Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who hunt using your Teryx4, I thought I would share a method that I use to mount my Kolpin rifle cases to my rig. I don't know if anyone else does this, I was unable to find posts on this site or anywhere else that mounts rifles like this so I'm sharing this method that works great, is very cost effective and doesn't sacrifice any storage space at all.
I'm 6'4" tall and 240 lbs and this method doesn't cause any trouble getting in or out of the vehicle. I have to duck my head slightly when I get in the rear seat and that's it. once seated it is completely out of the way.
I've mounted 2 hard cases, one on each side. The units are easily and quickly installed and removed as you can see from the photos, using 2 - 25" rubber tiedowns; and shortened 1" wide nylon straps, which wont compromise your ROPS system or damage any of the finishes. The cases don't stick out as much as my side mirrors and I don't have any issues with width in tight spaces etc. The photos were taken when I was trying the idea out and I have since replaced these straps with ones that look better. I have also used some very strong adhesive to glue the 3 rubber bumpers to the ROPS tubing which are 3/8" thick by 1" wide by 3" long, so I don't lose any on the trail, but as you can see, you could probably just zip tie them in place if you don't want rubber blocks permanently attached to your rig. Placement of the bumpers: One on the vertical tube just behind the drivers head, one on the top horizontal tube by the handle of the case and one near the mount where the aft cross tube attaches to the aft vertical tube just behind the passengers head. Measurements for the placement of the rubber is not critical just use the hard case as a guide and put them where the case touches the ROPS tubing the hardest.
With everything tight and locked in, the system is very solid and does not vibrate or move.

One drawback this method has is if you are vertically challenged, you may have a problem accessing the pin to open the aft part of the hard case to get your rifle out. But, you can simply insert your rifle in a padded gun case and slide it in the rear of the hard case and leave the rear portion of the hard case off. I don't use the padding that comes with the hard case anyway because I want to keep the dust and dirt off of my firearms so I insert my rifles into a padded gun case then insert it all into the hard case.
When I'm hunting coyotes I leave the back of the hard case off so I can get to my rifle quickly and easily because I'm getting out and in my vehicle about every mile or so. There is enough friction with a rifle in a padded case inserted into the hard case to keep it secure, at least that's what I've found. and this method would make it easier for shorter persons to access their firearm. A slight modification would allow you to tie your rifle and padded case in if you felt it necessary. Or you might even be able to mount the hard case upside down to allow access to the lock pin if you are shorter. Don't know cuz I haven't tried that but it might work.
Happy hunting and....watch yer top knot. (Mountain Man lingo for be careful)

37 Posts
That looks great! I haven't used a hard case yet as I only carry by rifle while on my farm. I do have a similar hard case though so I think I am going to mount it up like that so I'm ready when we do go off property (have to have everything locked up here in NJ)
This is what I use now, I don't have a pic of it on my Teryx but its mounted in the same location, this is the Rhino we use around the farm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you,
I think you'll be happy with the set up. I have found that it protects my rifles from elements, and dirt really well. it also doesn't harm my Teryx's finish or ROPS structural integrity, even on the rough trails that I ride. I hunt the high remote deserts and mountains of Utah, Nevada, Idaho, and Wyoming, and encounter all types of weather and terrain. this set up does really well. Its a solid yet un-invasive mount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts