Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can promise you wont hear anymore from me on this topic, and I can say I come to this site looking for info on these machines also, just like everyone else. I'm speaking of real world experience, I can guarantee you I've driven and been around more motorsports performance than 95% of the members on this site, from cars to bikes to trucks. I don't mean that rude I read a lot on here and I know some peoples limitations, But if you think you can put a programmer, gut the exhaust and a new belt and these things just magically start going ape shit you are crazy, they are heavy, they do make good power for what they are, and are very fun. I just want to give some real world experience to a new owner that has good common sense about them that spending $470 for a programmer and gutting the exhaust is very much not worth it, spend it in a stereo system or some wheels and tires.

·
Old Ezra
967 Posts
I'm the other 5%.......:) If you know what you're doing with a PCV and a map, even with the stock exhaust, the gains are there. A "new-belt" has nothing to do with it. The PCV I bought was not 470.00??? Not sure where you bought yours.
Gutting the exhaust lowers temps and increases flow.......Period. Even on a bone-stock machine. The closed-loop system "Learns" and adapts to change, rather well as a matter of fact. To a point of course.
That's where mapping and the PCV comes into play. The gains with a good exhaust, even tho your highness with all your infinite wisdom, "don't want one" are astounding. Smoking a RZR-900XP from 0-60............$1170.00 well spent.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
No pissing match here. None wanted. Just for the record as much as I dislike Benchmark my 2013 Benchmark reflashed ECM on my 2013 Teryx with no other mods would smoke my stock 2014 T4 800 in 300'. Yes if you get the right setup it does do well. If you have a PCV (I got mine from VFJ) but not the right mapping, you won't get anything but raised rev limiter. That reflashed ECM made a HUGE difference. Ask my buddy Tony.

I like to get a little extra out of my machine. To me it is worth every penny. Lot cheaper than a lot of work I have done on my Diesel truck.

Yea I have a PCV, Muzzy's Exhaust, BKP clutch work (No cutting) and the BKP 900 kit with the full head and valve treatment. To me it is worth it.

Belt had nothing to do with it. It is springs and flyweights that do the work to make it preform better than stock. Raising the rev limiter goes hand in hand with clutch work.

My machine runs pretty good and is GREAT on the trails, I got it setup for trails. These are trail cams not drag cams.

First video below is my T4 against my then stock T2.

Next two videos are of my T4 BKP 900 racing a bone stock Maverick 1000.

Video does not lie. It is right there for anyone to see. You can hop up these machines and after owning now 7 Teryx machines and doing clutch work to them and a ECM or PCV or CDI and an exhaust and a better flowing air filter (right now using FuelUTV on my 2014's and 2013 I sold Tony) it does make them perform better especially the low end through mid range. I am not a top end guy so I don't setup my stuff for that. I like Muzzy's exhaust and have worked with them through the years and they have fixed everything I have complained about or requested. Good exhaust for the money.

·
Mark
132 Posts
Took mine to Colorado. Rode almost 400 miles in 5 days so I would say I put it to the test. Went over Poughkipsee Gulch and Imogene. Carried a passenger and the only time I had any issue was climbing an extremely steep rock at 13000 ft but that was an air intake issue. No problems crawling some crazy stuff. Clutch was solid.
Is there a fix for air intake at 13000 ft?

·
SLCUTAHDUNER
126 Posts
I just picked up my Machine from the dealer yesterday. I can tell a huge difference. The rear end locks up effortlessly now. Not that it didn't have good hook up before. Mine doesn't seem to get to the top end as fast but it launches out of the hole better and seems to have more bottom end torque of idle. I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have any issues with my belt prior to the recall. But there's is definitely a difference. We'll see how long it holds up. I would like to think that since Kawi did such an expensive recall they did the research needed to make it a reliable fix. Only time and miles will tell.

I hope everyone realizes that ANY changes you do to these things performance wise really does nothing, don't want a pissing match or anything. I've done every mod except exhaust which I don't want. Driving with all the mods you can feel a slight difference but machine vs machine it really does nothing. I have the power commander V, converter knocked out, spark arrestor gone and the recall done, it's not worth wondering if anything is going to be "better", it's not, everybody who wants to believe it makes a difference go ahead, I've been modding stuff for years from race cars to diesel trucks, to racing bikes and now these, it's not worth worrying youself over for sure, the speed limit removal is the only thing I my opinion that is really a must to do.
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Can't feel a diff. my A$$. Try looking at the dyno #'s from any one of the performance parts suppliers in this industry. If you really had a fraction of your supposed experience in and around motorsports of any kind you wouldn't make such a ridiculous statement. You Sir sounds like an idiot and a troll!

I'm the other 5%.......:) If you know what you're doing with a PCV and a map, even with the stock exhaust, the gains are there. A "new-belt" has nothing to do with it. The PCV I bought was not 470.00??? Not sure where you bought yours.
Gutting the exhaust lowers temps and increases flow.......Period. Even on a bone-stock machine. The closed-loop system "Learns" and adapts to change, rather well as a matter of fact. To a point of course.
That's where mapping and the PCV comes into play. The gains with a good exhaust, even tho your highness with all your infinite wisdom, "don't want one" are astounding. Smoking a RZR-900XP from 0-60............$1170.00 well spent.
I'm with you. The fact is for a reasonable amount of money you can push these machines to out perform another machine that was already designed to be a go fast machine in comparison to a machine that was design to be the best well rounded machine on the market. Providing both speed on open trails and tighter mountain trail performance as balanced between the two as possible. I can say for me one of the biggest limiting factors of the new Teryx is the speed limiter. But I get why a manufacture would want to limit their liability...

No pissing match here. None wanted. Just for the record as much as I dislike Benchmark my 2013 Benchmark reflashed ECM on my 2013 Teryx with no other mods would smoke my stock 2014 T4 800 in 300'. Yes if you get the right setup it does do well. If you have a PCV (I got mine from VFJ) but not the right mapping, you won't get anything but raised rev limiter. That reflashed ECM made a HUGE difference. Ask my buddy Tony.

I like to get a little extra out of my machine. To me it is worth every penny. Lot cheaper than a lot of work I have done on my Diesel truck.

Yea I have a PCV, Muzzy's Exhaust, BKP clutch work (No cutting) and the BKP 900 kit with the full head and valve treatment. To me it is worth it.

Belt had nothing to do with it. It is springs and flyweights that do the work to make it preform better than stock. Raising the rev limiter goes hand in hand with clutch work.

My machine runs pretty good and is GREAT on the trails, I got it setup for trails. These are trail cams not drag cams.

First video below is my T4 against my then stock T2.
2014 BKP 900 teryx v stock 2014 teryx - YouTube

Next two videos are of my T4 BKP 900 racing a bone stock Maverick 1000.
2014 BKP Teryx vs 2014 Maverick - YouTube

2014 BKP 900 Teryx vs 2014 Can Am Maverick - YouTube

Video does not lie. It is right there for anyone to see. You can hop up these machines and after owning now 7 Teryx machines and doing clutch work to them and a ECM or PCV or CDI and an exhaust and a better flowing air filter (right now using FuelUTV on my 2014's and 2013 I sold Tony) it does make them perform better especially the low end through mid range. I am not a top end guy so I don't setup my stuff for that. I like Muzzy's exhaust and have worked with them through the years and they have fixed everything I have complained about or requested. Good exhaust for the money.
The proof is in the pudding!!! looks some damn good noticeable improvements to me. :icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft:

Reactions: Magellan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Took mine to Colorado. Rode almost 400 miles in 5 days so I would say I put it to the test. Went over Poughkipsee Gulch and Imogene. Carried a passenger and the only time I had any issue was climbing an extremely steep rock at 13000 ft but that was an air intake issue. No problems crawling some crazy stuff. Clutch was solid.
Is there a fix for air intake at 13000 ft?
This is the exactly the kind of performance at elevation info I've been looking for. Is your machine stock???

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
If you look only at the dyno. The Exhaust also make s huge different. VFJ PC5 and a better flowing air filter only made 2 HO on the dyno. On the seat of the pants dyno, it made a difference. Low and mid range it makes a difference. It really does.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought my Teryx4 on friday and the mechanic that put it together out of the crate it was in took care of all the recalls on it. I can't tell you if its better , but its great. Still breaking it in.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I hate you all!!!!:rm_thumbdown: Im still waiting on recall done to even get to drive my new one!!!

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
I run the FuelUTV air filters and have on both T4's and the new T2 it is on the way to Big Kev's to put on my 2014 T2.

·
Mark
132 Posts
It is stock. Do not misunderstand, if did well but I'm wanting that little extra for the elevation. The only time I ever thought I might run out of power was above 13000 feet and that was on a steep incline at the very top of Imogene.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tell yall what, I've been following this and thinking, next chance I get which may be a month or so I'll pull the center console out and hook my wideband up, do some data logging and see if or how far off my fuel map is from VFJ. I bought it from him, I have gutted the cat and cut off the silencer, nothing else is done to the bike. Everything I've read is an aftermarket air filter isn't worth it for the power, I think VFJ said 1hp or so, correct me if I'm wrong. What is the optimal air fuel at WOT on these bikes? 12.5-12.8? Oh yea I'll ignore the name calling for right now, that helps everybody learn a lot. I'm all about making any improvements, and reliability mods, but I honestly can't get my rocks off for 1/2 of a buggy length, sorry but I'm used to making some real changes. Again I understand everybody likes to make changes and see how much it helps I'm not saying the stuff doesn't have a "feel" but overall it's not that noticeable what I've done to my bike, I can run side by side with a completely stock bike until I hit 50mph, but mine feels or sounds to me a touch more peppy but overall there isn't that much difference to where I'd buy another PCV, now with aftermarket exhaust it may be a whole different ball game, simple as that. Now I'll report back what I find and how much it helps IF I need to add any fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
The aftermarket air filter is to not let dirt get past it. My T4 factory filter did let find coal dust past it. Since using the FuelUTV it does not. I could care less about the HP gains or losses. You are never going to get any good HP gains with the stock intake on a T4. That is a fact. No matter if you run it with no air filter in it it won't do much more than it does.

What is it you are trying to say? A machine that weights about 1700 pounds like mine does beating a stock 1000cc Maverick it out weighs by hundreds of pounds and it has 4 seats in it. I am good with it. I went riding again today with a couple who have quads. Guess what they are about to do? I also made it back to my trailer in one piece. Good enough for me. Why are you so angry and keep commenting on how much experience you have? Who else here does that but a few.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm really not angry, I'm trying to say that MY experience is, on a 800cc teryx4 adding a PCV tuned from VFJ and gutting the converter along with spark arrestor to me" IN MY OPINION" is not worth it. Why is that so wrong on here? My real world experience is that it will barely give you a quarter of a buggy length in 0-50mph performance. I do not deny that you can lower your temps or get a minor slight seat of the pants feel with some modifications, but it just isn't worth it. What I'm trying to say is If I would have talked to someone with these mods and said unless you want to remove the speed limiter it's not worth it I would have saved my money. Do you know what the optimal air fuel ratio for these bikes are at WOT? I'm offering some R&D on this opinionated subject. To me it's like this, somebody posts on here is it worth it to add a PCV and gut my exhaust for performance gains? Hey I say no now; but let me do some data logging and if I need to add some fuel because of the more free flowing exhaust along with VFJ's timing curve then I'll post my opinion of gains after that. What's wrong with this?

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
I'm really not angry, I'm trying to say that MY experience is, on a 800cc teryx4 adding a PCV tuned from VFJ and gutting the converter along with spark arrestor to me" IN MY OPINION" is not worth it. Why is that so wrong on here? My real world experience is that it will barely give you a quarter of a buggy length in 0-50mph performance. I do not deny that you can lower your temps or get a minor slight seat of the pants feel with some modifications, but it just isn't worth it. What I'm trying to say is If I would have talked to someone with these mods and said unless you want to remove the speed limiter it's not worth it I would have saved my money. Do you know what the optimal air fuel ratio for these bikes are at WOT? I'm offering some R&D on this opinionated subject. To me it's like this, somebody posts on here is it worth it to add a PCV and gut my exhaust for performance gains? Hey I say no now; but let me do some data logging and if I need to add some fuel because of the more free flowing exhaust along with VFJ's timing curve then I'll post my opinion of gains after that. What's wrong with this?
I would agree with you. I gained less than 2 HP from what you are describing above. Even putting on a Muzzy's exhaust which was not installed on this run I seriously doubt you are going to see anywhere close to 12 HP that has been claimed. Stock HP is over 41. I got a whopping 43 on this the best run. You can also see the wet clutch slippage on this run as well. This was on fully synthetic oil BTW.

Here are the MAPS I received on the PCV when I received it that achieved those extra little less than 2 HP numbers. Look at all that extra timing. Now that is a LOT of timing. I am running a max of +6 degrees now at any RPM.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Here is what my machine is putting down now after all the Big Kev work. I would have to borrow my buddy's windows laptop again to pull the PCV programming but I have seen it at Big Kev's who built it, that is how I know I am only running +6 degrees extra timing max. Remember the PCV adds EXTRA timing on top of what is already there.

This kind of work is worth the money to me, but you have to have a PCV and Muzzy's or a custom exhaust and a lot of work to get it. When I got my PCV I knew I was planning on taking the machine to Big Kev's for more work. This machine has a LOT of work in it engine and clutch. I agree with you that no way are you going to get 12HP with just an exhaust and a programmer, it is just not going to happen on the T4 800.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now you are talking like you have some sense, I'm assuming you are running a lot less timing due to compression ratio? So you are making 86hp at the wheels now? What all has been done to your bike? Is the A/F ratio showing correctly?

61 - 80 of 113 Posts