Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member (hello) and first time poster.

2018 Teryx 4 - 798 miles, has only been driven in a campground, never on the trails, never mudded but has seen a mud puddle or two over the years..

Was brought over to my farm, driving in low gear around 10 mph, riding through one of the pastures and "clank" with a really bad rattle.

Took it to the house and started to diagnose. Long and short, the outerface of the secondary driven clutch sheared off and was sitting behind the assembly.

Automotive tire Alloy wheel Bicycle part Motor vehicle Bumper

Where the piece ended up...

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Piece fished out and placed for perspective;

Crankset Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Luckily there is an extended warranty through April 2024 and will be calling the local dealer on Tuesday when they open.

I have done some searching and seen this has happened before and have a couple of questions;

1 - what would cause this?

2 - is there a better aftermarket piece which is stronger?

I am thinking of buying it from them after it is repaired to use on the farm as it is a clean unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only thoughts on a cause is either a bad casting or a foreign object between the belt and clutch surface. However if it was a foreign object you should have found it inside the cover? The belt is really chewed up on the outside surface, could have occurred after the break or there was a crack beforehand? To my knowledge there is no one manufacturing upgraded CVT clutches for the Teryx. I'm sure there are instances of one breaking before, but it is not a common occurrence.

Mike
I believe the belt is chewed from actually having to drive it from the pasture to the garage and up on ramps - it lurches when it moves and I can assume the belt is getting snagged and chewed from the sharp edges of the sheaves face.

Reading the extended warranty it does not say clutches are part of the warranty, so it looks like we will be eating the cost of the replacement - $600 for the driven clutch and another $100 for a belt.

Surprisingly there was not much belt dust inside the casing, nor did I find any foreign objects.

I will replace it and he is going to drop the price to reflect the parts and my time. I will still buy it just thought it was odd and sourcing the parts only return me to stock parts.

Thanks for the reply!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts