Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My riding group typically runs an average speed of 15-18 mph. We ride the mountains of TN, VA, and Ky. I recall reading somewhere that maximum suggested speed in Low is 18mph anything faster and the belt will overheat. I am looking for opinions/suggestions on what others are doing for that mid range of 18-25 mph?
On the hills and through the rough stuff, Low it is, but guys in T2's and PoPo's will hit a straight away and leave me because they are in high,I have to stop and upshift and then play catch up. Am I being too overly concerned with what speed I should keep it under in Low?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I leave in mine in high gear unless its a steep climb or I am about to hit a mudhole. We ride at about 10 mph mostly. Havent had any issues so far.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I also used high range less than 10 miles an hour mostly , If I get to a spot where the vehicle feels like it's straining to move and I have to give it to much throttle Then I will go to low range until I get past that spot . For the most part I ride on nice dirt roads and trails but you know there's always that one great big mudhole you either got to go through or go around somehow And I normally go around which is usually very technical So how use low

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
I'm running low range up to about 20 MPH riding in Bell & Harlan County, KY (same terrain you're probably running). I might be behind when I shift out of low range, but I pass the PoPo's easily when they break a belt just down the trail! lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running low range up to about 20 MPH riding in Bell & Harlan County, KY (same terrain you're probably running). I might be behind when I shift out of low range, but I pass the PoPo's easily when they break a belt just down the trail! lol
Yeah, we ride the same terrain. The T2's in my group stay in high, but our thinking was the gear ratio was setup different in the T4 due to the extra weight. Interesting that other replies say they run in High at 10mph, it would be nice to not shift so much.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I run just like MattNO3 & Tn22...20 & under I'm in low, anything above I'm in high. My opinion is you're gonna burn up a belt faster running in high at such low speeds. I was advised by my dealer on the speed,gear ratio!(if that means anything)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
20+ high -20 low. I ride in eastern ky. 2400 miles on first belt and was just past wear limit then

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Y'all are saying T2's are using high range at low speeds, I'm assuming the old T2? If that's the case I don't see how they aren't burning belts. The old clutch set up doesn't hold tension all the time like the T4 and new T2.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Run it in high all you want, it isn't going to hurt anything. If the motor pulls high without bogging you're good to go, if it starts lugging run it in low. Running in high gear isn't going to hurt the belt like it used to with the old clutches. Steep climbs and deep mud are really the only time that low is required.

Reactions: 98gsx

·
Administrator
Christ is King
4,229 Posts
Cruising around improved roads, high at any speed. Technical trails, steep hills and mud - keep it in low.

·
Registered
460 Posts
good topic. i have a 2011 demo unit with 14 miles on it. gonna take it out for first time. i noticed running in neighborhood at low speeds in high i can smell the belt. i stop when i change from low to high, you guys shift on the fly? thats makes better sense if its possable?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Ur 2011 has the old style clutch . Under 20 mph use low all the time. Never ever shift while moving.

Reactions: tree

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
good topic. i have a 2011 demo unit with 14 miles on it. gonna take it out for first time. i noticed running in neighborhood at low speeds in high i can smell the belt. i stop when i change from low to high, you guys shift on the fly? thats makes better sense if its possable?

No shifting on fly I only run low pullin some 1 out or dragging tree make shure you gas on it until it starts rolling then your good

2011 sport lsr mid travel 28 Itp baja cross all the way around with some elkas

·
Registered
528 Posts
For extended periods of time

Under 20mph = low
Over 20mph = high

I usually stick to that, but most areas I ride have alot of hills and mud in the valleys.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I seem to remember Vforce johns clutch will let you do 30 or so in low

·
Registered
460 Posts
thanx guys. next trip is king of the hammers. so i will be in low most of that week :eek:illeak: but when i get back to my open desert trips it will be some high range. :pepper1:

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I can get 45 plus mph in low. Have had it up to 50 in low but she was screaming rpm wise. Now that I changed my weights in clutch 45 mph is tops in low. But I also have vforcejohn stage 3 with machining done. I stay in low unless im on open road. But stock clutch it would be alot different. Like stated above 15-20mph low and 20 and up high. Its all in your riding style to.

Reactions: Whiskey and tree

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I run in low anytime we are offroading. Only time I am in high is when we run on the road.

I figure the less strain on the belt, the better. When off road, I usually have passengers and run less than 20 mph anyway.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ur 2011 has the old style clutch . Under 20 mph use low all the time. Never ever shift while moving.

I only use low if I need the torque when when I'm rock crawling, or climbing a steep hill. Speed doesn't really play a factor in my reasoning for using Hi,...especially as high of a speed as 20 mph.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts