Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 30's on the S and I'm happy with them. These maxxis rampage 30x10x14 are measuring 29 3/4" at 10 psi (measurement is taken horizontally with tire mounted and machine sitting on the ground) I'm sitting at almost 15" ground clearance in the rear and 13.25" up front without touching anything. The wheels are Sedona split 6 beadlocks and they are 14x7 4+3 offset. The passenger tire will definitely rub at full lock and flexed out but I'm going to add preload to front to level the machine out. Also it looks like 1.5" rear spacers will be about perfect to square it up. I dig it. 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We'll see! I'm not a real aggressive driver but if it makes too much of a difference then, darn, I guess I'll have to upgrade. 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: after adding 3/4" of preload to the front it raised it almost two inches. After riding it around the neighborhood and getting it settled I have 14.75" clearance in front and about 14.5" in the rear. And it feels just as good as it did before.

Update #2: rubbing issue was fixed by fixing the terrible factory alignment. My front wheels were toe-ed way out and it allowed the passenger wheel to turn a lot further than the driver. So I can now say that these clear completely. 馃憤

Administrator
Christ is King
Good looking Teryx.

Reactions: Crawdad1028

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you saying the factory toe settings were not symmetrical between left & right sides?
Yes, they were pretty drastically off. It was basically just the passenger front wheel. When I was riding before I'd have to hold the top of the steering wheel at about 9 o'clock to go straight. When I centered the steering wheel, the drivers side was straight and I had to bring the passenger side way in from there. Fixing the Toe also corrected a lot of that negative camber.

Registered
Thanks for the review. I know everybody is really anxious to hear more about these S models. Now we just need a good direct comparison between an S model and normal Teryx with aftermarket shocks. As I've said from the beginning, if you can buy an S model and all you have to do is slap some 30's on it and add a little preload for a lift that is the way to go for the $500 MSRP. Sure beats having to buy $800 in a-arms, $1,500 in shocks, and $200 wheel spacers for the same affect. I would almost be surprised if they just didn't make the S package standard in coming years.

Can't remember off hand so will have to measure the ground clearance on my '15 with 30's and Bandit shocks for comparison.

Registered
2021 Teryx S LE - Candy Persimmon Red/Black
Yes, they were pretty drastically off. It was basically just the passenger front wheel. When I was riding before I'd have to hold the top of the steering wheel at about 9 o'clock to go straight. When I centered the steering wheel, the drivers side was straight and I had to bring the passenger side way in from there. Fixing the Toe also corrected a lot of that negative camber. View attachment 63765
Hey, was looking to do the same to my 21 S LE 2 seater. How has this mod faired since you installed it? I am very well versed in off road Jeeping with a TJ on 35s and a 4.5 inch lift but new to SXS. I know you can lose some wheel travel and get rubbing on the top if you have to big of tires with not enough lift and space, also issues on hard bumps or flexing. Any info regards to off road performance there? Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, was looking to do the same to my 21 S LE 2 seater. How has this mod faired since you installed it? I am very well versed in off road Jeeping with a TJ on 35s and a 4.5 inch lift but new to SXS. I know you can lose some wheel travel and get rubbing on the top if you have to big of tires with not enough lift and space, also issues on hard bumps or flexing. Any info regards to off road performance there? Thanks!
I've put it through some solid rough rocky rides here in east TN and it has done great! Absolute game changer over stock and no rubbing. These are true to size 30x10 at 10psi. Sway bar has been disconnected since day one and added preload helped a lot with bottoming out. I added 3/4" to the front and with the 30s I have 14.5" ground clearance front and rear. I also came from the jeep world and this is my first sxs. with this setup I feel as confident as I did with my Jeep on 37s. Without having to worry about driving it home. Lol

Registered
I've put it through some solid rough rocky rides here in east TN and it has done great! Absolute game changer over stock and no rubbing. These are true to size 30x10 at 10psi. Sway bar has been disconnected since day one and added preload helped a lot with bottoming out. I added 3/4" to the front and with the 30s I have 14.5" ground clearance front and rear. I also came from the jeep world and this is my first sxs. with this setup I feel as confident as I did with my Jeep on 37s. Without having to worry about driving it home. Lol View attachment 63848
Awesome! How is the performance powerwise on the pedal and by that I mean like how when you add larger tires to your jeep you need to regear to a lower gear. I added 4.88s for my TJ on 35s and it gave it tons of power that going up in tire size it lost.

I was debating if portals would be the way to go once they come out for the S model with larger tires like 32s or if just adding 30s like you have would suffice. I love the extra ground clearance. Basically trying to do this the right way without causing other things to break like belts or suspension.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear ya. I had 5.13 in my Jeep. These 30s are on the lighter side but you can definitely feel the weight when you first put them on but it's not drastic. Im not a speed demon though and most of my riding is in low range. I might add a clutch kit later but I'm not concerned with supporting mods like what was needed on the jeep.

Registered
I hear ya. I had 5.13 in my Jeep. These 30s are on the lighter side but you can definitely feel the weight when you first put them on but it's not drastic. Im not a speed demon though and most of my riding is in low range. I might add a clutch kit later but I'm not concerned with supporting mods like what was needed on the jeep.
Ok great. Thank you for your feedback. That is what I wanted to know. Not a speed demon either. Know how to wheel just not used to the Teryx just yet. Only have 22 miles on mine and ready for the fluid changes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok great. Thank you for your feedback. That is what I wanted to know. Not a speed demon either. Know how to wheel just not used to the Teryx just yet. Only have 22 miles on mine and ready for the fluid changes.
Yeah I've got about 200 miles on mine now. I know there are much faster machines but with this thing I'm flying through the trails compared to crawling in the jeep. 馃槀

Registered
When just speaking of 30" tires, I've been pretty happy with the performance of my T4 with the stock clutch so far. I do a lot of rockcrawling and lower speed technical trails in Windrock and Brimstone. Weight is a big factor and I run the Crawler XG's on beadlocks so not the lightest setup (they weight 40 lbs. per tire as compared to a Carnivore or Blackwater which is around 33-34 lbs.)>

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When just speaking of 30" tires, I've been pretty happy with the performance of my T4 with the stock clutch so far. I do a lot of rockcrawling and lower speed technical trails in Windrock and Brimstone. Weight is a big factor and I run the Crawler XG's on beadlocks so not the lightest setup (they weight 40 lbs. per tire as compared to a Carnivore or Blackwater which is around 33-34 lbs.)>
I live in east TN so I ride the same places and so far I love these rampages. I looked at several options but a big factor on these was the weight for me. They're right there with the carnivore. So far they've done awesome around tackett creek.

Registered
Ah yes, that is some info I was wondering about. I know weight is a big factor. With bigger tires come heavier weight and causes strain on components. That was a concern for me. Even with portals if I run 32s I wonder if that would still be a factor with steering and such?

But I'd rather go the route you went with just adding 30s and no portals. I think the S LE model I have has the longer arched a arms like you mentioned so it makes it easier to just swap on 30s.

Question, when jeeping we always air down going off road. I assume with beadlocks on atvs people air down too to run lower air pressure. I wasn't sure bc of the huge ply tires. My Mickey Thompson mtzs on my Jeep are only 3 ply while these atv tires are like 6 ply or 9 ply! Crazy thick. And some tubeless no? So wasn't sure if it was the same concepts. Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah yes, that is some info I was wondering about. I know weight is a big factor. With bigger tires come heavier weight and causes strain on components. That was a concern for me. Even with portals if I run 32s I wonder if that would still be a factor with steering and such?

But I'd rather go the route you went with just adding 30s and no portals. I think the S LE model I have has the longer arched a arms like you mentioned so it makes it easier to just swap on 30s.

Question, when jeeping we always air down going off road. I assume with beadlocks on atvs people air down too to run lower air pressure. I wasn't sure bc of the huge ply tires. My Mickey Thompson mtzs on my Jeep are only 3 ply while these atv tires are like 6 ply or 9 ply! Crazy thick. And some tubeless no? So wasn't sure if it was the same concepts. Thanks.
My maxxis are 8 ply and I leave them at 10 psi front and rear. Don't do any road riding though.

Registered
I ran 28" SuperATV Intimindators for several years that are 45 lbs. each, so going to a lighter 40 lb. 30" tire didn't make much, if any, difference in the overall feel of my machine. I also picked up a set of 29.5" SuperATV Terminators this winter for snow and mud, and these are 46 lbs. each. The Crawlers are great on the rocks and are pretty bad in sloppy mud trails we have locally.

For the air pressure question, I was involved in the full-size vehicle off-roading scene for a long time before getting into SxS's. My rig at 5,500 lbs. had 40" tires and ran them around 7-8 psi when off-road. On my SxS with the 30" Crawlers I run around 8 psi in them and have been happy with the performance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts