Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kevin Platt # 030 in the green teryx had a nasty flip on the last lap of the main.

Thank God he was O.K., he drove away with a stiff neck and seeing stars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks like it needed a brace from the upper front corner back to the bottom of the rear upright.Would make it hard to get into but I think the cage would have held up a lot better.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Glad to here you are ok. For some reason, I thought the Kawi cage was rated for a flip. I guess it needs some support gussets.

The angle of the jump seems to push people in to the little dip/bump by the pylon on the table top. (Edit) Looks more like a compacting issue on the table top, as the dip wasn't there at the start and may have aided in the flip. Racing sure looked like fun though. Hopefully everyone had a great time. Who won?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Man glad your ok,sure would have thought the cage would held up to that.. Wonder what kawi would say about that? I thought the cage was ROPS certified?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a little sore today ,but ready to do research on cages ,and race builds(safe ones).Should i send these pics to kawi. The cage and bed were the only damage sustained.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would send some pics and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
186 Posts
definately, that was one small selling feature for me{rop cerified} no other side by side is I dont like seeing that glad your ok.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Wow! Glad you survived that one! There are some good cages out there..... HRT Motorsports, Funco Motorsports, etc. You could also buy the cage clevis ends and build a cage yourself or have it done locally to avoid shipping from the mainland.
The races look like fun! How often are they going to be racing UTVs?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey guy, Glad you're OK.....the roll bar can be replaced, but you can't. I wonder if all that's needed for a cage to be certified is the ability to support the weight of the machine when on its top. The doesn't help when a frontal impact like yours occurred. A person isn't going to know if they are going to just be placed upside down. Can't picture that scenario....would think there is always going to be impact forces from one direction or another. Anyone out there know anything about the certification process?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
i think it is for side roll overs, but obviosly not end over, if its okay with you i am going to save these pictures to show why people NEED a properly built cage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts