Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Teryx4 LE

My daughter rolled the Teryx a couple weeks ago. It came to rest on it's top. The kids were fine - the roll cage did it's job. It was upside down for about 20 minutes before they got it back on it's wheels. It had obviously leaked some oil while upside down. It smoked for a bit, then cleared up and seems to be running just fine. We've used it a couple times since, without any issues.

I noticed yesterday that there were a couple spots on the ground where there is oil dripping from the undercarriage. Not a lot, but enough to leave a spot. I have not yet climbed under the machine to remove the skid plate / plastics to see where the oil is leaking from. Any thoughts on what I should look for (ie: filter)? Anything else I should be worried about?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I would bet.......you have oil laying on under belly of machine...

dripping out when upright......glad no one was hurt......

My seat belt is always on.....

change oil & filter for sure so amount is correct....

that's another plus to the Teryx...four full quarts of oil.....

while others are only two...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would bet.......you have oil laying on under belly of machine...

dripping out when upright.
That's what I'm hoping -- clean up everything underneath and hopefully that's the end.

......glad no one was hurt......

My seat belt is always on.....
All three of them had seatbelts on. They all were hanging upside down when the machine stopped on it's roof.
All three of the seatbelts ended up breaking the "tongue adjustment" piece - the plastic piece that allows you to tighten or loosen the belt and retain that fit. The belts all still work, but you can't snug them down on your lap anymore.
I'll also have to replace the pasenger-front pillar of the roll cage. It has a slight bend in it -- not enough to break the windshield, but enough that it popped a couple brackets holding my roof rack on. No big deal. Like I said, the roll cage did it's job and kept everyone safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
had a chance to get under the Terxy, changed my oil, oil filter, and air filter, and found where the oil was leaking from. The air intake tract had oil in it, and the clear bubble drain had filled to capacity, which was allowing oil to drip out.

I left the drain off over night to let any oil still in the tract to drain / drip out. It's been a few days now, and the drain is empty / clear.

The question now is: do I need to worry about anything else?

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021 TOTM Winner
2020 Teryx4 LE
677 Posts
Sorry, reviving this old thread. It's the only thread I've found that has a pic of that little condom on the air intake tube. I pulled mine off and it had some water and silt in it. This is after the filter, airbox is clean, filter is clean. I will be going through some deep water crossings that may get past that little tube. Might have to put a real hose clamp on it instead of the little spring clamp, though it still shouldn't have let dirt in? Other intake hoses/clamps seem snug.

Reactions: oaguilar3601

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd say that the silt came from the same place as the water. Brown water is going to have silt settle out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey PBH, I had the same situation. Any problems with your Teryx after draining out the tube or the roll over? Yesterday I took out the tube and drained it however I put it back on within minutes. I can see a few oil droplets again. I will have to let it drain-out over night to make sure all the oil is removed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2017 Teryx4 LE

My daughter rolled the Teryx a couple weeks ago. It came to rest on it's top. The kids were fine - the roll cage did it's job. It was upside down for about 20 minutes before they got it back on it's wheels. It had obviously leaked some oil while upside down. It smoked for a bit, then cleared up and seems to be running just fine. We've used it a couple times since, without any issues.

I noticed yesterday that there were a couple spots on the ground where there is oil dripping from the undercarriage. Not a lot, but enough to leave a spot. I have not yet climbed under the machine to remove the skid plate / plastics to see where the oil is leaking from. Any thoughts on what I should look for (ie: filter)? Anything else I should be worried about?

thanks.
Oil will bleed down the intake snorkel towards the air filter element, while upside down. My '20 T2 has a clear plastic trap bulb attached to the bottom of the intake tube to catch this oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts