motor. So We had about 10 hours and 80 miles on it already just putting around the yard :) but no real trail riding to speak of until today so I have reserved judgement until now. I do have a Dynatech CDI box which is a MUST have. Now, my thoughts. Honestly I am pretty dissapointed and warn all potential owners to try one before you buy, not at a dealer parking lot either. I feel there are some MAJOR issues and pitfalls we cannot look past. First and for most the noise.. This is one of the loudest machines I have been on, and I like loud things but this is annoying and is just plain poorly thoughtout. After 90 miles today both of our ears are ringing. You seriously need to wear earplugs to avoid hearing damage if you are going to be in the throttle at all. Its not from the exhaust its from the motor compartment. How can a manufacturer sell something that will actually cause hearing damage if used as intended? Unbeleivable. Oh yeah and the idea of being able to "Talk" to your partner while riding? Forge it unless you are traveling slow technical stuff... I even got the bed mat, coated the entire engine cover and bed bottom with sound deadener... still too loud. Shame on Kawi, its like riding poorly refined machine, reminds me of an old Briggs and Stratton air cooled noisey engine. Poorly planned, reminds me of their 360 prairie and the horrible vibration. (The teryx does not have any vibration issues though) By far this is the loudest production atv on the market compared to atv's as I have not had the experience to ride any other sxs except for the Kubota.

Second MAJOR issue. heat, this thing puts out so much heat my wife has a red mark on her leg from just driving with jeans on!!! It was only 75 degrees today and I cant imagine what its going to be like when its 90. It wasnt as uncomfortable to me but we wound up having to stuff a jacket between her and the center console to keep her leg from getting too hot. Poor design and I am extremely upset about this. Maybe it will get better as it breaks in more but I doubt it at this point.

Ride, I really expected this to ride as good as or better than an ATV. Even with the shocks on the lightest setting its quite jarring in comparison. I am a fast rider and found my self poking along when I wanted to go faster...

gas peddle.. Junk. See everyone elses comments..

Heat part 2, exhaust has actually WARPED the diamond plate bed.. anyone else have this issue?
No fuel gage? WTF? What is this 1984? Ok at least give me a sight glass I can SEE THROUGH.. stupid.

Belt, I cant beleive its this loose after a few hours, slips on takeoff in high..

Machine is really underpowered for its size, all the side by sides are. Just too much weight and you have to push he motor all the time, I am sure that contributes to the heat issue.

Now these are MY opinions and before anyone flames me to each his own. This is more of an informative to potential buyes, be aware of these issues as they are issues.

Anyone else feel the same frustration? Anyone try any other solutions or have any thoughts on the warped bed?

Glad I didnt sell my ATV's, Signed discouraged in Maine.
:hat1: Hey grizzjeeper sound like you maybe want to sell it I have a couple
of bucks saved up for a long travel but if your unhappy with it and you want
to deliver it to AZ I have 5G's I'll give you for it!!!! LOL Todd

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow.. I have 22 hours on mine and love it.. yeah its hot but your sitting on a motor so I figured it would be hot. The noise level is a little loud but we can hear each other talking and I can't hear well. With stock tires mine rode very smooth but I have added perreli mudweisers and it rides a lttle rougher. Took mine for the 20 hour service and I told them about the slight jerking in the belts so they checked it. Said everything is normal also told me why it does that but I have already forgot.
I am pretty sure all of the v-twin Kawasaki's have the jerking at very low speeds.I know my Brute Force was the same way.I think it has to do with the electronic engine braking.Once you get up to a couple miles per hour you can feel it clamp down on the belt.I think my Brute would do it at about 3 mph.Next time you ride listen and feel for it. can allways tell when mine does it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Brute and Prairie never had this type of jerkiness, its almost like a shudder, I am sure the belt is just out of alignment. The thing is I had this same motor so I had a direct comparison, yeah the brute gave off heat and you couldnt wear shorts but this is much hotter. I will try and wrap the head pipes etc. Just shouldnt have to do it. Noise really bothers me, I mean our ears were ringing after the day ride. I cant imagine how you folks can carry on a conversation if you are moving more than 25mph.

I noticed that since I put the cdi on the fan runs much less, of course its broken in though now so that me be more of the reason. We wound up wrapping the center console with a fleece jacket to help with heat and noise at one point yesterday. Thanks for all the replies. I do not see my self selling it unless another manufacturer makes something better. Just is not the atv replacement I thought it would be. I miss the comfort of my King Quad :)

Anybody have the bed diamond plate warp from the heat? Even bubbled up my bed rubber mat slightly.

Anyone have the gibson Exhaust?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I hear ya, on everything you said. BUT...I think some of this is SxS designs, and correctable to some extent.

I’m hard hearing, so maybe I’m not the best judge of this, but the noise, is very low on my list of issues. I used a Rhino before this, I thought it was just as loud. Keep in mind, the motor is right there between the seats.

The heat, another matter....V twin design I think, along with header design...I’m probably going to wrap the headers.

Ride...Hadn’t even notice all that much.

Gas gauge, yes stupid. But I understand the early Rhino’s didn’t have one either, and the current one they have goes down at ¼ increments. I can estimate just as good as that using the trip meter.

Belt...read what rdcamero said. What he wrote, I can relate to. I do feel a jerkiness in high, with light throttle. Gas it more....gone. I can’t hear it clamp down, bt I do feel it. In low it does not do it. It’s probably a combination of this, and an initial stretch problem in the belt.

Gas peddle...it needs extend to the tunnel, to avoid the surging on rough ground, or a support of some kind jst to the right to reat your foot on.. I’ve put my right foot flat on the floor to the right of the pedal, and used my left on the gas pedal, letting my left foot ride against my right. Smoothes right out. I’ll make a mod of some sort here.

Underpowered....I’m slowing working on waking it up. You need to read here a bit, you can make of it what you want to. Very typical of any vehicle from the factory. Take the tip off...worth 1 full second on 0-40mph times. I’ve used a stop watch on it. I like fast, but in reality, most of my speed is < 20mph and I will use it that way.... a lot.

Would I by again?....in a heartbeat.

·
KFXokie
195 Posts
Get Real

Man you have to know what you are buying. This thing has a V twin...every hear of a harley? I love the sound, I had HMF duals on my V-force and now have them on my teryx.* About the only thing louder than me is the big sand cars LOL. My V-force rode pretty good for a sport quad and the Teryx is way smoother.** Heat isn't bad at all.* Every ride a 450 with a pipe and burn your leg?? I guess you could get one of those Big Boy Buggies with the electric motor. You won't ever get fast enough to have a rough ride, no heat and they are quite.* Gas pedal is always on the floor so that feels good to me as well.* I understand it is your opinion, mine is just way different and I believe most others would agree on this forum.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ive owned and raced quads all my life and the Teryx is my first SxS, to say the least I am very impressed with it. But I went into this thing with an open mind, I knew it wouldnt run anything like my V-Twin quads, I had heard sxs's were noisy in the cabin due to the design and I knew the heat would be worse with the motor enclosed. But none are that bad and I simply love the suspension/handling of the Teryx. Everytime I take a buddy for a thrill ride they are simply amazed at how well the suspension works for such a large vehicle. Your heat issue sounds extreme, Ive never heard of anyone warping the diamond plate, I would talk to your dealer about that one. I hope you get things worked out, I am lovin my Teryx!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maybe there is something wrong with mine, its hote enough to leave a red heat mark on my wifes leg with jeans on, and MUCH louder than my brute and prairie ever were.

·
Registered
308 Posts
maybe there is something wrong with mine, its hote enough to leave a red heat mark on my wifes leg with jeans on, and MUCH louder than my brute and prairie ever were.
I rode all day yesturday in shorts, it was in the 80's, no burns for me. Yeah, the top of the engine cover gets hot and you can feel the heat, but not near enough to burn me. Im wondering if you are lean with the dyna. What octane gas are you running? I run a VDI with 93 octane, I also use Mobil 1 15-50 oil, you might want to try that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, my teryx bed diamond plastic plate is wavey in the front but i really dont think that it is from the heat. Mine is hot but not as hot as holding number one cylinder head valve cover on my quad ( 2007 650 sra brute force). And no i dont make a practice of doing this, unless there is BEER involved. ha ha.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The wavey bed is from the heat! thats what mine looks like, wavey, wasnt when I first picked it up, now it is and i have not loaded anything in the bed yet.

LMAO about holding the cylinder head... I did that once with what I thought was a radiator hose.. nope head pipe on my Prairie.

Do you need to jet with CDI box? I am about sea level. Havent checked my plugs yet, overheat light has not come on at all, fan doesn't even run that much. I will go home and tell my wife she is just a sissy and her legs will toughen up :)

I am going to order some of that sound/heat deflector stuff from Dynamat. the hood liner stuff and line the underneath of the center console. maybe kill two birds with 1 stone.

Oh and I need more power now, I was suprised how well it slides :)

Anyone comment on the aftermarket exhausts? Gibson? Dont want anything loud but would like a little more power. How about the intake Mod I see hunter posted? Anyone comment on it?

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
The wavey bed is from the heat! thats what mine looks like, wavey, wasnt when I first picked it up, now it is and i have not loaded anything in the bed yet.

LMAO about holding the cylinder head... I did that once with what I thought was a radiator hose.. nope head pipe on my Prairie.

Do you need to jet with CDI box? I am about sea level. Havent checked my plugs yet, overheat light has not come on at all, fan doesn't even run that much. I will go home and tell my wife she is just a sissy and her legs will toughen up :)

I am going to order some of that sound/heat deflector stuff from Dynamat. the hood liner stuff and line the underneath of the center console. maybe kill two birds with 1 stone.

Oh and I need more power now, I was suprised how well it slides :)

Anyone comment on the aftermarket exhausts? Gibson? Dont want anything loud but would like a little more power. How about the intake Mod I see hunter posted? Anyone comment on it?
Please let us know how the heat fixes work. My leg is sweating like crazy put putting around on our fairly steep and wooded property. Also exhaust info on what you get and what you think would be good as well. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Grizzjeeper - How many hours do you have on it? My initial ride in my Teryx, I to was really noticing the heat. I talked to the dealer about it, and he said give it 30 hours on the meter, they do generate more heat initially. I thought at the time....yeah right. But, I will admit it doesn't seem quite as bad now, and that's with 10 hours on the meter. I still think I will wrap the headers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
First off I gotta say i havent noticed any of the issues until i read about them, My YFZ450 blistered my leg when it was jetted improperly through riding boots and long sox and riding pants!! I would never run less than premium gas in my toy the cost is not much more on 8 or so gal. second the noise issue not bad either but then again i drove a tomcar first and that was LOUD and uncomfortable.
I guess the driveability factor with the pedal placement and the jerky way it drives can get anoying but i usually have the pedal to the floor anyways so it doesnt bother me much.
I do agree about the gas guage though thats hilarious!!!
Anyways i love the Teryx and ill never look back at another quad,I hope you get it figured out it sux your having such a bad experience with such a possibly fun toy

·
Registered
62 Posts
GRIZZJEEPER I'm on your side, when you are wearing shorts and riding in 80 degree weather it will burn you ass up. My wife and I have to wet towels and lay them between the shrout and seat in order to stay in it. I'm going to take some advice from some of the other guys and put header wrap and glue some heat shields on the inside of the shrout. I have to say she said that it feels pretty good in the winter when we are hunting.:chef2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts