Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

Spark Plug Replacement, loss of power

16K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Jimpet 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys: Pulled my 2018 Teryx 800 out of storage. Wife ran a bit and I am experiencing stalling and break up of power. I did use it a lot last year for some very short runs, running work items to back of yard and shutting it down. It only has 400 miles on it.

I am guessing I need a spark plug change. I guess I have to remove the center console to get at the spark plugs correct? I know it has pop up pins to take out to remove console.

Is there an easier way to change the plugs? I know dumb question.

Jim P.

#2 ·
Yes, you have to remove the center console to get to the spark plugs. The biggest key is to make sure the parking brake is pulled up/engaged as far as possible to allow the console to slide up. You might even want to loosen the adjuster near the rear axle to allow it to pull up further.

Back to the original issue, don't focus on the spark plugs being the only possible reason. I think they are definitely a possible cause. Would still recommend pulling the center console but would do a thorough visual inspection of all the wiring......whenever you say something has been sitting in storage mice and rodents chewing up something is the first thing I suspect. I would also put some fresh gas and some additive in the tank just to make sure. Don't know how long it was in storage but I have several mowers of different sizes that sit all winter and always start up for me in the spring with the same gas they had in the fall.

#3 ·
Yes, you have to remove the center console to get to the spark plugs. The biggest key is to make sure the parking brake is pulled up/engaged as far as possible to allow the console to slide up. You might even want to loosen the adjuster near the rear axle to allow it to pull up further.

Back to the original issue, don't focus on the spark plugs being the only possible reason. I think they are definitely a possible cause. Would still recommend pulling the center console but would do a thorough visual inspection of all the wiring......whenever you say something has been sitting in storage mice and rodents chewing up something is the first thing I suspect. I would also put some fresh gas and some additive in the tank just to make sure. Don't know how long it was in storage but I have several mowers of different sizes that sit all winter and always start up for me in the spring with the same gas they had in the fall.
Thanks for getting back to me. Who ever designed the spark plugs to be removed after taking off the center console should be shot.

After much cursing and swearing, I got the center console off finally. What a PIA. I found the one spark plug on the drivers side, pulled it and it don't look that bad. Where the hell is the other one. This is a V twin and has two plugs correct???

FYI....all the wires look good that I can see. Cant see the second plug..????

Jim P.

#12 ·
I wouldn't think you need plugs with only 400 miles. I'd check the gas or see if maybe a squirrel built a nest in the intake tube
[/QUOTE. Having same trouble. This makes twice. Last time put a hotter plug in it and I suspect short run times and old gas being the culprit. On mine it has been the front cylinder fouling. Rear looks decent both times. Anyone having trouble finding rear spark plug. Coil for that cyl sits on top . Just follow the wire down and you may have to bend flexible plenum inwards to see it after removing the plumming

#6 ·
Spark plug access is definitely not an endearing factor of the Teryx! That's what happens when you take an ATV engine, package it in the center of the vehicle and then try to isolate the cockpit from noise and heat as much as possible. The good news is with EFI the plugs shouldn't need to be accessed all that often. I wouldn't think your problem is the spark plugs at 400 miles.

#8 ·
Hi Guys: Well the plugs are changed, the back cylinder plug was really fouled. I also drained the gas, it had to be going on two years old, I really didn't use the Teryx much last year. I kind of guessed it was bad gas, but by that time the plugs were all ready fouled. Everything is GOOD, ran it for about 5 miles, full power is back.!!!

Lessons learned, thanks to 6.2Blazers advice, in finding the second plug I located the plug wire coming off the coil and followed it back. But you have to also remove the back part of the console base, it has like an air dam attached to it. Then pull back and look under two or three layers of rubber sheets. Remember it is a V twin. The plug is on the back cylinder facing you on the passenger side. The exact opposite as the front. I replaced the plugs with same NGK's.

Remember when removing the center console, the hardest part is getting it over your hand break. Pull it Alllll the way back as far as it will go. Tip the back of the console up in the air at a angle then pull back. I also removed the two lower side panels on each side of the console for easier removal. Not to mention I took the two seats completely out for maneuverability in pulling out the console.

It went together a lot quicker than tearing it apart. It has EFI so normally your plugs shouldn't get fouled. But when and if they do be prepared... LOL

Jim P.

#9 ·
I have a '15 model and it started acting up at around 1,200 miles and found the front plug fouled. Definitely agree it's a little of PITA to get to, but it's also one of those things that once you do it once the second time if much quicker. I consider myself a decent home mechanic but it did take me a awhile to find the rear plug!

From my experience doing a lot of the "start it up and run around the yard for a minute or two and turn it off" causes a lot of fouled plugs. In between trailrides I did a lot of that just taking the kids for a ride around the yard or running down the neighbors, and only using light throttle. My dad had a lot of trouble with ATV's because all he used them for was work in the yard and putted around.

#13 ·
Don't want to be a thread necromancer, but I have a 2016 Teryx4 that recently started to idle at about half speed. Power was about 10% of what it should be, and it would stall if I didn't feather the pedal. I replaced air and fuel filter, and seeing no difference, pulled the center console (with wounds to prove it).

I pulled the front spark plug cable and started it - it sounded exactly the same. Realizing that the front cylinder wasn't firing, I pulled the plug and grounded it while cranking to check for spark. No spark. Not knowing if it was the plug (which was only wet but not fouled), I pulled the rear plug and connected it to the front coil. It sparked nice and bright. I put the front plug on the rear coil, no spark. Pretty obvious that the front plug had failed internally. This is the stock NGK plug.

I picked up a new identical set from NAPA and the thing runs as good as new. I have about 1000 miles on the unit.

I only post this to reaffirm that plugs do go bad, even on low mileage units. It's a beatch to get to plugs as others have said.

#14 ·
Don't want to be a thread necromancer, but I have a 2016 Teryx4 that recently started to idle at about half speed. Power was about 10% of what it should be, and it would stall if I didn't feather the pedal. I replaced air and fuel filter, and seeing no difference, pulled the center console (with wounds to prove it).

I pulled the front spark plug cable and started it - it sounded exactly the same. Realizing that the front cylinder wasn't firing, I pulled the plug and grounded it while cranking to check for spark. No spark. Not knowing if it was the plug (which was only wet but not fouled), I pulled the rear plug and connected it to the front coil. It sparked nice and bright. I put the front plug on the rear coil, no spark. Pretty obvious that the front plug had failed internally. This is the stock NGK plug.

I picked up a new identical set from NAPA and the thing runs as good as new. I have about 1000 miles on the unit.

I only post this to reaffirm that plugs do go bad, even on low mileage units. It's a beatch to get to plugs as others have said.
My '15 had very similar symptoms due to a plug going bad. This has happened twice and both times around 1,000 miles (odometer was right around 1,000 miles the first time and right around 2,000 miles the second time). It took a little longer start and wanted to have some throttle, but would idle somewhat rough. Also had very little power. This last winter was the last time it had the issue. I pulled it out of the garage after a snow storm to go run around and noticed the lack of power shortly after pulling out of the garage. Turned around in a mild ditch that had about 4" of snow and it would barely had enough power to pull back onto the road.

#15 ·
Ok so we know plugs can go bad and get fouled. My Teryx is acting up again, same as before. I know the gas was from last year, but I put a gas stabilizer in it last fall. I drained the tank about 3 gallons and put fresh gas in. It ran well for a while but started missing again. I even put a couple gallons of Super High Test in to no avail. I even tried Sea Foam a gas booster and cleaner. It runs better but still wants to stall at idle when it gets hot. Damn I am not ready to pull the plugs again on this beast.

#16 ·
Well I bit the bullet. My buddy came over and wanted to go for a trail ride and I said nope, I said it stuttering and missing. I said I probably fouled the plugs again with bad gas. He said so lets change them, I laughed and he started taking out the seats and popping buttons out of the main console.

I must say this time it went a lot faster because I knew what I was doing, with his help it took a little over an hour. It is still a nightmare to get that center console over the hand brake and vice versa to put it back on.

I wasn't taking any chances, I drained the gas tank, only about 4 gallons and filled with non ethanol 90 octane gas.

Yep runs great again. If you some how foul your plugs, gas or other wise there is no going back, change them. The plugs I pulled didn't look that bad, but there was black rings at the base of the plug. I used stock NKG's again.

Lesson learned, keep your gas fresh, don't let your plugs get fouled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.